Arturia: The New Generation

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Arturia: The New Generation

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:02 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:I may finally pick up prophet V now. Does it still require a dongle?
I own the Modular V and it run with a soft eLicenser without a USB dongle.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Now I just have to decide between diva or a couple of these.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:31 am

My first of three upcoming Arturia Next Gen reviews:
http://thesynthesizersympathizer.blogsp ... eview.html

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:22 am

Sorry, I don't feel you can accurately review CPU usage of most new softsynths on something two CPU generations old (three gens if you count core2Quads). Btw, don't try Tremor on that machine.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29 am

Ashe37 wrote:Sorry, I don't feel you can accurately review CPU usage of most new softsynths on something two CPU generations old (three gens if you count core2Quads). Btw, don't try Tremor on that machine.
Yeah, but it says something for it if it runs well on my machine. It's a tough thing, but I'm hopefully updating in a few months.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:32 am

Kidney05 wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:Sorry, I don't feel you can accurately review CPU usage of most new softsynths on something two CPU generations old (three gens if you count core2Quads). Btw, don't try Tremor on that machine.
Yeah, but it says something for it if it runs well on my machine. It's a tough thing, but I'm hopefully updating in a few months.

Just as a comparison: a moderately-priced i5 quad-core will be four or five times faster than your current machine. An i7 would be faster than that.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.

Post by BlackGnosis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 am

Kidney05 wrote:

A 4 year old mac you say? Well I bet you're using a 'superior' platform to test this now aren't you?
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 am

BlackGnosis wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:

A 4 year old mac you say? Well I bet you're using a 'superior' platform to test this now aren't you?
What is the "safe" assumption for what computer everyone has?

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 am

Kidney05 wrote: What is the "safe" assumption for what computer everyone has?
I don't know specifically for audio, or for Macs, but the 'safe assumption' for PCs is supposed to be that they are running a 1 1/2 to two year old machine. Technically, mine is older, but at least its a 2.66 GHz Core2Quad, and it handles Arturia plugins well. My laptop, a 1.8 GHz i7, handles them somewhat better.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.

Post by BlackGnosis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:03 am

Kidney05 wrote:What is the "safe" assumption for what computer everyone has?
It pends the person, some have a commodore 64 as they have no use for anything current, others like myself meet their studio needs of the modern age with a okay proc (Low end i7) and use a DSP based audio interface to take the load off the computer (MOTU Ultralite mk3) while not everyone is willing to make such an investment, I'd guess most people here would be running (AMD equivalent) at least a higher i3 or a midrange i5 and some sort of DSP based Audio interface, even if its a Tascam its still far better then most internal cards (even if they have a DSP chip on board) What interface are you using to take the weight off your system?
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:19 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:
It pends the person, some have a commodore 64 as they have no use for anything current, others like myself meet their studio needs of the modern age with a okay proc (Low end i7) and use a DSP based audio interface to take the load off the computer (MOTU Ultralite mk3) while not everyone is willing to make such an investment, I'd guess most people here would be running (AMD equivalent) at least a higher i3 or a midrange i5 and some sort of DSP based Audio interface, even if its a Tascam its still far better then most internal cards (even if they have a DSP chip on board) What interface are you using to take the weight off your system?
I've got an m-audio firewire solo. I really need to learn more about this-- too much synthing, not enough computer audio type stuff. What do you recommend when I upgrade?

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
BlackGnosis wrote:
I've got an m-audio firewire solo. I really need to learn more about this-- too much synthing, not enough computer audio type stuff. What do you recommend when I upgrade?

I'm assuming you're going with another mac... something in the i5 range should show a drastic improvement for you. Te M-Audio interface you are using isn't exactly known for its low latency either... I'd say you should try for an i7, but if getting an i5 means you can get a better audio interface then do so. My roomate has been able to get decent audio performance playing Arturia softsynths (specifically, Prophet V and Moog Modular V) on his late 2008 Macbook Pro (which has now been semi-retired) using a Presonus FireStudio Project as his audio interface.

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:59 am

I'm using an AMD Quad with the onboard stuff at the moment. I can easily run a few instances of the Jupiter 8V in Reaper 4. Where it gets dicey is in layering with high poly/long release times. A 32 voice string pad will lock the machine solid for several seconds. But in anything resembling 'normal' use several instances are no problem.

But a 'mere' 8 voice J8V pad is PLENTY impressive ;)

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:20 am

Fredthehound wrote:I'm using an AMD Quad with the onboard stuff at the moment. I can easily run a few instances of the Jupiter 8V in Reaper 4. Where it gets dicey is in layering with high poly/long release times. A 32 voice string pad will lock the machine solid for several seconds. But in anything resembling 'normal' use several instances are no problem.

But a 'mere' 8 voice J8V pad is PLENTY impressive ;)

*which* AMD Quad?

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:24 am

After I upgraded I was thinking of trying to get something with multiple inputs so I could sequence my hardware. I'm waiting for one of those new iMacs.