Bitwig Studio

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Bitwig Studio

Post by stephen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:35 am

Seen this yet? http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

Looks like some former Ableton developers are working on a DAW of their own. Caught my attention for the cross platform bit - native linux version too!
Stephen(2)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Bitwig Studio

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:56 am

lawsuit from ableton in 3...2....1....

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:45 am

Ashe37 wrote:lawsuit from ableton in 3...2....1....
The least they could do is make the interface look somewhat different...
Whatever, maybe they will sell it to Ableton as live 9. Maybe I'm just crazy like everybody else...
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:52 am

Not all Abelton guys evidently Claes Johanson who developed Surge at Vember Audio has a big hand in this too .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:39 am

I think this looks pretty cool. Yeah it's pretty much exactly the same as Live, but if they could do the linux version so that you install it and only it on your machine and then you switch it on and it boots straight into Bitwig and then is super stable and low latency it would be killer for live use. Live has a big headstart in terms of peripherals which I think Bitwig would need to catch up on, at least they need to make it work with the Launchpad or QuNeo straight up to be able to compete.

I doubt I'll be ditching Live for this with the current feature set, but I'm glad somebody's doing it.

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:47 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I think this looks pretty cool. if they could do the linux version so that you install it and only it on your machine and then you switch it on and it boots straight into Bitwig and then is super stable and low latency it would be killer for live use.
If that happens and all the VST support is built in then I will use it as my main daw machine hands down ! My Mac , Live ,and Logic all gone simple as that .

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:02 am

Also barring it runs well and works as advertised of course ;)

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Screenshots look interesting though. I'd like to see how this develops, if they deliver on what they're coding, and they don't get sued... this is going to be fun.
Stephen(2)

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:52 pm

This does have features live does not (for example, the way per note automation and such is handled).

The integration between clip and arrange also looks less jankey (especially with dual monitor support to show both views at once...)

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 pm

TheKeytarist wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:lawsuit from ableton in 3...2....1....
The least they could do is make the interface look somewhat different...
Whatever, maybe they will sell it to Ableton as live 9. Maybe I'm just crazy like everybody else...
For what it's worth, there exist other instruments that have the same skin design as Live; I think they would care about that less than say, DSP code copied verbatim or something like that. One can hope the developers discussed their idea and got some sort of blessing or agreement from Ableton. Plus, that interface works pretty well IMHO. Less overhead with graphics -- which is a point of contention I have with some other instruments and DAWs -- I don't want something that has so much graphics overhead that it eats into the amount of "real work" I can do on a machine.

I think that bringing something more commerically supported for the Linux platform would be something ALOT of folks would welcome, along with some interesting features that set it apart from Live.

Looks cool... :)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:49 pm

what stab suggested would be tempting if i hadnt already spent too much money on software. bitwig looks interesting. i wonder how it would compare to ableton in price

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: if they could do the linux version so that you install it and only it on your machine and then you switch it on and it boots straight into Bitwig

Hey Stab I'm not real versed in Linux ...very lite playing in Ubuntu and a couple Chrome/linux builds at best , but when you mention this would you mean they would have to build this in to Bitwig itself or is this something you could ( or more accurately I a complete noob to Linux ) with say DSL ?

Curious ?

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:03 pm

I am a linux software developer. I run windows though for my audio PC (and use an octatrack because generally I hate it)

anyways, they'd have to make a liveCD/USB linux distribution (which plenty already exist) with their software installed. Any user could do that by taking an existing liveCD and putting this software on a USB key (or partitioning part of their HD for linux).

They'd be opening themselves up for some pain though if the whole distribution was a product of theirs.. since then they're responsible for how linux runs on your computer, which can vary from "great" to "not at all". It's come a long way in the last 10 years but for example my laptop can't use it's wifi in the latest ubuntu. c**p like that is not what you want to be dealing with when you're a software developer so they're best to just release the application and upstream distro problems to whatever distro the user is using.

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06 pm

th0mas wrote:I am a linux software developer. I run windows though for my audio PC (and use an octatrack because generally I hate it)

anyways, they'd have to make a liveCD/USB linux distribution (which plenty already exist) with their software installed. Any user could do that by taking an existing liveCD and putting this software on a USB key (or partitioning part of their HD for linux).

They'd be opening themselves up for some pain though if the whole distribution was a product of theirs.. since then they're responsible for how linux runs on your computer, which can vary from "great" to "not at all". It's come a long way in the last 10 years but for example my laptop can't use it's wifi in the latest ubuntu. c**p like that is not what you want to be dealing with when you're a software developer so they're best to just release the application and upstream distro problems to whatever distro the user is using.
Makes sense .