Audio Damage Tattoo not in host

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
AstroDan

Audio Damage Tattoo not in host

Post by AstroDan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:03 am

Hallo. I just bought this a couple of days ago and the download/registration went well but this will not show up in my MacBook Pro. I e-mailed the guy over the weekend but he's probably like anyone, doesn't want to work on the weekend. Can't blame him. lol

I'm running 10.6.5 and have Repaired Permissions and even cleaned up with Onyx. It is nowhere on my drive. Any help would be great.

Thanks...
Too futurist to live.

xmodz
Band: ThreeHives

Re: Audio Damage Tattoo not in host

Post by xmodz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 am

They usually do some CS over the weekend but they may not have gotten to you yet. I'd be willing to bet that if you wait till tomorrow morning, Chris will shoot you an email back. He's a good guy.

Your post wasn't that detailed. Did you run the installer already and just can't find tattoo in your plugin folder after installation? Or are you just unable to find where the installer was saved after it was downloaded? Or just your DAW can't find the plugin?

If you can't find the plugin after installation, check in the system folders under Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ and if you installed the AU version of the plugin, it will have a .component extension. I would just search for all files on your computer with the desired file extension and see if it comes up.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

Also you may need to rescan your plugin folder in the DAW prefs before it'll show up.

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks for getting back, Stab and Xmodz.

The download went fine, I entered every authorization code and the installer informed me the installation was complete and I "could now use this plug-in". It just isn't in any folder. In Library>Audio>Plug-in>VST where it is supposed to be there's just a page of text. But I've searched in every folder and the only thing on my drive is the installer and PDF manual. I've searched "Audio Damage", "Tattoo", "Plug in", "Drum"...

I will give the rescan a shot. Hopefully I'll hear from Chris in a bit. Thanks guys.
Too futurist to live.

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 am

Or are you just unable to find where the installer was saved after it was downloaded?
The installer is there...
Or just your DAW can't find the plugin?
It cannot.
Too futurist to live.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:19 pm

There are two possibilities; one, (I have a few AD plugins, but not at home to check now) was there a VST version or the AU version (or are you sure it installed both? Check the Components directory in the plug-ins location to see if it installed the AU version...) If you're certain both versions were there, then there are usually two places that plugins could reside, and one is in your home directory /users/USER/library/audio/plug-in/VST and /library/audio/plug-in/VST ...

Check both... and if its in one but not the other, then perhaps you have to either MOVE it to the system location, or tell your DAW where to look for the plugins.

If I recall correctly, though, All my AD plugs installed in the system location....
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi Silikon. I tried everything you suggested to no avail.

I went ahead and downloaded Reaper. It shows up there. It is awesome.

I had Reaper before on my PPC Mac, but some of the features were buggy. Hopefully it will rule on my new Intel thingy. I love that DAW.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.
Too futurist to live.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by silikon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:11 pm

If the plugin shows up in Reaper, then it should show up in other DAW's -- you never said if you're running logic, live, PT, DP.... so I couldn't ascertain any weird DAW issues.

If it shows up in Reaper, then it would be present in one of the plugin locations. For future reference, you can use spotlight to search for things on your hard drive, and it's pretty comprehensive. There are other ways, if you're a unix head, but that's usually the easiest way.

For the length of time that I've used a Mac for audio production, the plugs end up in one of two places...

/Library/Audio/Plugins/VST (or VST3 for VST plugs)
/Library/Audio/Plugins/Components (for audio units)

OR

your users' home directory with the same path structure...

So if your user is astrodan
/Users/astrodan/Library/Audio/Plugins/ (VST/VST3/Components)

-N
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:25 am

AstroDan wrote:In Library>Audio>Plug-in>VST where it is supposed to be there's just a page of text.

What does this mean, exactly?

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 am

Haha, sorry - I was using Logic Express initially. Didn't mean to be enigmatic.
In Library>Audio>Plug-in>VST where it is supposed to be there's just a page of text.
I can't open it in my spotlight finder deal. It's just a little piece of paper icon like a document. There are 2 of them at 17 MB and 52 MB so I'm guessing the bigger one is the plug-in.

Anyway, Chris emailed me and said that it's possible I'm running Logic in 64 bit mode and it is not validating the 32 bit Tattoo and he recommends I run it at 32 just for start up. I will try that shortly.
Too futurist to live.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Did you just install the VST version? IIRC Logic is AU only, which would explain it.

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Both AU and VST show in Reaper.
Too futurist to live.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by silikon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:02 pm

AstroDan wrote:I can't open it in my spotlight finder deal. It's just a little piece of paper icon like a document. There are 2 of them at 17 MB and 52 MB so I'm guessing the bigger one is the plug-in.
Please correct me if I'm off base, but judging by your statement, you are confused because they don't look like normal binary packages one would expect.

Problem here is these are plugins, so they won't run on their own without a host (DAW, etc) to instantiate them. Some of my plugs also appear as a large textfile icon, but that's just because there is no associated icon for the plugin.

If, when you found it in spotlight, you expected to open it up as a standalone application, that's where the confusion lies.

Also, Logic (express, pro) is an Audio Units DAW (it doesn't support VST plugins). Also in logic, if it doesn't show up under 'instruments' it may show up under one of the other areas when you try to instantiate a plugin into one of the inserts. I unfortunately don't have tattoo, so I can't speak to that.

If you found those files in the places I mentioned, and Reaper opens up (at least) the VST version, then it stands to reason that you might either be overlooking it in logic somewhere, or you could open up the preferences and re-validate the plugins... then it should be clear to you at that point if it saw the plugin or not. It could have been disabled for some reason (perhaps along what Chris mentioned)...

...Also regarding the 64 bit mode, you would know when you started up Logic if it says "64 bit" at the startup window... And If I recall properly, it does scan the plugins folder on startup, so you should see it fly by.... but if not, you can open up the plugin validator and look a little deeper.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:53 am

I think I am a little confused. lol But yeah, they don't open up in Finder - no supported format.

I think Logic just isn't validating the plug-ins. They work fine in Reaper.
Too futurist to live.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:04 am

You can never open plugins in the finder, they can only run in a supporting DAW. It could be that it doesn't meet the full Apple spec for AU so Logic won't let it run, I remember a similar thing in a studio I was working in a few years ago, that's what it ended up being.