SOFTWARE REVOLUTION

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Re: SOFTWARE REVOLUTION

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Yes to software, yes to hardware and a big yes to wanking.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:54 pm

The problem with democracy
Still a bit sore about a certain recent federal election?? :lol:

I feel your pain
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:28 pm

I definitely mess with both.

I'm really inspired and satisfied when I'm playing with hardware.

I can be really productive and efficient with software, but who wants to be productive and efficient at making music? Sounds like a job to me :D

zukskywalker

Post by zukskywalker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:28 pm

The marriage of software and hardware is the *its.
If you play organ at all then you should experience the joy of hauling Hammonds and Leslie's up flights of steps. Enter B4, VB3, Gallileo, etc. Manna from heaven. Clonewheels are of course hardware/software hybrids.
Then there's the ancient analogues and vintages that I could never afford, or never even heard of. Enter the apps, I'm so in love.
Most of my hardware is based more around how they interface with me and my system as opposed to how they sound (except for the beautiful monster A100 that talks to none and goes nowhere) although there is a threshold because my hardware is also my backup for software quirks.
There's nothing quite like seeing a brand new blue screen of death while in a performance (but not long enough for you to read it before reboot starts). :shock:

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:00 pm

2manydrummachines wrote: getting weened
Weened? this is what it means to be WEENED:

2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:13 am

gmeredith wrote:
The problem with democracy
Still a bit sore about a certain recent federal election?? :lol:

I feel your pain
same

On topic: Software is always being made redundant by OS upgrades and the like, hardware has always been my choice for instrumentation. I PLAY hardware instruments, and record/arrange/compose using a DAW.

2manydrummachines

Post by 2manydrummachines » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:04 am

griffin avid wrote:Actually I'm quite angry with software right now. Today is my [really] open day to make music and I am battling software. I'm even fighting the software for my hardware. This is an all day affair now.
:arrow: I have been seeing the same issues, I am on a Mac though. I set up with Logic Pro 7 about 7 years ago and I ended up having files showing up in the wrong places. Did you have problems expanding the view of the audio you recorded? Mine even though I widened or expanded it still looked like it was actually shrinking at the same time. I couldn't get anything done either. It even went so far that when trimming my audio even though what looked correct on the screen i.e. trimming the very beginning of a downbeat for an edit it sounded seamless but didn't look seamless. I even had a whole project un-arrange itself. What I found helpful as stupid as it sounds is go to the FBI website. Its just difficult to explain all of it. You should contact the place you purchased your software and also the manufacturer. What is really frustrating is that since so much time has past you end up being forced to buy new computer hardware. I upgraded to Logic 9 Pro and it wouldn't run on a Power PC one.

Worse since my new Windows 7 OS install.....
1) One piece of software wouldn't handle my files. After endless googling and searching the sites tech support and emails and forums etc....I find a blurb about a 'common missing file" that I need to update and now all is good.
:arrow: Must be some type of a computer virus bug.
2) Another piece will not allow me to save my project(s) saying that I do not have authorization to save in that folder. Mind you, it's the same folder where all my other work is saved. After the same long process I seem to have narrowed it down and the app is scanning -over 53,000 files. It's taking forever, but I hope this sorts it out.
:D
:arrow: Do you ever store your files on jumper drives? WORD OF WARNING: keep them with you at all times I don't know how it was possible but mine have gone missing and then they return. I live alone so its really disturbing to try to look at everything in detail when coming home from work. The thumb drive itself could get loaded with a bug or virus. I had my computer reading a drive as blank but then when it was about to be formatted it displayed that it still had my files in it.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:09 am

My first experience with music software was finding Magix Audio Studio 6 on a discount rack at Circuit City. I've had a love/hate relationship with software since. I've done all my recording on various versions of Magix, and as far as audio is concerned, I'm still happy with it. MIDI is another story completely. I've only recently started using software synths. The newer Magix programs come with a few of their own, plus I recently started using Garritan Personal Orchestra 4. Surprisingly, I love GPO4! But I can't seem to get any of my hardware synths to communicate properly, so using GPO means dragging and dropping notes. This gets tedious, especially if I want something expressive.

So yeah, I'm starting to use some soft synths, but I don't see myself dropping hardware completely.
You can't synthesize love

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Sometimes software truly sucks, and especially so when it doesn't work anymore. My dx200 needs the editor for full access to all its parameters, but compability was broken with Windows 7. This has taught me a lesson not to buy hardware that depends ona computer. Which is why I'm hesitant to buy Maschine (they discontinued Kore, and it is no longer updated).

These examples have also made me export everthing from my various DAW's to audio.

Sensory

Post by Sensory » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 pm

I view my softsynth collection as one giant, ultra-flexible super synth. It will do soo much more, but it has this uniformity and averaging thing happening. It's like the symbiosis of electrons or something..

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm

I've been messing with DAWs and software synthesizers since Cubase VST came out with it's laughable first soft synths. I did a lot of hip hop in Cubase, and truth be told went down the rabbit hole of Warez sites and cracked software for a while in the late 90's early 2000s.
Computer security was much easier before hacking became so prevalent. But I still ended up with a buggy crashy system, though I did have EVERY plug in and synth imaginable.
I regrouped and bought Cakewalk Sonar when it came out, and Waldorf's 3 pack of plugins. My reasoning was if I have a fully bought and paid for system, soup to nuts, and implement all the patches and follow up on every bug with support, that I should end up with a stable DAW.
It was more stable, but still glitchy. But that is Cakewalk.

Made a lot of music with that simple formula. Augmenting it with a borrowed Minimoog.
The Moog made a huge impression on me but I could not afford to buy my own synth back then. I continued to deceive myself, saying that my synth tracks were 'just as good' as the ones made using real hardware, and I could automate every parameter!
I obsessed over Sonar so much that I eventually ended up on the bug team. Which only pays in free software and access to new softsynths before they are released.
I think a lot of the work I did back then is very good. I certainly explored a lot of territory in terms of rhythm that is very hard to duplicate with hardware.
However my experience with my friends Minimoog haunted me, and as soon as I started making a more middle class income I started picking up cheap synths. There is a certain punch and character I get with real gear that I do not with soft synths.
I can write much faster on a DAW. But I like the sounds I get much better with hardware.

So for the past few years I have been slowly migrating away from software and towards hardware. I am still fighting to replicate my weird timing and tempo changes.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Mon May 05, 2014 7:27 pm

I mostly use software now, but I'm not against owning a few vintage synths to toy around with. I just feel I can accomplish pretty much anything I want with software, and it sounds good enough to my ears that I really don't feel like hardware or analog stuff really has much to offer me these days (other than a fun toy to play around with).

I think there are some misconceptions about sound quality in software these days. Technology is moving so fast that some people get left behind. A softsynth in 2014 can sound amazing and very comparable to a hardware synth. You can get some great results out of softsynths if you spend some time programming them. I've tried quite a few and I feel I've gotten some incredible results.

There may have been a time where software couldn't hold up in the sound quality department, but that time is gone.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 pm

It's been my experience that, whether or not software can hold up, it generally doesn't. I quite like Minimonsta, for example, but even just hearing simple, middlingly-recorded demos of real Minimoogs, there's an obvious something that the software - good as it is - just doesn't have. There may be no theoretical reason that software can't equal hardware, but in the set of software that actually exists, I've yet to find any that's better than "a viable low-cost alternative."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon May 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Hmm, in that I read: "I'm willing to do a blind test!"
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon May 05, 2014 8:56 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Hmm, in that I read: "I'm willing to do a blind test!"
blind tests are kind of pointless, all they prove is that our senses are not terribly reliable.
Our brains just aren't as good at remembering 'tone' as they are at remembering symbols and colors.
A blind test has the blush of objectivity, but in fact it is just carefully orchestrated subjectivity.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave