Moog new "Little Secret"

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Moog new "Little Secret"

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Absolutely awesome app. Also recommend getting Filtatron. These are crazy times :)

miar
Gear: Korg Wavestation EX
Korg M1
Yamaha DX-7
Yamaha CP-70
Tons of VST's
Various guitars and woodwinds..

Post by miar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:59 pm

I simply love the new Animoog.. Sounds awesome and so easy to use :)

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:22 pm

they just put the manual up for download. apparently it's going to be included in the app's first update as well.

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/apps/ ... nloads-tab

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

My last 30 mintues has been spent playing with this app, pure enjoyment
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:28 pm

honestly, I'm kind of conflicting emotions on this one. What I was hoping for and what I got are two different things. The implementation is VERY good, but it seems to have a few shortcomings that I don't know if they're a big deal or not (again, conflicted). Do I want a mini keyboard or don't I? Is it expressive or isn't it? Is it something totally new or is it just a more fun version of a kaossilator or modulation matrix?

:?

more directly though: If moog came out with a polysynth that did this and it cost $1k, we'd be lining up in droves. It's $1. One. Whole. Dollar. $1. $1 doesn't even buy you a long distance phone call anymore (a la 10-10-220). I waste $1 every single day. When's the last time $1 has bought you something you were proud of? I've been GIVEN things, but NEVER have I bought something that someone said was worth $1 and I thought I'd taken them to the cleaners.

Where do I think this thing fits? To me, it's a big portion of the fun and knob twiddling / tweakage that comes with owning a modular. That whole "it sounds great, but it's never perfect because there's a knob there so I must turn it" type feeling. Yet: it's still very subtractive in nature. There's no sequencing (yes I know there's midi over wifi), the keyboard controls are "ok". But what's the point of a polysynth if it's very difficult to play chords? (the unison is glorious btw). It "seems" as if the tweakability beyond the UI/Paths/orbit is somewhat limited. There's not really a whole lot going on under the hood if you think about it. It's a very basic synth. Yet, because the modulations are graphically controlled, instantly accessible, and have that bit of randomness we all love in a synth, it works. Really. Well. To me it's like having a Maths module (or the like) but instead of random bits you have control over what you're doing. It's just not quite as patchable, and that's the drawback. Honestly, I was really hoping for something very similar to this type setup but with sampling. If there was sample manipulation in there, I'd have an all-out joygasm. That would be worth a LOT of money to me. such is life.......

Summary: it's a really cool, real-life instrument that "can" be used for live playing. it will definitely provide hours of entertainment and can be used for a broad range of bread and butter type sounds. It tends to sound more science fictiony and jumbled/random than a more controlled type "reserved" synthesizer, but is also very capable at sonic subtleties. The UI/modulation matrix really inspires and makes you want to create and pursue really different things as far as having modulations work with each other as opposed to more linear type operations. Basically, all (edit: "some") of the fun of having a modular, but at 1/1000 of the price. Ok...... if you buy an ipad TOO it's 1/2 the price :)

Most importantly: You could have an entirely mobile, very capable studio (with other inexpensive apps) in the palm of your hand for around $800. Plus, there's angry birds. Put that in your pipe and smoke it op-1. :facepalm:

Barely

Post by Barely » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:46 pm

I have just downloaded and installed it - and love it. Toe-tall-y ;)

I would instantly buy this in a box with knobs on it for 800 bucks more :D

Would you?
Do you think this is just a little fun thing or a real synthesizer? Has Moog gone casual?
Does anybody else have the impression that it sounds like this is the love child of Moog and Waldorf? :)
Walmoog? Moogdorf?

3-2-1-shoot :D

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:51 pm

clearly it's a no-brainer if you already have an iPad

i don't - and i still don't want one

i just don't see how it can transcend from being merely a toy -> instrument
given the zero tactile-feedback of a touchscreen.

if it was a percussion instrument that'd be one thing <sans broken glass>... but a keyboard without tactile keys? no thanks i'll pass.
gee that rhymes. must be true.

i'll definitely be playing around w/ it on my buddys' iPad, though :)
samuraipizzacat29 wrote: Where do I think this thing fits? To me, it's a big portion of the fun and knob twiddling / tweakage that comes with owning a kaoss pad with a deeper synth engine.
fixed that for you.

are you 15 years old or something?
lets not get carried away with our analogies, eh?
there's not a single knob, patchable jack or CV input/output to be found on an iPad. It's about the furthest thing from a modular that could still be called a synth.

and the op-1 razzing makes no sense at all - unless a person thinks that they can only have one OR the other - so what's the point? it's a wholly different instrument that doesn't overlap with the Animoog in any way whatsoever.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Stalfosia
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: :)

Post by Stalfosia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 pm

It's an excellent soft synth. Excellent...
It won't replace my hardware synths - but for 1 dollar, it's a steal!
Simply a fun tool...
Hats off to the dev team.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:17 pm

It's not modular in the sense that you're stuck with what you've got (which was exactly my gripe, and I thought I got that across. It's not that deep once you get past the UI......) but the feeling it evokes is much the same as a modular in the sense that I use mine for non-linearity, and this is perfect for that. If you jones after quantizers and maths modules, this is an awesome $1 expenditure.

And: I think you're getting carried away on what's a "knob" or a "key" based on your preference. You are fully entitled to your preference (I prefer real life knobs and keys as well) but to suggest that something can't be an instrument because of the lack of tactile response is narrow-minded. an instrument is a means to an end. if your ends are to have full, real-time control over melodies (as I said in my review) this is not your instrument. But to overlook capabilities because of what it doesn't do is minimizing available potential. The purpose of this to me is on-the-go sound design and then sequence it when you're at home for the sake of recording, sampling, or live use. It would be worth the price of an ipad for just that IMO. I don't think the ipad is valuable as a "controller" for exactly the gripes you mention. It is incredibly valuable as a midi control panel though as I've mentioned before around vse about the use of the Midi Touch app. drumming on it is lame as is trying to play keys. it makes my cushy fingertips hurt.

If you wanted modularity you could use midi over wifi to send to silent way and use the midi touch panel to wirelessly control cv's sent to your modular. Which is what I plan to do once I get that adat euro module. :D With that you could have endless knobs and x/y matrices to control 8(ish?) cvs.

It doesn't have to have a use for you. Heck, the only reason I got mine is because of craigslist and getting it cheaper than ebay. That way if the kool-aid was tainted, i wouldn't have to drink it. Meantime it's helped me save business mistakes and make good decisions. I have a whole mess of arguably cheesy music apps and some genuinely useful ones. AND a toy :) worth every penny (to me).

edit: I like the "are you 15 yrs old" edit. Nice. I don't need to justify myself and you don't have to like my opinion.

and the op-1 jab was a shot at the price point vs feature set comparison of two different machines albeit not necessarily in the same category or with the same features. tho at least on some level similar.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Regarding tactile feedback:

Let's face it, I'm a keyboard player. I hate step programming. I hate not feeling keys. Touchpads even leave me cold. The X/Y thing on the Voyager is disgusting. I absolutely hate it. I'm a guy who likes to push on an object, and express myself through how I move that thing I'm pushing on. That's how I am.

When I was handed an iPad with the Animoog on it, that's what I was thinking. I was thinking "this is going to be bullshit." I basically said as much. I said it was an outrage that it existed at all, let alone that it was triggered by rubbing glass. Ridiculous.

But I have to tell you... download the f**k app. It took me about three minutes before I realized that the "little keys" (which aren't that little at all, you're in control of which keys are there, what size they are, and the space between them... stop whining. If I, essentially a PIANIST, can adapt to the Animoog keys, you can) are representations of Bob Moog's MTS keyboard, which he spent years designing for John Eaton. What's more, they operate the same way. Yeah, they're smallish, but their incredible responsiveness and expressive capabilities SHOULD have you downright drooling over the sounds you can make, and change, simply by touching places on glass alone. Because they are so expressive, your brain adapts quickly, and revels in the really organic variety that happens even when you're just clumsily jabbing keys, let alone when you start intentionally putting your finger down in various places on a key, or sliding it back and forth AND up and down. Lastly, YOU get to decide what those movements achieve. And that is AMAZING.

As a guy who used to insist on tactile feedback, this app taught me not to need it within several minutes.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 pm

ok,
took me a little while to figure out that the grid is travelling through the set of timbres you assign to it,
and to edit the path you press edit *facepalm
but i've got my head around that now and im in the game!

edit: just connected my $1400 moog to my $1 moog..heh! they'll actually make a cool combo I think, start with the output button on the LP off, build up some evolving pads with the animoog, then switch the output on and come in with a lead with the pads still flowing in the background..delicious ;)
Last edited by lazerface on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:55 pm

If you really want a keyboard, connect one....

of course, to get anything near the level of control you'd want for Animoog, you'll need a keyboard with Poly AT.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Ashe37 wrote:If you really want a keyboard, connect one....

of course, to get anything near the level of control you'd want for Animoog, you'll need a keyboard with Poly AT.
Well, you'd be halfway there... but it's a lot easier to slide a finger individually than it is to push one down harder...
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:19 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:If you really want a keyboard, connect one....

Well, you'd be halfway there... but it's a lot easier to slide a finger individually than it is to push one down harder...

It pains me to agree to this (for real) but +1 to that. When I play aftertouch it sucks because the point of aftertouch is always different on every board. It'd be much nicer to wiggle a string for vibrato effects. Animoog is good for that.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 pm

I really need to RTFM, but I just realized the way the timbres work. 8 timbres = 8 hor lines. Different positions on the line make for different points in the sample you morph between. Change x rate = speed at which u scan through the sample, changes in y relate to morphs between individual timbres and the speed at which those changes occur. In short: holy lord. COMPLETE graphical (immediate) control over wave shaping? Wow. To think I was using it wrong all day and still thought it was rad....

It'd be sweet if you could zoom on certain parts of the path to edit it.....