Non-stock LinnDrum samples

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
nuttercenter

Re: Non-stock LinnDrum samples

Post by nuttercenter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:32 pm

Spot on Logix. Spot on!
The Linndrum Yahoo group doesn't have them. And with that, I have since found all of the bin files. Sorry Z. :D Guess I won't have to spend thousands of dollars I (and most people) don't have to use a piece of gear I own.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:39 pm

At the time of typing this, the Linndrum group does have the files.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:21 pm

This thread has stirred up a hornets nest of questions for me. I have a Sequential Drumtraks, and similarly Wine Country owns the rights to their sounds. I dodged the whole issue by loading a few non-stock sounds of my own creation. But the internet has made everything very easy. We have access to many things now that we couldn't have dreamed. And the net has also created this murky gray area of legality.

Questions of aged copyrights. When Linn closed in 1986 Forat purchased remaining inventory, and presumably intellectual property, without any lapse. The Linndrum was produced from 1982-85. It has been 30 years since the last units. A copyright is usually a limited time, something like 20-25 years. Have the copyrights to the samples been renewed by Forat? I am interested in the question of Public Domain.

Questions of use rights, and access. On one hand as the original owner of an instrument should give someone the rights to use the intellectual property contained therein. But what about access, and use, of extended soundsets, which came with the instrument originally? What about those who may not have been the original owners, are the use rights transferred in changes of ownership? Do rights to access and use these sounds transfer to any owners who have had an instrument, or chips, fail? This is where things become unclear.

And then there is the question of authenticity. It seems to me the real value of Forats services lie in they provide the original, authentic, factory soundsets. If sounds were found elsewhere, online or wherever, how could we be assured they indeed the original factory sounds? Or have they been degraded/altered due to AD/DA conversion processes, changes in gain, or coloration of mixing consoles? *.BIN files are usually a direct read of the chip data that, when burned into other eproms, would render another chip with the authentic sound as the original. But there are apps available that will convert any *.WAV file to *.BIN.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Why would anyone BOTHER to distribute fake ROM images? Anyway they're freely available, so who cares?

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:49 pm

Just sample them from old Janet Jackson CDs. That's what I did :)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:20 pm

garranimal wrote:A copyright is usually a limited time, something like 20-25 years. Have the copyrights to the samples been renewed by Forat? I am interested in the question of Public Domain.
Copyright in the United States for works for hire is 95 years. Thanks, Disney!