Behringer iSTUDIO iPAD Docking Station

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Behringer iSTUDIO iPAD Docking Station

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:50 am

Here:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/istudio.aspx

Very similar to the Alesis IO Dock, but I noticed the Behringer has two stereo ins, where the Alesis has one. Another plus is that all the in and outs are on the rear end, whereas on the Alesis they are distributed on all sides (minus the front). Yet another advantage is volume control for all ins and outs on the top panel. I was hoping for digital out, which the Tascam offering has, but no such thing. All in all, though, I think this box from Behringer will be the one for me, as long as the price is in he same range as the Alesis.

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Re: Behringer iSTUDIO iPAD Docking Station

Post by polar69 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:35 pm

"Our new iSTUDIO iPod Docking Station brings a whole new range of possibilities to live peformance and studio production: $149, projected to be available towards the end of 2012."

Is that £99 ?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:06 pm

xe.com has it as £95 at the moment. Bear in mind though, there'll be taxes and duty and other gubbins on top that will push the price higher. I never go by dollar pre-release prices in the UK.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:44 pm

polar69 wrote:"Our new iSTUDIO iPod Docking Station brings a whole new range of possibilities to live peformance and studio production: $149, projected to be available towards the end of 2012."

Is that £99 ?
Not available until the end of the year?!? That's too long a wait. Price seems right, though

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:10 am

At the moment I can get away with resting my ipad on my cs1x, it fits very nicely in the middle

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:02 am

Hugo76 wrote:
polar69 wrote:"Our new iSTUDIO iPod Docking Station brings a whole new range of possibilities to live peformance and studio production: $149, projected to be available towards the end of 2012."

Is that £99 ?
Not available until the end of the year?!? That's too long a wait. Price seems right, though

Behringer iStudio:

Universal Docking Station for APPLE iPAD and iPAD2
Connect your microphones, instruments and audio sources to virtually any audio/MIDI app with the iSTUDIO
Core Audio/MIDI compatible for use with any iOS App
Versatile I/O functionality with adjustable headphone output and direct monitoring control
Separate Video output for connecting your iPAD to TVs and projectors
Standard MIDI I/O plus USB-to-host connectors for ultimate MIDI connectivity
iPAD powering and battery charging via the iSTUDIO dock
Ergonomic design layout – all control elements on top panel with headphone connector on front
Slide-in access for mating with iPAD dock connector (suitable for iPAD 1 & 2)
Locating holes for BEHRINGER P16-MB mounting bracket to attach iSTUDIO to a standard mic, music or drum stand (P16-MB not included)
Universal switch-mode power supply with country-specific wall socket adapter included
High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life

Looking at the panel, the Behringer has video out, USB MIDI, MIDI In/Out, Exp and SW footswitch ports, 1/4 stereo Ins, Aux RCA Ins, 1 Mic/Line and 1 Mic/Line/Guitar. They specifically call out phantom power for mics in the youtube video from NAMM.

Alesis I/O Dock:

AUDIO INPUTS
• 2 x XLR-1/4" Balanced TRS
• Individual gain controls
• Phantom power, switchable
• Guitar (high-impedance) switch on Input 2

INPUT SENSITIVITY
• Balanced XLR Mic
◦ Max -45 dBV
◦ Min -3 dBV
• Balanced 1/4“ TRS Mic/Line
◦ Max -27 dBV
◦ Min +16 dBV
• Un-Balanced 1/4” TS Mic/Lin
◦ Max -27 dBV
◦ Min +16 dBV
• Un-Balanced 1/4” TS Guitar
◦ Max -38 dBV
◦ Min +4.5 dBV

AUDIO OUTPUTS
• 2 x 1/4" Balanced TRS Main
• 1/4" TRS Headphone
• Individual level controls

VIDEO OUTPUT
• RCA Composite (requires compatible apps)

CONTROL I/O
• MIDI In (DIN)
• MIDI Out (DIN)
• USB MIDI
• 1/4" Footswitch (function assigned by apps)
POWER

The iO Dock power supply is 6 VAC 3.0A. It is a universal power supply rated for 100-240 VAC 50/60HZ 0.8A.

I had to add the section below the Behringer info b/c they don't have a full spec spec tab for it. There is no release date b/c as of Jan 27th at least, they are still pending FCC approvals here in the US. It will sell for $150 and looks to have everything the I/O Dock has and a bit more for only $150. If it comes out by April, I may buy the Behringer instead. Certainly having all the knobs on the front face will make using it easier, but it certainly won't be as streamlined in a bag.