What is the best FREEWARE for Pads?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
toad

Re: What is the best FREEWARE for Pads?

Post by toad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Try Crystal: http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/about.html
It's quite old, but i think it was updated when he released an iOS version. Some people used to call it the "poor man's Absynth" (if that means anything to you...)

-T

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks Toad, the interface bugs me but some of the sounds I'm looking for are there, but editing them is not so easy.

I've been looking at Toxic Biohazard (not freeware) and the interface is a lot easier to use. There is a file browser that allows searching by name, so I can just type "pad" and all of the files with pad in the name and folder contents of folders with pad in the name shows up. It speeds things up a lot. I'ts not freeware, but I did buy it so I should use it.

I did remember Zebralette, and those are very much the type of sounds I'm looking for, so I might just stick with those two and see what I can come up with.

Also I'm going to go back to Kore Player and see if I can find the pads where reverb can be turned off. Most of them have reverb turned on automatically for every single preset, but some of them do have an editable reverb parameter I realised. Kore Player is the most restrictive when it comes to editing though. It's basically just a collection of presets. However, the sound quality is usually really really good and very close to what I'm looking for.

I like the polished wavetable sounds.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:22 pm

astroidmist wrote:I actually specifically want to avoid using reverb for pads. i feel that a good pad should sound good on it's own without reverb. I really don't like the sound of reverb; it makes everything sound like it's locked inside of a huge factory. I like my reverbs sounding close and full, not cold and distant.
It's easy to tweak reverb plugins to do this: try looking at the decay time and wet/dry mix for a start.

Regarding pads, many many VST instruments are good at this, even bog-standard subtractive synthesis types. Adding some effects, such as ring modulation, subtle pitch-shifting and phaser/chorus/flanger can work wonders; certainly capable of the stuff that's on your SoundCloud page. Also, detuning second oscillators, and random octave arpeggiators with long amp decay can work wonders.

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:06 pm

what about PADsynth in ZynAddSubFx?
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc/ ... Dsynth.htm

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Zynaddsubfx (and Yoshimi...) - epic synth! With an epic UI!!! :-D
Stephen(2)

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:26 pm

nogginj wrote:what about PADsynth in ZynAddSubFx?
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc/ ... Dsynth.htm
Hmmmm, the GUI scares me to death, but I'll give it a try. Some of the demo sounds are real nice. Thanks

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Best ..... Subjective , but IMHO SQ8L .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 pm

ZynAddSubFX actually did have some quality mellow sounds, but the interface choked. I couldn't get it to work in any of my DAWs but it did work in SAVIhost. Oh well... onward... I'll keep trying other things.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:28 am

Hey thanks Nogginj for telling me about ZynAddSubFX. I finally got it working today in Reaper. It crashes a bit and seems to hog CPU, but the sound quality is exactly what I'm looking for. I think/hope I can make it work. :mrgreen:

For the other pad sounds, I settled on Toxic Biohazard and Kore Player and found a few in Surge to play around with too.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Just start layering sounds on top of each other and batch processing them. Any synth will do amazing pads if you're mixing it right.

Get a free FM synthesizer like FMMF, then a traditional subtractive one and start layering them and adding effects.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks guys