Maschine Studio Coming Soon

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Maschine Studio Coming Soon

Post by Alex E » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:33 am

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... ne-studio/

Pretty much an expanded version of the MKII Maschine controller. Looks very cool.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Joshy

Re: Maschine Studio Coming Soon

Post by Joshy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:55 am

Kinda neat, I'm already happy with my MK I and MK II though. Won't be doing the software upgrade either because I don't need those extra instruments they bundle with it (already bought Komplete). Plus there aren't really any features they've added in 2.0 that will improve much for me.

For someone considering Maschine that doesn't own one I can see really enjoying it though!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:30 am

Joshy wrote:Kinda neat, I'm already happy with my MK I and MK II though. Won't be doing the software upgrade either because I don't need those extra instruments they bundle with it (already bought Komplete). Plus there aren't really any features they've added in 2.0 that will improve much for me.

For someone considering Maschine that doesn't own one I can see really enjoying it though!
I beg to differ, the multithreading will probably help you as well, unless you're running machine on a ten year old computer.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 pm

I was kind of annoyed when I saw the update coming up and that it would cost $100; I just bought Maschine a couple months ago....feels like a bit of a dig. Kind of like the $70+ 'stand'. Are they raising the price for normal Maschine w/update or are new buyers basically getting the upgrade for free while the rest of us now have to drop an additional $100 for the upgrade? Seems a bit shady, no?

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Ashe37 wrote: I beg to differ, the multithreading will probably help you as well, unless you're running machine on a ten year old computer.
Good point, that is a fairly substantial addition that I had forgotten about. For $99 though I will still pass on it.
Infinity Curve wrote:I was kind of annoyed when I saw the update coming up and that it would cost $100; I just bought Maschine a couple months ago....feels like a bit of a dig. Kind of like the $70+ 'stand'. Are they raising the price for normal Maschine w/update or are new buyers basically getting the upgrade for free while the rest of us now have to drop an additional $100 for the upgrade? Seems a bit shady, no?
I was wondering the same thing if new Maschine (non-studio) buyers still had to buy the 2.0 update. Overall though I'm put off by having to buy software updates; always a shady way to make money IMO. I guess that's because I've been spoiled by great companies like Pixologic who give free updates for life in ZBrush.

Edit: I just noticed this in an article
From today through release, the eventual upgrade to Maschine 2.0 is free with any new purchase of Maschine hardware (including Mikro)
Source, down by the What it costs section of the article.

I'm also wondering how sturdy those built in stands are for the Maschine Studio, I hope they can take lot's of wear and tear.

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

See, that pisses me off. It's basically giving all the people who have supported this product up until now the finger while reaching for their wallets. It's not like the Mk2 has been out for years, it only came out this year. If I had waited and bought Maschine today, I would get this for free, but since I bought it a month or so before this was announced I have to fork out $100? F*%# that noise!

I could understand charging MK1 users a bit for this, maybe not $100, but at least that is an older model which has been replaced with the MK2 and was likely bought at a cheaper price than the MK2 line, but to hit up the MK2 users too is a bit too much for me.

Not impressed, Native Instruments.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:26 pm

that new maschine studio unit looks like it murks all 3 of AKAI's new MPC Fly/Rennaisance/Studio/Lite computer supported bullshit....

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:08 pm

To be fair to NI, I've had maschine since literally the day it came out, and since then they've almost completely redesigned it with huge, huge additions like vst hosting, timestretch, new effects, giving away massive for free, etc. All with no charge. Even destructive edition was an addition. I don't know why the new maschine controller was so short lived, but it looks like the M.studio is totally new software as opposed to an update. I don't even think I can run it: Im on xp!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Although it looks very, very cool, I think I'll go for the 'regular' Maschine instead + Ableton's Push. It'll be a bit more expensive, but give me more options.

Or is he Studio edition really worth getting over the regular?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:27 am

Infinity Curve wrote:I was kind of annoyed when I saw the update coming up and that it would cost $100; I just bought Maschine a couple months ago....feels like a bit of a dig. Kind of like the $70+ 'stand'. Are they raising the price for normal Maschine w/update or are new buyers basically getting the upgrade for free while the rest of us now have to drop an additional $100 for the upgrade? Seems a bit shady, no?
I bought a new Golf a couple of years ago and then this year I saw Volkswagen brought out a new one. Imagine my surprise when I found out that they wouldn't be taking my one back and replacing it with the new one, apparently they think that the old one still works and that I've still got what I paid for! What a bunch of j**k. The new one is clearly an improvement so they should give it to me for free.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:57 am

A tad too costly for me. I may just stick to my MKII and upgrade the software. I wonder if those kick stands can stand to extended periods of hard finger drumming.

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
I bought a new Golf a couple of years ago and then this year I saw Volkswagen brought out a new one. Imagine my surprise when I found out that they wouldn't be taking my one back and replacing it with the new one, apparently they think that the old one still works and that I've still got what I paid for! What a bunch of j**k. The new one is clearly an improvement so they should give it to me for free.
Your comparison makes no sense. You are talking about a physical product like a car and a time period of a couple years, with the newer model having better physical parts, not a software upgrade. I am talking about a piece of hardware that has not changed, simply the software has been updated. I bought the MK2 hardware, the very same you can buy today, a couple months ago, and now have to pay $100 for a software upgrade I would get for free were I to buy the MK2 hardware today. Your comparison would make sense if I were a MK1 user complaining that the MK2 hardware is way better and should get it for free, or a MK2 user complaining that the Studio is better and should get it for free, but that is not what I am complaining about at all.

I even said I thought it would be different to charge MK1 users, but for people that already bought the MK2 hardware, that came out this year and remains the same even with this software update, to have to pay for this, considering if you bought it now its free, is bullshit.

For me, it just comes across as a big slap in the face to the people that rushed out and bought the MK2 hardware early, or in my case, the last couple months.

Don't know why you felt the need to make that condescending post? I don't think I am being unreasonable on this.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Don't know why you felt the need to make that condescending post? I don't think I am being unreasonable on this.
I'm going to agree here, that was rather uncalled for.

I think the point is valid. I had a similar experience earlier this year after having purchased Propellerhead's Balance interface and then the upgrade to Reason 6.5. The next month they announced Reason 7 and I would now need to again pay for a Reason upgrade as I was just over a week outside of their 30 day window, which sucks and had I waited two weeks I would have saved myself $130 ...but that is often just how things work.

I have no issue paying for updates that provide new features, but it is this kind of thing that unnecessarily causes customer dissatisfaction and it is a bit different when there is hardware involved knowing that a person buying the exact same thing today is essentially paying $100+ less than when you bought it just a couple months or weeks prior, but again, prices change over time.. if it isn't depreciation, it is a sale or whatever, but that doesn't make it seem any less suspect.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
your quite salty for a moderator. grow up.

Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:50 pm

I think he was just in a bad mood last night; there's a couple other posts from him last night in similar tone.

Reading his post I think he may have honestly misunderstood what I was complaining about.