SOFTWARE REVOLUTION

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
2manydrummachines

SOFTWARE REVOLUTION

Post by 2manydrummachines » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:07 am

Anyone else getting weened and forced off of hardware and integration? We are in Chicago.

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Re: SOFTWARE REVOLUTION

Post by bluntedcircuit » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:26 am

No

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:36 am

I'm getting weaned onto hardware, actually.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:23 am

The prices of vintage these days are making me consider all VA for polyphonics, anyhow. Not to mention Midi jitter on PC software is of enough significance to prevent tight timing between software and hardware. Ableton Live 8 is so piss poor at slaving Midi clock, that it deviates as much as + or - 4 bpm! Alot of folks these days seem to do just hardware or just software, but it really just depends on what you use it for. Sampling synths is often a viable option.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:38 am

I find myself going back to software now for several reasons. For one, I'm broke as h**l right now and can't even afford new plugins, let alone analog hardware. Two, the recording process is so much more streamlined with the software as you can have multiple instances of a particular instrument. Three, some of my favorite artists are doing incredible things with software and it makes me realize that what I really care about is making good music, not what tools I use.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:55 am

No. We are in Phoenix. (I just thought I'd add in that random fact since the OP chose to do so.)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:32 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I'm getting weaned onto hardware, actually.
+1

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:16 pm

I just got a deal on the Arturia V Collection, so I thought I'd play around with VSTs - mostly I got it for the SPark drum VST. I'm picking up an Arturia 49 key controller later today for $150, so I'm dipping my toe into the waters in the other way. It will be nice to have a controller I can use by the computer/DAW.

But there's no way I'll give up hardware.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:37 pm

No computers allowed. (In Dallas, TX).

All forms of hardware acceptable: analog or digital (hybrid is always nice).
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:37 am

I love software.for sample mangling & sending stuff to my samplers, but every time I try to use it musically something can't play in time, something runs out of resources, something crashes in some wierd way, or something just doesn't work properly when it otherwise should. My computer is noisy, so I record onto an h4n and anything compose in a daw sounds paper thin and lifeless until I move the audio to my samplers. But It's great having a computer free as an editor for my fizmo, radias, jx, d50, etc. Still use wavelab and machine on almost every project!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

2manydrummachines

Post by 2manydrummachines » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:05 am

ninja6485 wrote:I love software.for sample mangling & sending stuff to my samplers, but every time I try to use it musically something can't play in time, something runs out of resources, something crashes in some wierd way, or something just doesn't work properly when it otherwise should. My computer is noisy, so I record onto an h4n and anything compose in a daw sounds paper thin and lifeless until I move the audio to my samplers. But It's great having a computer free as an editor for my fizmo, radias, jx, d50, etc. Still use wavelab and machine on almost every project!
If your having those issues it must mean you are supposed to move. I contacted the FBI but they do not really handle this type of equipment failure. Contact your manufacurer's tech support.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:58 am

I now use the best of both worlds - a hardware vst player:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ ... /v-machine
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Nistegmos
Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Soft or Hard

Post by Nistegmos » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:09 pm

I used to have only hardware and it was arguably the most productive time of my audio life.
Then I used both for a while and put out a lot of higher quality material, but not as much.
Then I finally transitioned to all software and ever since then I've gotten a huge boost in sound quality, but
I'm so overwhelmed with OS issues and patch management overflow that I can't seem to actually sit down and make some music.

My only two tracks on SoundCloud right now I made mainly using my Zoom R8 (as a piece of hardware sampler instead of as a MIDI control surface). Every month I reconsider hardware and if I could afford stuff that was both modern and reliable and cheap, I'd do it.

Software makes fabulous otherworldly sounds, but hardware manages to deliver with access to those hopefully without the fuss.

Seems like the best aspects of software are those that have good workflow otherwise it just collapses in on itself.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Actually I'm quite angry with software right now. Today is my [really] open day to make music and I am battling software. I'm even fighting the software for my hardware. This is an all day affair now.

Worse since my new Windows 7 OS install.....
1) One piece of software wouldn't handle my files. After endless googling and searching the sites tech support and emails and forums etc....I find a blurb about a 'common missing file" that I need to update and now all is good.

2) Another piece will not allow me to save my project(s) saying that I do not have authorization to save in that folder. Mind you, it's the same folder where all my other work is saved. After the same long process I seem to have narrowed it down and the app is scanning -over 53,000 files. It's taking forever, but I hope this sorts it out.

3) A new piece of hardware won't let me update the 1.0.0 firmware because of a software license issue. Seems that the hardware is already registered to someone else. Now it'll be late Monday before I can even call to get tech support.
And yes, in a silly move, ALL DOWNLOADS and access is tied to a SOFTWARE authorization system - tied to my computer obviously. And yeah, I need my PC authorized/registered to use my hardware product. Awesome.

What's really funny is how I made my own "My Studio Owner's Manual" to detail how I connect everything and all the tips and tricks and info needed to get stuff installed and running. It does seem that software creates a need for itself. The more things that use software, the more software that's needed to keep the software running.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:58 am

Down with software!
Everyone I know here (australia) uses computers. They think I'm quite strange.

I think the trouble (as it always is), is that democratizing the music making process, leads to an inundation of stupid people with powerful tools. Just like moving from vinyl to digital releases. Just like voting in elections.

The problem with democracy, is that most of the world are stupid, ignorant, selfish wankers.