Midi Via USB

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
intruder369
Gear: Studiologic VMK-188 Plus. Yamaha PSR-E303. SoftSynths - Omnisphere - Camel Audio Alchemy - and many more.

Midi Via USB

Post by intruder369 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi everyone, I do not wish to intrude but I have a couple of questions that are puzzling me at the moment regarding Midi connections Via USB.

At the moment I only have a Yamaha PSR E303 Keyboard to which I hook up to my PC via a cheap midi interface lead which I purchased from Amazon for around £10. The lead works fine and probably just as good as the one Yamaha where selling for some 40 odd pound or so, and I am also getting the best out of my Keyboard by the use of Cubase and Ableton Live and various software synths such as Omnisphere/Camel Audio/Native Instruments and so on.

I must say that since going back into the world of soft synths things have come on in leaps and bounds since I was last into them back in around 2002, and I must say that it turns my cheap Yammy into something with more class and quality regarding sound.

Now since getting back into the bug of software synths I have got the hitch to get myself another full size weighted Keyboard. Something of which I loved years ago for Piano and light Strings and so on. Only this time because of funds I have decided to buy a Midi Controller Keyboard, which works out cheaper than getting another Piano, and have had on order for the last month at Thomann's The Fatar StudioLogic VMK-188 Plus. To which they told me finally on Friday it's been shipped after waiting for new stock to arrive. So I am expecting it to arrive some time in the middle of this week, and hopefully in one piece, after all the stories I have come upon via the net, for this particular Midi Controller Keyboard.

Now whats puzzling me is how to go about setting up the VMK-188 and the Yammy to get the best out of them, so I can use them both via Midi. Is it just a case of plugging the both into my computer via the USB and everything should work out alright. Or is it a case of hooking one keyboard to the other via Midi Leads and the master one into my computer via the USB cable.

The other thing I will be purchasing next is the Tascam US-600 USB Audio/Midi Device. This purchase is very much for the use of my Guitar and Mic's for Vocals more so than for the actual Midi keyboards, or would it be better to use the Tascam also for the keyboards, rather than just plugging them both into the computer via their USB cables.

So could you please give me some good advice, which would come in handy for when I get around sometime later this week setting up the both Keyboards.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Re: Midi Via USB

Post by Zarith » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:21 am

You can connect as many USB device as you want, your DAW softwares can all access them.

Keep you Yamaha connected with it MIDI>USB cable, and connect the FATAR with its own USB port.

Once you get your Tascam Audio/MIDI interface, you could connect them via its MIDI ports, if this is a more convenient solution for you. But it doesn't really matter...

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:31 am

Zarith wrote:You can connect as many USB device as you want, your DAW softwares can all access them.

Keep you Yamaha connected with it MIDI>USB cable, and connect the FATAR with its own USB port.

Once you get your Tascam Audio/MIDI interface, you could connect them via its MIDI ports, if this is a more convenient solution for you. But it doesn't really matter...

Not necessarily, Windows XP has some wonky things with MIDI devices.... (10 midi device limit)

intruder369
Gear: Studiologic VMK-188 Plus. Yamaha PSR-E303. SoftSynths - Omnisphere - Camel Audio Alchemy - and many more.

Post by intruder369 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks for the reply Zarith. I think I will stick with the USB ports for them both, I have enough ports anyway. I am using Windows 7 64 so XP will not be a problem Ashe, but you was not to know as I did not state in my post. But thanks for the advice from you both much aprreciated.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

intruder369 wrote:Thanks for the reply Zarith. I think I will stick with the USB ports for them both, I have enough ports anyway. I am using Windows 7 64 so XP will not be a problem Ashe, but you was not to know as I did not state in my post. But thanks for the advice from you both much aprreciated.

I've heard varying data on win 7 64- I've heard that it still had the 10 device limit, that it has a limit of 32 devices, and that it has 'no limit' ( probably a much higher limit like 99, 128 or 256)