NI FM7 or FM8

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: NI FM7 or FM8

Post by Pro5 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:54 pm

FM8 was better for me. I love it. It's a great synth. It hasn't fully replaced my SY77 but for more reasons than just sound quality. FM8 has a lot of uses. :mrgreen:

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:56 pm

iProg wrote:With my new Roland A-500 Pro MIDI controller, the FM8 is my favorite softsynth along with Arturia JP-8V.
To be able to tweak FM sounds with a hardware controller, based on patches from the DX-7 and FM7 library and other downloadable famous FM sounds has made FM synthesis much more fun!
I'm also tweaking AFM sounds on my SY77 via a BCR midi box (am still working on the self made preset - spread over 6 presets!! haha)

mute

Post by mute » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 pm

FM8 is more intuitive, easier to use, and has more features. It is its own beast and isn't a FM7 replacement.

FM7 has a more traditional, DX-inspired approach and is also easy to use but has that DX-ish learning curve (which they did a great job of laying out and making sense of). It has a limited amount of ops, routing, and fx. FM7 very much carries with it the cult-ish character of hardware in limitation and approach, which is attractive and rare for software.

Both are extremely respectable FM synths (best out there imo), and you can't go wrong choosing one or the other.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 pm

To name something fundamental: FM8 has more effects. And they can play a radical role in the whole sound shaping process. I can spend countless moments shaping my sounds using nothing but the effects section. Start with white noise coming from the operators, if you want that noise to form the fundamentals of a snare drum, you'll spend most if your time in FM8 with both EQ effects, and additional stuff like the cabinet, the overdrive etc.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:15 pm

In addition to all written above, I think it is very cheap.

FM8 + a great MIDI controller = A hands on FM synth with real-time hardware parameter tweaking + an infinite amount of presets for the price of a DX-7II (at least in swedish prices)

A sexy thing is to be able to tweak the original presets of the DX-7 and polish them. A great conception for all FM programming, watching how that changes the matrix and harmonics, and learn to program them from scratch.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:04 am

CS_TBL wrote: And as a rule of thumb; presets suck! :mrgreen:
Though I would have to add that FM7/FM8 have some of the best sounding presets of any synth I've heard, whether hardware or software.