Favorite Analog Software Synth?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
qube
Gear: Logic 10, loads of plugins.
Band: Perge

Re: Favorite Analog Software Synth?

Post by qube » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm

iProg wrote:GMedia Minimonsta, String Machine, impOSCar
GForce M-tron
Arturia CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V
Sonic Projects OP-X
U-he Ace
Native Instruments FM7
String Machine, impOSCar, M-tron & FM7 aren't modelled emulations of analog synthesis though.

/pendant.

They are very good though.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Personally I really like Arturia's Jupiter 8V and Moog ModularV. I also really like the Korg Legacy Analog Edition. I think the MonoPoly sounds pretty good on it.

Robo-2k
Gear: DX7-II FD, Nord Wave, Prophet '08, DW-8000, JX-8P, Polysix, JV-1080, Matrix 6R, Matrix 1000

Post by Robo-2k » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Check out the guys at XILS Lab.

They made a recreation of the VCS3 (with many good press reviews) and the RSF Polykobol (some ultra-rare french vintage analog polysynth) which they call "Poly KB II".

I only have the Poly KB II and i can assure you it sounds HUGE! Best plugin i ever had so far.
I must mention that it's also a rather large CPU-eater so don't count on having 8-voice polyphony on a laptop. But the sonic quality is unequaled.

also notice: these are pure plugins, no stand-alone available!

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:44 pm

I have a soft spot for Ultra-Analog, and z3ta+ [although that's not a subtractive emulation at all.]

For subtractive synthesis, Albino was nice, and ACE sounds good, but I have a hard time not using Omnisphere and Trilian for that Spectrasonics sheen and authentic sampling skills. Trilian is so much more than a bass synth; some of the Tetra/Moog stuff on there is awesome. Now, sample based they may be, but Omni also has a kick-a*s subtractive synth right there. It really is the most complete software solution for my musical needs, but YMMV.

Worth a mention to the freebies, too - try Oatmeal and Synth1, or ErsDrums for a lovely Vermona-style analog noodling. Here's a tip - connect ErsDrums up to a decent Compressor/Channel Strip, and it shines.
Less words more noise

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Doc Tonewheel wrote:Sonic Projects OP-X for analog sounds
Yes! How could I forget OP-X...

One of the sweetest, analog sounding softsynths around, and it has the best set of presets of them all. Seriously, go here: http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/audioclips.html and listen to all the clips.

A really well programmed piece of software.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:43 am

I also like the sound of U-he A.C.E., but I admit being intimidated by the interface. I am leaning towards U-he Zebra. It's got rich sounds and very powerful oscillators. Just be sure to watch as many tutorials about it as you can find about it so that you know what you're getting into. It's looks really powerful to me, but it might have a steep learning curve. IDK for sure. I'm still learning but I might get it in a month or two.

IRL303

Post by IRL303 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:45 am

TAL-Bassline Synthesizer (SH-101 Emulator)
Audiorealism ABL2 (Roland TB303 Emulator)
Poi-Zone by Image Line
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others

alexnicosia

Post by alexnicosia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Check out U-He's ACE. Probably my favorite analog modeling soft synth as it sounds quite wonky and "analog". I personally prefer it over the Arturia stuff.

http://www.acesynth.com/

Synth Buddha

Post by Synth Buddha » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 am

Omnisphere / Trilian combo does great sounding analog emulations. They may not be truly authentic sounding (well, duh, they are software synthesizers), but they can sound absolutely fantastic. Dune also does some really nice analogish sounds. D-Cam Synth Squad too - check out Himalaya's vintage soundset, there's some awesome stuff there. ACE is terrific as well - the sound quality really is great, and it's an inspiring synth too use. So is Zebra, which can actually sound quite warm in a "belly rubbing way" when put in the hands of the right programmer.

Those would be some of my favorites.

wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: LoveRock, T40, MG500, JX10 4.0, D-50, Juno 60, VZ10M, CZ1, HT6000, K3m, SX240, Lambda, DSS1, Yamaha SY2, DX11, SQ80, MultiTrak, SammichSID
Band: Gospel Choirs

Post by wjmwpg » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:17 am

D-Collector wrote: Yes! How could I forget OP-X...

One of the sweetest, analog sounding softsynths around, and it has the best set of presets of them all. Seriously, go here: http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/audioclips.html and listen to all the clips.

A really well programmed piece of software.
Thanks . . . I just wasted an hour falling in love with those presets, only to find out that it doesn't play well with mac! :evil:

I will also pipe in that I LOVE impOSCar by Gforce - http://www.gforcesoftware.com/ins_imposcar.php
I realize that it's not an emulation of a purely "analogue" synth (if you want to nitpick about DCO's), but who cares if you fall in love with the sounds (and I really fell in love with the sounds). It is an emulation of a synth that's 25+ years old, and the layout and operation is very much what you expect of a vintage "analogue" synth. Give it a shot - you'll probably love it.
But don't take my word for it: http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/imposcar.php

And, check this out because it's crazy - some guy in Germany makes dedicated controllers for VST synths that are heavily based on the look of the original synths the VST's are modelled from. Here's a video of him playing the impOSCar 2 VST with the impOSCar 2 controller he made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfvp-R3w ... re=related
and you can check out his other work on his site here:
http://www.synth-project.de/Welcome.html
I realize that I've drifted off topic a bit here but this guy's work blows my mind. He's an artist and his medium is VST controllers. As far as I can tell he DOES NOT make them for sale.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 am

Zynaddsubfx / Yoshimi can do nice analogue sounds. And alsa modular synth can sound terrific.
Stephen(2)

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Another vote for FXpansion's DCAM Synth Squad. By far my favorite.

A lot of people really dig LennarDigital's Sylenth1 and NI's Massive. I'm not sure why they're not getting any love here. They are extremely popular elsewhere.

2 freebies worth getting are Ichiro Toda's Synth-1, and TAL Noisemaker. I have some nice commercial vst synths and I still use synth-1 all the time.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Sat May 14, 2011 5:30 am

Anyone here used Sonic Projects Stringer?

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:05 am

Imposcar.
Zebra.
Polysix.

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 pm

+1 WoW TimewARP2600