Ableton Push (for Live 9)

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Ableton Push (for Live 9)

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Push is a new controller codeveloped by Akai and Ableton. Operates Live without looking at the screen! Guess this is their answer to Maschine?

Live 9 updates include 64 bit support, audio to MIDI converter, clip automation, automation curves, improved MIDI editing (still no threat to Cubase), improved EQ and compression plugs, new browser, Max4Live now bundled in Suite.

USA upgrade prices:
Suite 8 to Suite 9 $299
Suite 8 to Suite 9 plus Push $848

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Re: Ableton Push (for Live 9)

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Definitely looks interesting, but I will probably wait until it's been out a while and they work out any bugs in 9 before I make the jump, plus get some feedback from early adopters on the software end and the push hardware.

Does look very promising though.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 pm

It doesn't really feel like a direct competitor to maschine for me. It's very cool though, bizarre music for the product demo.

I am hesitant to believe that the world really needed another button grid controller for ableton (they're very hip it seems) but it makes a lot of sense to have an in house integrated model.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:00 am

Wow.

That is exactly the perfect way to use Live for me. I used to use it with an MPD but I wanted the clip launch thing as well so I got a Launchpad. The Launchpad was good but I wished I could use it like an MPC as well. And have step sequencing built in so I didn't have to use my clunky M4L patch for it. And knobs. And buttons for specific functions like note repeat values. I was thinking about getting a Quneo and programming all that stuff into it but Ableton have come out with this, which is even better. It's like they went into my brain and took all my ways of using Live and made a controller that did them all in a more elegant way, and that looks more badass. Love it.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:37 am

I am excited about Push. As an owner of Suite 8 (boxed version) + MAX for Live that already has the Orchestral collection, the Suite 9 upgrade doesn't really do much for me since I already have its major additions. The refinements in Live 9 are nice and the integrated audio to MIDI is wonderful for what Live is. Push however is the one thing I am actually really excited about. I'm glad I passed on Maschine over the summer. What they've done with Push addresses my complaints with several other pieces of gear and for me will be a perfect addition. Unfortunately it will now be the next reason that I bump the purchase of a Tempest even further into the undefined future. oh well.

as for pricing, I spent a good portion of today on the Ableton forum trying to figure out what was going on as users like myself that already owned everything Ableton seemed to be getting the shaft, but they've announced that there will be special pricing for current Suite 8 users when Live 9 releases. what this actually means? who knows, but I wouldn't consider the preliminary pricing info as concrete.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:00 am

Yeah I own Suite 8 box + M4L as well and after a bit of searching on the forums it seems that the upgrade from that to Suite 9 will be less than $110. I'm gonna want to get Push as well.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:21 am

Getting very close to the box I'm wanting to make - still missing the point of 'playing' the loops though. Keyboard-grid-mode is great, but that is not where the next thing lies IMO

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:34 am

Seems legit...
soundcloud.com/vectron

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Looks interesting. Let's hope the build quality is better than the APC though, my bandmate destroyed that one in the first rehearsal :lol: He just had a whole fader in his hand after a few minutes :roll:

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Wow.

That is exactly the perfect way to use Live for me. I used to use it with an MPD but I wanted the clip launch thing as well so I got a Launchpad. The Launchpad was good but I wished I could use it like an MPC as well. And have step sequencing built in so I didn't have to use my clunky M4L patch for it. And knobs. And buttons for specific functions like note repeat values. I was thinking about getting a Quneo and programming all that stuff into it but Ableton have come out with this, which is even better. It's like they went into my brain and took all my ways of using Live and made a controller that did them all in a more elegant way, and that looks more badass. Love it.
you know... this is about the only thing ive seen you approve of on this site....

also bollocks to your other forums pricing cuz abletons site says it will be about 230$

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:13 am

c-level wrote:you know... this is about the only thing ive seen you approve of on this site....
You're obviously not paying attention then.
also bollocks to your other forums pricing cuz abletons site says it will be about 230$
Well the "other forum" I'm talking about was the official Live forum, in a post by an Ableton staff member who said that the Ableton website prices aren't right yet and there will be a bigger discount for Suite and M4L owners on release. Here's the thread to read for yourself.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:03 am

I watched the intro/demo/whatever the other day (linked back from Matrixsynth) and I was quite impressed. I think the one thing that I keyed on immediately was the ability to midify even the simplest (and perhaps more complex) melodies. Add the push interface, and I can envision so many ways to make use of this creatively.

If the price does work out to just above $100 for the suite/M4L update (not including Push, obviously) that would be outstanding. I too think I'll most likely be getting Push.

All these interesting advances in software are really making it insanely hard for me to justify keeping around all the analogue.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:05 am

^ This is about as close as software gets to hardware in terms of feeling - I think the reason being it is a DEDICATED interface, not a generic midi controller (at least in its intended use) - It's been designed to specifically match Live's functions/etc.. So things are arranged in the machine the same way they are on the controller (not exactly, but its the closest we'll get) - You can reach for a button without looking and press it, knowing what it does. Whereas a mouse is context sensitive (and depends where the cursor is to start with) and a generic midi controller's buttons/etc never line up/laid out in the same way the software's do/are.

For a long time I was convinced I could re-build my hardware using max and midi controllers, but it wasnt the same - even with 2xBCR2000s and a UC33e

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:55 pm

silikon wrote:.......All these interesting advances in software are really making it insanely hard for me to justify keeping around all the analogue.
I know exactly what you mean. I find the Ableton Suite + M4L to be the most inspiring and perfectly integrated thing ever. The addition of an iPad and a set of AudioCubes has brought a level of interactivity beyond anything I ever experienced in the analog world and now comes Push (saving me the compromised purchase of a QuNeo or Maschine) and I really couldn't ask for more..... aside from AAS finally getting around to updating Tassman (and including it in Suite along with the rest of their synths). Were that to happen, I really wouldn't need much else.
Analog and I parted ways some time ago and I've slimmed things down much since then, but glancing around there are several synths that I won't part with but I find that I don't really have a good reason/need for most of them other than I like them.. which is really reason enough, but I can't help but think that I'd be a bit more productive without the superfluous.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:53 am

silikon wrote: All these interesting advances in software are really making it insanely hard for me to justify keeping around all the analogue.
Well just think of all the semi trailers you'll need to drag all those synths out...lot of money to hire trucks you know...