Arturia: The New Generation

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Arturia: The New Generation

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:28 am

Kidney05 wrote:After I upgraded I was thinking of trying to get something with multiple inputs so I could sequence my hardware. I'm waiting for one of those new iMacs.

Yep, roomate replaced his laptop with (last year's) 27" iMac.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:57 am

Kidney05 wrote:After I upgraded I was thinking of trying to get something with multiple inputs so I could sequence my hardware. I'm waiting for one of those new iMacs.
Since you have the internet at your fingertips, research whats out there. I like MOTU a lot as far as what the Interface provides, and you may find what you need in what they have or from another companies. Presonus has a great line of inexpensive Interfaces that will suit your needs also, but it only takes SOME of the weight off your system. you still need a fast core in your system. However overall reason why I went with the MOTU ultralite mk3 were because its USB 2.0 and fire wire option, many places reported a very tight handling in round trip latency (5-8ms in ideal conditions running FL Studio with my normal proc loads) and most importantly of all, it had a lot of I/o's and were very portable for my setup. I plan to put a microlite with it so I'd have 8 in and out, + DSP, effects, and 6 midi in and out! all in 1u. Which for others who are shopping around this would give them a massive advantage with their interfaces wanting something to cover a small hybrid/mobile studio's needs without breaking over 700 USD's. If I need at put more Audio ins for more instruments, I can always add a line mixer and eat up 1u for a bunch more ins should the need arise.

Most importantly use what works for you. Unfortunately since you're using a mac based setup you'll likely be spending a lot of money keeping your hardware up to date with the current music trends, as there are few upgrades that can be done that will maximize your system performance. but then again it might be just down to putting in a better interface with your setup, theres a lot of people out there who swear by macs, but they're generally recording hardware and sequencing rompler software with it, VST's that sport a complicated algorithm to reproduce something close enough to be convincing as something else seem to need cutting edge processing and computing.

I dont mean to be long winded or insinuate that windows is often superior for music production. (I lied, cause it is IMHO.) Sometimes not calibrating your I/o with your computer will cause troubles too. I spent maybe a few days of fine tweaks before I arrived at a setup that I found most suitable for my setup.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:52 am

Ashe37 wrote:
Fredthehound wrote:I'm using an AMD Quad with the onboard stuff at the moment. I can easily run a few instances of the Jupiter 8V in Reaper 4. Where it gets dicey is in layering with high poly/long release times. A 32 voice string pad will lock the machine solid for several seconds. But in anything resembling 'normal' use several instances are no problem.

But a 'mere' 8 voice J8V pad is PLENTY impressive ;)

*which* AMD Quad?
X4 955.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Kidney05 wrote:My first of three upcoming Arturia Next Gen reviews:
http://thesynthesizersympathizer.blogsp ... eview.html
I enjoyed that!

Any other feedback on the plug-ins? How's the SEM?
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:My first of three upcoming Arturia Next Gen reviews:
http://thesynthesizersympathizer.blogsp ... eview.html
I enjoyed that!

Any other feedback on the plug-ins? How's the SEM?
ay. it makes the computer crackle. anything polyphonic is too much for it to handle (hence what started this whole conversation you see upward). Try out the demo, see for yourself-- it sounds good when it's not crackling. and it has a ton of nice presets.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:14 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:
Since you have the internet at your fingertips, research whats out there. I like MOTU a lot as far as what the Interface provides, and you may find what you need in what they have or from another companies. Presonus has a great line of inexpensive Interfaces that will suit your needs also, but it only takes SOME of the weight off your system. you still need a fast core in your system. However overall reason why I went with the MOTU ultralite mk3 were because its USB 2.0 and fire wire option, many places reported a very tight handling in round trip latency (5-8ms in ideal conditions running FL Studio with my normal proc loads) and most importantly of all, it had a lot of I/o's and were very portable for my setup. I plan to put a microlite with it so I'd have 8 in and out, + DSP, effects, and 6 midi in and out! all in 1u. Which for others who are shopping around this would give them a massive advantage with their interfaces wanting something to cover a small hybrid/mobile studio's needs without breaking over 700 USD's. If I need at put more Audio ins for more instruments, I can always add a line mixer and eat up 1u for a bunch more ins should the need arise.

Most importantly use what works for you. Unfortunately since you're using a mac based setup you'll likely be spending a lot of money keeping your hardware up to date with the current music trends, as there are few upgrades that can be done that will maximize your system performance. but then again it might be just down to putting in a better interface with your setup, theres a lot of people out there who swear by macs, but they're generally recording hardware and sequencing rompler software with it, VST's that sport a complicated algorithm to reproduce something close enough to be convincing as something else seem to need cutting edge processing and computing.

I dont mean to be long winded or insinuate that windows is often superior for music production. (I lied, cause it is IMHO.) Sometimes not calibrating your I/o with your computer will cause troubles too. I spent maybe a few days of fine tweaks before I arrived at a setup that I found most suitable for my setup.
it's not like i'm going to be needing to download EVERY futuristic plugin that comes through. my brother built a hackintosh that he's not planning on upgrading and the new laptops are benchmarked higher than his hackintosh, which he made two years ago. I can't imagine running a more complex setup than he has and my new mac will be better than his.

I'm fairly confident this next generation of iMac and a nicer audio interface will suit all of my needs. I'm not concerned with upgrading.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:42 am

I feel the Spark software is quite underrated.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Nannerfan wrote:I feel the Spark software is quite underrated.
Agreed! It's become my favorite go-to for drum machines. Frankly, while I miss a number of my old machines, at the same time I don't, as Spark (with the controller) is much more flexible, sounds great, and covers the bases for me.

Therein lies the rub: it's a DRUM MACHINE, not a sampler nor a DAW nor a replacement for Maschine and the like. In fact, it works quite well in Maschine! The new OS is coming soon, too. I had the opportunity to play with it in June and it adds a whole lot of interesting features, including filters modeled on Arturia's Oberheim SEM. Very nice!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:24 am

Spark 1.5 update is now available for registered users.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Kidney05

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:43 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:
Nannerfan wrote:I feel the Spark software is quite underrated.
Agreed! It's become my favorite go-to for drum machines. Frankly, while I miss a number of my old machines, at the same time I don't, as Spark (with the controller) is much more flexible, sounds great, and covers the bases for me.

Therein lies the rub: it's a DRUM MACHINE, not a sampler nor a DAW nor a replacement for Maschine and the like. In fact, it works quite well in Maschine! The new OS is coming soon, too. I had the opportunity to play with it in June and it adds a whole lot of interesting features, including filters modeled on Arturia's Oberheim SEM. Very nice!
the software is very reasonably priced... but why is the hardware/software combo 550 bucks? You can get maschine for 400, or maschine mikro for 200. Seems kind of outrageous.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Not really sure of the pricing scheme there, as you can get the software only for 100 bucks or so. The controller is rather hefty, though: not all plastic.

Maschine/Mikro are now back up to their "original" prices (roughly $600 and $350 respectively) - new versions of those came out yesterday, too. I haven't played with the new controller or the new software yet, but I'm looking forward to.

If you're looking for bang for the buck, you could go BPM + a controller, too.

If you want to spend more money, though, you can go with the new generation of MPCs - they're finally starting to trickle in to stores - has anyone seen one of those yet?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!