Arturia updates iMini with Audiobus support & more

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Allthesound
Gear: Fatar Midi Controller & Ipad 3 with all available IOS Synths.

Arturia updates iMini with Audiobus support & more

Post by Allthesound » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Kudo's Arturia :D
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Arturia updates iMini with Audiobus support & more

Post by Bitexion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:04 pm

I wonder if they fixed that ext. input feedback rumble bug aswell..ruins several of the factory presets completely unless you know and dial the ext.input volume down.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 am

What do you guys think of this synth?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:19 am

I think it's great, it's a very good port of the PC VST version. I only used it on my iPad 4, they've scaled the buttons and knobs so that they're easy to manipulate with finger movements. I've come to like iPad synths, it's a more hands-on experience to pull sliders and turn virtual knobs with your fingers rather than a mouse..the sound is as good as the old Arturia Minimoog V was, so that's a given.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Bitexion wrote:I think it's great, it's a very good port of the PC VST version. I only used it on my iPad 4, they've scaled the buttons and knobs so that they're easy to manipulate with finger movements. I've come to like iPad synths, it's a more hands-on experience to pull sliders and turn virtual knobs with your fingers rather than a mouse..the sound is as good as the old Arturia Minimoog V was, so that's a given.
Reason I asked is I have so many great synths on my iPad now, and I'm not sure if this one will add anything new to my pallette. I already have Nlog, Sunrizer, Cassini, iMS-20, Akai Synthstation, Arctic Keys, iPolysix, Magellan, and many others synths employing other synthesis technologies.

As the iMini is relatively expensive (in the app-world), I'm not sure.
Would it add anything to this collection, in your view?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Probably not. It's just a 3 oscillator synth. It adds an extra oscillator compared to all the others you have. More or less.
Comes with loads of presets designed by kind of famous people too.

But it does sound alot like the Minimoog according to all the critics over the years. You won't notice that much from the tiny ipad speakers anyway. Unless you connect it to your studio/stereo system, of course.

At least it's not as expensive as the PC/Mac version of the Minimoog V, that costs 10 times more.

Allthesound

Post by Allthesound » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Bitexion wrote:I wonder if they fixed that ext. input feedback rumble bug aswell..ruins several of the factory presets completely unless you know and dial the ext.input volume down.

I don't believe that's a bug it's actually a feature that is not covered in the in app user guide. the blue on / off toggle for the ext in actually has three positions on , off and middle. the later is suppose to simulate what would happen if you ran one of the outputs of a model D the the ext in. It is a little tricky to get it to toggle to the middle position. Just set it to on or off and re-save the patch. Odd they didn't label the middle position.
Last edited by Allthesound on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Naw, several of the presets have an underlying "rumble" sound, specially the lead sounds are completely useless if you don't know and change the ext.input setting. The presets are obviously ported from the PC VST version, that did not have this kind of bug.

It is possible that this is a new feature, but that the old presets use the wrong button position (since the old one had just 2 positions), and thus make the presets sound totally out of whack..

Allthesound

Post by Allthesound » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Bitexion wrote:Naw, several of the presets have an underlying "rumble" sound, specially the lead sounds are completely useless if you don't know and change the ext.input setting. The presets are obviously ported from the PC VST version, that did not have this kind of bug.

It is possible that this is a new feature, but that the old presets use the wrong button position (since the old one had just 2 positions), and thus make the presets sound totally out of whack..

That certainly makes sense. You would think they would have compared the ported results with the original patches. Seems like version 1 was kinda rushed out really should have been classified a beta 0.9. I was pretty disappointed that version 1 was locked into tabletop only that i stopped using it and never really explored many of the presets. I'm loving it now though :D I'd be interested to hear if they fixed those patches you mentioned.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Bitexion wrote:Probably not. It's just a 3 oscillator synth. It adds an extra oscillator compared to all the others you have. More or less.
Comes with loads of presets designed by kind of famous people too.

But it does sound alot like the Minimoog according to all the critics over the years. You won't notice that much from the tiny ipad speakers anyway. Unless you connect it to your studio/stereo system, of course.

At least it's not as expensive as the PC/Mac version of the Minimoog V, that costs 10 times more.
Ok, thanks for your insight, I'll probably hold out on this one. Especially since I have a couple of real analogs incoming :-)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:44 pm

You can get a demo of the PC standalone VST from arturia.com. At least you get a feel for the synth then.
I think it was their first majorly successful "total analogue emulation" soft synth. Then came the Moog Modular V and Arturia was on everybody's lips.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 pm

All right, maybe I'll check it out. Thanks again! :-)

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Post by Romannis1972 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 am

I have noticed that the output of this app is way louder than the other apps I use (Sunrizer, NanoStudio, iPolySix/MS20) and generally have to turn the app down for continuity live, but it sounds H.U.G.E....

I think it's a good fit to anyone's pallet. Even with all the others it still sounds unique.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:29 am

Haha, maybe they wanted to keep the old "louder than the lead guitarist" standard with the plugin too.