1st Gen iPad for music apps.

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Arddhu

1st Gen iPad for music apps.

Post by Arddhu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm heading to the US soon and wanted a gizmo for playing with while away. I thought I'd come to the dark side and invest in an iPad, albeit second hand 1st gen so I can afford a 64gb model. I'm pretty much completely befuddled with iPad revision differences and wondered if a 1st gen iPad will handle most of the new music apps? I read that Arturia's new iMini won't work but the main ones I was interested in were:

Animoog
Samplr
iMS-20/Electribe
Tenori-On
Maybe PPG
Some pseudo DAW/Sketchpad to record things via Audiobus

Am I likely to come across processor or any other issues using Audiobus with an older iPad?

Help, I'm confuzzled!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: 1st Gen iPad for music apps.

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Just be processor speed and updates I imagine would be the only potential issues, and of course new apps that only run on the latest ones like you say.

Aparts from that should be fine.

This could be useful too;

http://www.apple.com/au/apps/garageband/

And check out Rebirth as well for some old school 303/808/909 action. 8-)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:30 pm

The iMini will work, but it starts glitching out in polyphonic mode. The processor speed on the 1st gen ipad isn't that great. Also, some apps are tied to IOS version.

I think a good idea is to google each synth you wanna try separately. like "Will animoog work on ipad 1?"

There are usually forums elsewhere that asks the same questions, and you'll find them in google search. Or that Yahoo ask thingie.

haj

Post by haj » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 pm

get at least iPad2 even if it's 16 or 32GB. And if if it's your first tablet you won't end up with only music apps ;)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:03 am

haj wrote:get at least iPad2 even if it's 16 or 32GB. And if if it's your first tablet you won't end up with only music apps ;)
+1

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 am

Thanks for the advice, folks. Though if Apple allowed simple storage expansion for audio, this wouldn't be a problem. A new 16gb model would be fine just fine!

Cheers,