Moog new "Little Secret"

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Moog new "Little Secret"

Post by kuroichi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:18 am

GuyaGuy wrote:You must have a very restrictive or antiquated notion of what an instrument is. To me, if it helps me make music, it is an instrument, regardless of whether or not it also surfs the web like my computer or cuts wood like a singing saw or holds knick knacks like Liberace's piano.
Without a direct interface with immediate control of an audible tone, that can be 'played' in some capacity across a range of frequencies or a similar ideal, I cannot consider a computer an instrument. That's not restrictive or antiquated, it's just defined. It's irrelevant that it can send emails or launch nuclear bombs...
GuyaGuy wrote:Also ipads do a LOT more than what the Voyager touch pad can.
For example, I'm posting on VSE right now not from a Voyager but from an iPad. ;)
You should note that I said, 'as far as musical interaction its limited to a flat surface. It's essentially the touchpad on a voyager, minus some slight differences.' Im well aware of what iPads can do, but the interactive aspect is simply that of a flat surface regardless.

Either way, when are we likely to get more info on this Moog App so we can all get on with our lives..?
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:37 am

kuroichi wrote:You should note that I said, 'as far as musical interaction its limited to a flat surface. It's essentially the touchpad on a voyager, minus some slight differences.' Im well aware of what iPads can do, but the interactive aspect is simply that of a flat surface regardless.
Compared to the voyager touchpad it can track multiple finger touches and provides video feedback, which is a pretty big difference. Kind of like comparing a horse cart to a car saying they both have wheels and you can go places with them.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Yeah, I mean in relativity to a piano or a guitar etc, it's physically interactive aspects involve touching a flat surface.

Dont get me wrong, I consider the iPad more of an instrument than a computer by a long shot. I think its depth is limited partially due to apples limit on the hardware. But its ability to send emails and use internet etc has nothing to do with its musical capabilities, therefore writing on VSE with an iPad doesn't make it a more musically capable device.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Anybody who has used morphwiz or bebot wouldn't really be arguing that. To be able to slide up and down scales in smooth flowing legato notes, have it smoothly tune to pitches on scales you've chosen, then to be able to add subtle human vibrato by wiggling your finger like a string instrument is really really cool. It's 100% a musical instrument honestly.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:38 pm

ram speed essentially doesn't matter for procedural synthesis within reason, and you could only do one core per note if there were no monophonic real time processing at all post-voicemixing (so any effects would have to be per voice, which would ruin any gain you get from splitting up voices in such a way... Which is why VST softsynths can still only use one core each)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:38 pm

When there's a factor of at least three change in the memory bandwidth, memory speed does indeed affect procedural synthesis. Within a synth, effects are run as a separate process each oscillator is a separate process. The filter is a separate process. If the process threads aren't running as multithreaded operations that is something the programmer needs to take up, not something that is absolutely necessary.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:44 pm

kuroichi wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:You must have a very restrictive or antiquated notion of what an instrument is. To me, if it helps me make music, it is an instrument, regardless of whether or not it also surfs the web like my computer or cuts wood like a singing saw or holds knick knacks like Liberace's piano.
Without a direct interface with immediate control of an audible tone, that can be 'played' in some capacity across a range of frequencies or a similar ideal, I cannot consider a computer an instrument. That's not restrictive or antiquated, it's just defined. It's irrelevant that it can send emails or launch nuclear bombs...
Hm, yeah I guess your definition of instrument is just a lot more restrictive because that definition excludes most samplers that dont have factory sounds, any rack synth because there is no keyboard and the didgeridoo.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Stepping aside from the fact that it's irrelevant as to whether something is it is not classified as 'instrument,' the question is ; is using something as an instrument a necessary and sufficient condition for considering it a musical instrument? I think there's a compelling case for "no," simply because any physical object can be used as an instrument; at which point the word loses its descriptive power in an ontological sense. It might be better to think about it in terms of something that was purposefully designed to be a musical instrument, or something that functions primarily as such. Viz..software instruments vs. The computer itself. It doesn't mean that the computer can't act as an instrument, simply that it's not defined as a "musical instrument" in an ontological sense in order to preserve the usefulness of the word when it comes to things like pianos, organs, flutes, etc.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

ninja6485 wrote:simply because any physical object can be used as an instrument
Yep, everything is a drum. Somethings are better at it, but ... 8-)
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 pm

The sad thing about this product teaser is that my association with analog is so tight that people can't see past the notion that I am actually a musician who appreciates analog for my perception of its expressivity and tone, and and not at all for any associative bullshit... and what's more, that this teaser has nothing to do with analog anything.

I have to confess that I know relatively little about the in-depth operations of computers... and while a lot of the people here seem to, I have to say that much of what you're indicating is wrong.

Can the iPad can be used expressively? What do you think I'm smiling about in the teaser? :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:50 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: Can the iPad can be used expressively? What do you think I'm smiling about in the teaser? :D
Being surrounded by analogue moog hardware, as digital could not possibly excite you.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:19 pm

I thought it was because there were pictures of naked ladies on the ipad.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:45 pm

the new moog b**b.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:20 am

space6oy wrote:the new moog b**b.
But that would make me want to rhyme them, Mowg Bowb. :?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:57 am

tekkentool wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: Can the iPad can be used expressively? What do you think I'm smiling about in the teaser? :D
Being surrounded by analogue moog hardware, as digital could not possibly excite you.
I am more excited about what is on that iPad than I am about a Voyager.

Stab Frenzy wrote:I thought it was because there were pictures of naked ladies on the ipad.
See?*

*As far as anyone knows, it wasn't naked ladies. Also, thanks for being the first person on VSE to recognize my heterosexuality.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay