Step-seq button midi control **

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
moog-lover

Step-seq button midi control **

Post by moog-lover » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:24 am

Hi guys, moog-lover, the newbie. I couldn't decide for a sampler/stepseq hardware so I turned to look for some software meanwhile, and I always seem to be complaining about the things that products don't have, but this time I was surprised.

Before posting I revised all this software: kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft[]=i&soft[]=e&soft[]=h&soft[]=d&soft[]=w&type[]=3&type[]=31&type[]=75&f[]=0&f[]=au&f[]=dx&f[]=ladspa&f[]=rtas&f[]=vst&linux=1&osx=1 &win=1&free=1&com=1&sf=0&receptor=&de=0&sort=1&rpp=100

which I think it contains at least the 80 percent of world drum's software... and I couldn't find any one in which you can control the step buttons via MIDI, as to map the 16th steps into my keyboard, instead of using the mouse.
I guess that it can be difficult for programmers to do so because it is essencial for playing.

AudioRealism announced in 2009 on their forum it was possible that following upgrades of their drum machine vst would have this feature. (http://www.audiorealism.se/phpBB2/viewt ... 3d23ca82ca)

although my first goal was a drum sampler+step sequencer software with that midi feature, it seems too ambicious at this time.

Does anyone know about something about it?

Pd. I've just download the D16's reverb "Toraverb" and it sounds wonderful
Last edited by moog-lover on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Re: Step-seq button midi control

Post by cartesia » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:46 pm

I asked both D16 and Audiorealism to incorporate this functionality into their drum machines and as far as I know neither ever did (audiorealism said they would.. but..). It's a very strange omission IMO, because a big part of emulating a drum machine is having it feel like a drum machine. I guess these people just come from a software-centric perspective.

I recommend you get Max or Max for Live + Live.. Max easily allows you to do this and it's very simple.. welll for a decent sized sequencer you need HEAPS of connections made, but its just like the same connection for each step, so it isnt complicated onec you know how to make a 1 step sequencer.

Alternately, Numerology might have this functionality nowadays. Haven't checked, but I know some people use a launchpad in this way.

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Oh..thanks.
I've tried the iDrum and it's very good, but it doesn't map step buttons...it's rare that absolutely anyone has this feature.
In max4live there's a great device for APC40/20, the Mark Egloff's APC Step Sequencer, I would use it but I'm keeping the money for some hardware.

I didn't see many max step sequencers oriented to x0x style...

I started learning max programming and it is really difficult for me but i'll try

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:59 am

luckily a step sequencer is actually very easy in max (just loooots of connections to make because you need to make each step on its own)

Go through tutorials for the following:

- Learn how to capture a midi controller button press (and use a 'checkbox' and have the button check it on/off)

- Learn how to send a midi note from max to either another software, or play a sample (there should be plenty of samplers built for max already).

- Learn how to make a synchronised pulse (doesnt have to be midi clock unless you want to sync up with other equipment)

- when the checkbox is switched off or on, have it alter the direction of a Gate. - each step will have one of these gates, When the clock pulse comes through the gate will either send it to nothing, or send it to a note generator )first collecting the note information for that step - note value, gate time, etc - which you can store as a number and alter with a midi knob or mouse)

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:21 am

thanks man!

I've got news from both developers (almost at the same time):
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 am

five 12's numerology will be able to this easily with a couple of the midi generator/processor modules

http://five12.com/n2.html

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Yeah, that's basically what they said to me about 18months ago...

check out numerology

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:01 am

Supposing that this feature is added...i will control where to put the beats. but i'm still thinking if i'll be able to control everything with some step sequencer (for example the tr-505)...I mean, change the patterns, change the pads (kick, snare, hihat...) from the tr-505.

I guess that it isn't possible...

Did anyone have a successful experience on controlling pc's samples from some tr-style interface??

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Re: Step-seq button midi control **

Post by cartesia » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:07 am

it's definitely possible.. it would be downright basic to add the features in terms of programming.. I have no idea why they dont though :(

Moog-lover you should give up and join me in my hardware sequencer quest.. I'm making my own step sequencer.. simple, CHEAP, effective. Granted there is the cyclus-2, but it has a terrible interface.

What I am looking at at the moment will be called SEQtronic.. details real soon once the prototype is complete.. I should be able to sell them for $100 each if it ends up being a worthwhile piece of gear and solid enoguh. Screw boutique synth companies! (due to state of market could probably sell it for 250-300 easy)

moog-lover

Re: Step-seq button midi control **

Post by moog-lover » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:12 am

Cartesia, great news from you
Send me some pic when you can, i'm really interested in your seqtronic
this days I've drowned poorly into my quest again and I found something really really fine, and it has all the schematics but diy stuff blinds me a bit, although it doesn't seem too difficult