Why iOS audio apps are better than Android ones?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
moog-lover

Why iOS audio apps are better than Android ones?

Post by moog-lover » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Yet another post about it, but can't find any semi-clear answer.
In fact there aren't many synths for Android, apart from Caustic ones, which I don't like it very much personally.

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Re: Why iOS audio apps are better than Android ones?

Post by optimus prime » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Android market segmentation, i.e. hundreds of Android models, from dozens of manufacturers. That means innumerable hardware variables, which makes programming an audio app that will have identical functionality on all those devices extremely complicated.

The situation is much more predictable in the realm of iOS. I'm not sure, but it's quite possible that all iOS devices employ the same audio hardware, after which it's just a matter of adapting the GUI to different screen resolutions (phone or tablet version of an app).

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:11 am

Sounds logical! That's an important point. Thanks.
Android devices are very different from each other and it would be very difficult to make a cross-supported app. However, they could make a synth limited to some supported devices.

Could be that iOS SDK audio tools are more easy and solid to implement than Android?
I also see that it seems very difficult for developers to deal with the graphical interface. In general, they almost suck in that point. In general.

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Post by optimus prime » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:31 am

Also, Apple's SDK is not free, which separates serious developers (who want to charge for their apps) from Android enthusiasts (who just want to have their app at the Play store). Google doesn't care much about the quality of Android apps. They brag about having a billion apps at their store, while most of them are quite useless, and some are even harmful. Making apps that would only work on some devices would be detrimental to their precious 'ecosystem' philosophy, i.e. that would be helping the manufacturers of the more powerful (and expensive) models, which is not what they're about. Google's about having as many users as possible. Apple OTOH has an extensive testing and approval procedure for including any app at the iTunes store, so they don't put just anything there. That's why they have the best mobile apps. When they started the whole smartphone trend they weren't thinking about the competition, they were thinking about providing the best user experience.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 am

Also I think the Apple owners are more used to buying apps rather than just go to "free apps" all the time.
Android users are more into the linux way of "everything should be free or its pointless" mindset.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 am

I would largely point to the lack of low-latency audio being accessible in the standard android OS.

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Because iOS apps run natively and android apps need a Java virtual machine between the Linux core and the hardware.
The main drawback in Android it's the slowness compared with iOS or Windows in tablets,
this problem will because less noticeable in time with better (faster) hardware and better code.

My Asus Transformer 101 (2011) can't play MKV files properly, but just received a chinese brand tablet
an finally I can see MKV files at 1080 with out problems.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 am

I don't think it's a high priority for google. The android market is for people who consume stuff, not for people who actually use their tablets productively. I suspect the average android user just wants to do facebook and whatever the latest line 'em up and zap 'em game variant is.

Yes, and the low latency in android audio.

I pretty much only use sunvox on my nexus 7". It's a great bit of software on the desktop, and it is nice on android too. But I think the audio output of the hardware is lacking. I installed cyanogenmod on my device, it lets me at least increase the volume on the thing.

I had an ipad 2, got rid of it in the end because wifi kept dropping out. I think at some point I'll give it another go.
Stephen(2)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:50 am

I have an Android phone (galaxy s3) and an iPad 4. I never use my phone for "apps" and stuff..That's all on the ipad. Games, synths etc. My phone is just for music, texting and calling.

Another problem is that on the Android, there are so many different models of hardware and software. Whereas iOS developers just have to focus on getting it right for one OS (and backwards compatible) and a couple sets of hardware. Kind of like games programming for PC, you have to take into account a bazillion different hardware setups and windows versions. Instead of just one firm architecture, like the iMacs have.

That's one of the main reasons so many musicians and studios seem to prefer Macs over PC. If their laptop or a studio machine breaks, they can just get a replacement that runs the same software with no issues since it's largely the same hardware and OS.

the google market simply isn't very exciting to browse through, and has alot of c**p apps. Games are usually sluggish ports of ios games. Plus google play has no quality control, they're all about quantity. Apple quality checks every app themselves before it goes on the marketplace.
Last edited by Bitexion on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 am

vcs3 wrote:Because iOS apps run natively and android apps need a Java virtual machine between the Linux core and the hardware.
The main drawback in Android it's the slowness compared with iOS or Windows in tablets,
this problem will because less noticeable in time with better (faster) hardware and better code.
Not entirely true. Many Android apps have a chunk that runs natively on the processor, especially games.