Moog new "Little Secret"

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Moog new "Little Secret"

Post by tekkentool » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:53 am

Because it wouldn't be a thread about an apple product without some good old fashioned bitching.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:02 am

MitchK1989 wrote:well, to me it makes perfect sense that a guy who avoids VSTs would be amazed by an iPad music app which is roughly the specs of a VST from 2003... It just took having 'moog' printed on it to get over the bias...
VSE needs a "Like" button :D
w00t

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:34 am

JayEm wrote:VSE needs a "Like" button :D
YOU'RE RIGHT!!!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:21 am

I've thought a few times that more sites should have facebook like social features, then I noticed all of those times was when I was tracking people down, finding peoples addresses, previous online histories and doing other such creepy things and I realised the less sites that have facebook like social features the better.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
cartesia wrote:I predict dissappointment
Okay... you've got the curmudgeonly analog guy of all time holding an iPad and looking amazed... and you predict disappointment? Okeeee.

It's not about analog vs. digital or anything like that, Im just saying personally.. Id like to see alot more 'out there'.. waaaay out there ideas

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:16 pm

cartesia wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
cartesia wrote:I predict dissappointment
Okay... you've got the curmudgeonly analog guy of all time holding an iPad and looking amazed... and you predict disappointment? Okeeee.

It's not about analog vs. digital or anything like that, Im just saying personally.. Id like to see alot more 'out there'.. waaaay out there ideas
Well, fair enough... but maybe you should wait until you see what this idea is before you predict disappointment.
That being said, I think the direct brain connection or anything to do with robots is still a ways out.

The point of this thing isn't iPad at all. The point is the thing. People are caught up on the iPad part because that is the means of delivery, and while that aspect is relevant, it's not what this is about.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:47 am

Ipod Touch/Macbook Pro won't do it, eh? :cry:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 am

Well we're not really that far off BCI's being used in synthesizers if you really want that. We've had prosthetic Brain Computer Interfaces on people since the early 90's (the kind that connect directly with the brain, using brain plasticity the brain figures out what the signals being sent are actually saying and adopts their use like a normal effector path). Then the other kind we have which uses brain activity scanning is also about in a consumer format with the emotiv headset (which also has an accurate accelerometer/tilt meter on it too).

http://emotiv.com/

We could have brain controlled synthesizers already if we really wanted, it's just not practical.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:10 am

tekkentool wrote:We could have brain controlled synthesizers already if we really wanted, it's just not practical.
We already have brain controlled synthesisers, we just use the intermediary 'fingers' adapter to convert from thought to sound.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:13 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
tekkentool wrote:We could have brain controlled synthesizers already if we really wanted, it's just not practical.
We already have brain controlled synthesisers, we just use the intermediary 'fingers' adapter to convert from thought to sound.
totally borrowing that !
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:46 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:

Man i wanna have a conversation with the guy that designed the feedback loop on those, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency in data rates and integrity on the interface from production lot to production lot.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Exactly, it's just not practical. :)

mizu
Gear: Casio MA-101 (going to buy a synth to replace that toy keyboard)
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 pm

we should have a facebook group..

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Gold.
Ashe37 wrote:Man i wanna have a conversation with the guy that designed the feedback loop on those, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency in data rates and integrity on the interface from production lot to production lot.
Also gold.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:06 pm

I use everything from software to hardware keyboards to a (mostly) analog modular, but I remain skeptical of the iPad as a musical tool. I bought one and wound up returning it because it just seems incapable of running anything up to par with my computer sound quality wise, and the multitouch screen didn't exactly 'open new dimensions' to me. YMMV of course.

I feel like a lot of modern digital hardware gets a lot of (undeserved) hype thanks to most people not being computer savvy enough to realize the same s**t has been done for years on the computer end of things (for example, most software amp sims were miles above the POD in quality, with that only even coming into debate again thanks to the pod HD, and the v-piano basically being a 4000+ dollar version of pianoteq a few years too late)