Komplete: What do you use from it?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

Komplete: What do you use from it?

Post by cornutt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:55 pm

For those of you that own NI Komplete, let me ask you a question: What pieces of it do you find yourself using the most? What are the bits you considered most important when you bought it, and do you use those bits as much as you thought you would?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Komplete: What do you use from it?

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:20 am

Reaktor gets the most use from me. But I also love Absynth, FM8 and Massive. When I bought it, I figured I'd be using Kontakt very much, but in fact I rarely launch the sampler. In addition I use NI Kore effects a lot, although these aren't part of Komplete, as you know.

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:57 am

I mostly use Kontakt, and that's what I expected to be using the most. I don't use Reaktor, Massive, Skanner XT, or Absynth that much.

I would use Monark, but I can't play it with my midi keyboard. It takes sequenced midi fine, but I can't just straight up play it.

I also use most of the effects quite frequently.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 am

I mostly use Kontakt, FM8 and Battery 3. I would like to use Reaktor more, but never found the time to really dig into it.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Joshy wrote:I would use Monark, but I can't play it with my midi keyboard. It takes sequenced midi fine
Latency problem? I know it's CPU hungry.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:04 am

Reaktor
Kontakt (a lot)
FM8/Massive (the holy workhorses)
Guitar rig (great effects)
Most of the libraries.

s**t I don't use.
Absynth
Reflecktor's internal IR's.
The piano libs.
Battery

Didn't come with my komplete but Monark is f**k mad good.

If you're thinking about buying K9 or K9:U just do it mane. You're gonna get so much stuff that's gonna come in useful. Out of nowhere if you needed to make an ethnic percussion piece or an indie rock song or whatever you know you pretty much have the tools to get any kind of music done when you've got komplete around...especially with all the stuff in K9:U and the options for more sample libraries having kontakt brings you.

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:11 am

Latency problem? I know it's CPU hungry.
Hmm, I'll look into it when I'm at the studio again. I hope it's just a latency issue.

mrpicholas

Post by mrpicholas » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:12 pm

I bought Komplete largely for the Kontakt & Massive libraries, but find I use Reaktor the most. Especially when you consider the user library, I could get by with only Reaktor, and never really be missing a key synth/effect/sequencer/sampler/drum machine. It does everything and quite well.

I still host Komplete within Kore2, so many times I'm not even sure which instrument is doing the heavy lifting, as various instruments and effects are all bundled together to make Koresounds.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:27 pm

So far I haven't got around with Reaktor myself.. pity, but I feel the human interface and overall logic is like taking (praying to be able to take) an exit at Place Charles de Gaulle.

FM8 and Kontakt for me. I'll get K9 Ultimate next week, will see what's in there to enjoy myself with!
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

greggybud
Gear: DSI Polyevolver, Mopho
Ensoniq VFX-SD-2, ESQ-R
Oberheim OB-8, OB-12, M-1000
Moog Voyager
Nord 2
Yamaha TX-802
Roland D-550
Emu Morpheus, Vintage Keys

Post by greggybud » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:36 am

Here is my order:

1. Kontakt5 (used most for sampled bass, strings, and sometimes pianio. 75% of the time I use 3rd party samples)
2. Reaktor (mind boggling possibilities...and I've been using it since 1999)
3. Pro-53. (NI abandoned not only Pro-53 but Kore. I will not forget nor forgive them especially when Kore was in essence sacrificed for Maschine.)
4. FM8
5.. Razor (I like the vocoder too!)
6. Battery. (sometimes I integrate it with Superior and or Maschine)
7. Transient master

sajose

Post by sajose » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:31 am

greggybud wrote:Here is my order:

1. Kontakt5 (used most for sampled bass, strings, and sometimes pianio. 75% of the time I use 3rd party samples)
3. Pro-53. (NI abandoned not only Pro-53 but Kore. I will not forget nor forgive them especially when Kore was in essence sacrificed for Maschine.)
4. FM8
7. Transient master

Interested in the ways you've chosen to integrate Battery with Maschine. Can you give me a quick overview of the ways you've used the two together?

treezyz

Post by treezyz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:58 am

kontakt, absynth, massive, reaktor, monark, guitar rig and various other effects.

i don't like fm8 much at all TBH, battery is good but i don't really feel the need for it for the most part.

greggybud
Gear: DSI Polyevolver, Mopho
Ensoniq VFX-SD-2, ESQ-R
Oberheim OB-8, OB-12, M-1000
Moog Voyager
Nord 2
Yamaha TX-802
Roland D-550
Emu Morpheus, Vintage Keys

Post by greggybud » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:10 pm

sajose wrote:
greggybud wrote:Here is my order:

4. FM8
7. Transient master

Interested in the ways you've chosen to integrate Battery with Maschine. Can you give me a quick overview of the ways you've used the two together?
Pretty simple.... Using Maschine and Battery inside Cubase7 I use Maschines midi sequences to drive the sounds in Battery. Usually I find using a combination of some Maschine sounds and some sounds from a Battery drum kit.

Once I'm happy I can drag the midi into the Cubase project page then "explode" the drum pitches to separate tracks.

Using Superior 2 sometimes I find myself wanting to use a midi groove from Superior to drive the sounds in Maschine. Or as mentioned above using a combination of sounds from Toontrak and Maschine.