U-He DIVA

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

U-He DIVA

Post by Yoozer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Amazing that there's no topic about this one yet. Anyway:

http://www.u-he.com/cms/113-diva-goes-beta

Public beta until Dec. 31st, sounds amazing, buy the bloody thing right now. Why spend 6 times as much on Arturia's stuff when you can have it all (and better, and without a dongle) for this price? Be warned: it will utterly violate your poor quad-core.

Helpful diagram for people who don't know their history, courtesy of justin3am at KVR Audio:

The Sallen Key filters and the Eco Oscs are based on the MS-20
The OTA Ladder is based on the Juno-60 and Jupiter 8
The OTA SVF is based on the Jupiter-6 and Alpha Juno
The Dual VCO is based on the Jupiter 6 and Jupiter 8
The DCO is based on the Juno-60 and Alpha Juno
The Analog ADSR is based on the Jupiter 8 and Juno 60
The Digital ADSR is based on the Jupiter 6 and Alpha Juno

and of course "Oscillator Bank" and "ADS" are based on the Mini.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: U-He DIVA

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Sounds good, isn't that much harder on the CPU than U-He ACE...

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:35 am

Not bad .
The DCO from the Juno is cool choice .
The MS20 Filters (v1/2) sound pretty good too ...though I still like the MS-20 plugin if that's my aim .
All and all it's a decent plugin ....hope he adds even more types as it ages .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 am

I like the concept but its' way too limited to me. I think a lot of people will be disappointed with it in the long run after all the smoke/hype clears.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:26 am

Since people but the Arturia softsynths (have two myself) and people have bought the Origin hardware as well, i don't see how it can be perceived as 'limited'

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I downloaded the beta and it doesn't seem to work in XP with Cubase SX3. :(

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:25 am

Works in XP on Minihost.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:10 am

Ashe37 wrote:Since people but the Arturia softsynths (have two myself) and people have bought the Origin hardware as well, i don't see how it can be perceived as 'limited'
Limited oscillators for one. That was the biggest turn off for me. But all you have to do is deconstruct the synthesis architecture of it and compare it to modern VSTi's not modelled after antiques and I'm sure you'll find some more limitations for yourself.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:35 am

astroidmist wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:Since people but the Arturia softsynths (have two myself) and people have bought the Origin hardware as well, i don't see how it can be perceived as 'limited'
Limited oscillators for one. That was the biggest turn off for me. But all you have to do is deconstruct the synthesis architecture of it and compare it to modern VSTi's not modelled after antiques and I'm sure you'll find some more limitations for yourself.
Then you are entirely missing the point... the point is that it is modeled after 'antiques'. Not to be the latest super-nifty synthesizer with 20 oscillators implementing some synthesis type that is a slightly renamed and re-coded version of someone else's patented synthesis algorithm... (there, i just described 75% of the 'new synthesis type' VSTs...)

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 am

I've taken it for a ride, and it sounds amazing. No surprise given it's made by Urs. I highly recommend it.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:28 am

I'll give it another try, but all I hear is conformist hype for the most part.

I'm interested in synths that can make a huge variety of new and unusual sounds as well as standards. Regular boring conventional waveforms is not the way to get there. I don't care if it's an antique or not. And I don't really care what type of synthesis is used or what it's called. All I care about is if it sounds interesting and new and if it's easy to use. That's about it.

Limiting oscillators is a huge crippling downer. But u-he's marketing department I must give credit to. They really knew how to target a niche market and bring them out of the woodwork for this one. But it's a case of the emperor's new clothes to me.

But I'll try it again. Maybe I'm overlooking some key feature or something.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:40 am

Yep, it's bogus. Just tried it again. I'm not saying people can't get good sounds out of it. I know that some very very talented sound designers can make nearly any VSTi sound good.

I like ACE, I like Zebra, I like Zebralette. So I'm not criticizing u-He. They have skills to make excellent stuff, and I've watched some of their video tutorials too. But this "Diva" does not represent the shining exciting future of synthesis to me.

I understand some people enjoy working within limitations too. And that's fine. But if you want limitations there are plenty of freewares that are just as limited if not more limited, and they sound just as "challenging" (or wimpy, depending upon your perspective and sonic preferences).

I think there may be a bit of placebo effect going on here with this lust for "Diva". Or maybe some sound designers put up some really impressive presets that they made? Could that be it?

I don't know, but I suspect a lot of posers on this one mixed in with the people who genuinely like it for it's sounds and or interface or the illusion being sold.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:08 am

Whoever said Diva was the future of synthesis? Urs has made it clear that he's just trying to have fun with emulating analog synth behaviour/sound. If you want to see the future of synthesis, follow his work on Zebra, for eg. And please stop with the marketing bullshit. Urs has TONS of internet cred. He's been one of the friendliest, best listeners, best bug fixer out there... and that's not marketing. Just ask some of his long-time users.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:14 am

Oh, and the 'lust' that you speak of is perfectly normal when it comes to work from the best in the business. I could list you over two dozen companies whose future products I know I will lust over when they are announced. Nothing wrong with that, when it's warranted, and it is when it comes to U-He. :thumbsup:

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:00 am

Ned, I'm not trying to argue with you. Just bear in mind that U-He is a business, and yes business involves marketing and when the hype outshines the product, it's my inclination to give credit to the the marketing aspect. U-he is not making these synths for free. And I'm not criticising his internet cred. In fact that is why I mentioned ACE, Zebra, and Zebralette. Also, I think the U-he brand and it's popularity explains some of the hype around Diva. I think people are excited about U-he products and want to show support and also want to like them.

But I just don't see that much utility in Diva even if it is just having fun with emulating analog behavior/sound as you said.

I think it would be alot different of a story if just the oscillator section was made to be a lot more versatile. But then again, mabye the mathematics of this type of synthesis and emulation wouldn't work as well with, say, loadable single cycle WAV's as oscillators.

Do you get what I'm saying?