Magellan love...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr
Band: Romannis Mötte

Magellan love...

Post by Romannis1972 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:23 pm

So I saw mention of this iOS synth a few days ago and thought to check it out....
I think this synth app is awesome! I am really amazed at how they did the sequencer for it. Really neat for old school on the fly performance and even being able to save different settings to manipulate as well. Sound wise I think it is quite clear and very versatile.

So yeah, I dig it...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Magellan love...

Post by Bitexion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:30 pm

I looked it up, checked out the screenshots, and clicked Buy. 50% off limited time offer too.
Haven't even tried it yet :) It looks fricking cool, worried about the amount of knobs and buttons..how is that for you?

Edit: Dammit this thing sounds awesome..can't wait to dive into the guts of it. Hope there is a good manual as a PDF file, this thing is jam-packed with features. Just playing with presets now.

Just made my own vintage phaser strings sound. Always nice to store your first homemade preset. I like.

Romannis1972
Gear: JX8P, SX-240, iPad running NanoStudio, Z3TA, Modular, Thor, Alchemy, iMS20, Audulus, Caustic, Xynthesizr

Post by Romannis1972 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Awesome man!! I'm a stickler for a good sequencer and sequence sounds, and that was the first patch I made. You can hear it in a post I just put up in the listening lounge.
i love off kilter sequences and this app does them brilliantly!!! I need to seek out a user pdf myself. Gotta know it ALLLLLLLLL!!!!

EDIT: I dig the amount of knobs and sliders. The more the control, the better!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:59 am

The official PDF was just a basic rundown of the features over 31 pages. Nothing really interesting. I figured most of it out by myself. Except for the nuances of the sequencer. You'll find it in the support section of their website.

Also the separate synth engines is a little confusing, like how to not apply the same arp to both at once.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Bitexion wrote: Edit: Dammit this thing sounds awesome..
Agreed! Magellan is probably my favourite iOS synth for analogue style leads, keys and pads. I especially like the Voyvoda filter, great character. For snappy plucky sounds I find the envelopes a bit lacking though, and the Magellan filter is a bit weak. And the sequencer timing isn't that good, at least when synced to other apps / MIDI. But the sound is definitely there.

Romannis1972

Post by Romannis1972 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 am

I wish as well that the envelopes were a bit faster, too. The way I utilize the sequencer for now works out well and I'm happy with it. I have yet to try to sync up iOS apps with MIDI since what I create is more "movement" stlye rather than traditional songs.

The filter options are pretty cool but do seem to lack an oldschool feel. I am assuming these filters with the strange names are filters designed just for Magellan? They all seem very ARP sounding to me and I dig them, but sometimes that filter sound isn't so desirable.

I can't ever say I will use Magellan more than NanaoStudio, but what I have created with it so far I'm pleased with. And the cost of the app is quite nice!!