Arturia major problems anyone else?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Re: Arturia major problems anyone else?

Post by silikon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:42 am

It's not unheard of to have minimal re-authorizations; through the course of a lifetime of the software, unless you're changing machines all the time (which is kind of out of the ordinary) one might re-auth the once or twice. They're giving you 5 (I think) which should be plenty for the lifetime of the software -- because that clock resets if you upgrade to a later major version (like from VCollection 4 to 5). It's not unreasonable at all.

In fact, I'm thinking here.. iZotope, Ableton, NI... Yeah, pretty much all the softsynths I own (save for a few, most of the ones that sit on the eLicenser or iLok dongle) all have maximum re-authorization numbers to keep people from mass installing it on all their mates' machines.

Dongles are hardware, and do essentially the same thing; the major difference is you have your licenses on the dongle so the activation is not tied to one computer's UUID, it's tied to that dongle. Install it on any and all machines you like; the software will work so long as you have the dongle plugged in. My god, there are much worse things to have to deal with. In fact, the hardware dongle in my opinion is brilliant. It's saved me many times when I've had to reinstall EVERYTHING. Instead of having heaps of plugins to re-authorize (some are much much worse than Arturia, I promise you), I simply re-install the software and plug the dongle in and away I go.

We passed on solid advice; if you're not going to take it and instead get in a s**t mood over a trivial licensing scheme (which from the sounds of it, you'd never encounter problems had you read the FAQ on their site), then perhaps you should take a step back.

Don't try to run the software concurrently on two machines; that's against their EULA and they have the eLicenser in place to tend to that very problem. Get it authorized on both machines, and be done. If you happen to go over that number, a simple email to them (or a few, depending on their response time) will likely yield assistance in the form of another authorization allowance.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:12 am

'valuable' usb ports? let me introduce you to this thing called a 'USB hub'. It apparently lets you connect multiple devices to the same usb port on your computer, especially low bandwidth ones-like a hardware key. Be glad you don't have old software that uses parallel (PC) or ADB (mac) ports.

But seriously, don't buy a dongle to use with VCollection 4. *it does not use it*. No, seriously, VCollection 4 doesn't use eliscencer.

As for limited activations... you don't have many software synths, do you?

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:16 am

silikon wrote:It's not unheard of to have minimal re-authorizations; through the course of a lifetime of the software, unless you're changing machines all the time (which is kind of out of the ordinary) one might re-auth the once or twice. They're giving you 5 (I think) which should be plenty for the lifetime of the software -- because that clock resets if you upgrade to a later major version (like from VCollection 4 to 5). It's not unreasonable at all.

In fact, I'm thinking here.. iZotope, Ableton, NI... Yeah, pretty much all the softsynths I own (save for a few, most of the ones that sit on the eLicenser or iLok dongle) all have maximum re-authorization numbers to keep people from mass installing it on all their mates' machines.

Dongles are hardware, and do essentially the same thing; the major difference is you have your licenses on the dongle so the activation is not tied to one computer's UUID, it's tied to that dongle. Install it on any and all machines you like; the software will work so long as you have the dongle plugged in. My god, there are much worse things to have to deal with. In fact, the hardware dongle in my opinion is brilliant. It's saved me many times when I've had to reinstall EVERYTHING. Instead of having heaps of plugins to re-authorize (some are much much worse than Arturia, I promise you), I simply re-install the software and plug the dongle in and away I go.

We passed on solid advice; if you're not going to take it and instead get in a s**t mood over a trivial licensing scheme (which from the sounds of it, you'd never encounter problems had you read the FAQ on their site), then perhaps you should take a step back.

Don't try to run the software concurrently on two machines; that's against their EULA and they have the eLicenser in place to tend to that very problem. Get it authorized on both machines, and be done. If you happen to go over that number, a simple email to them (or a few, depending on their response time) will likely yield assistance in the form of another authorization allowance.
I have only one machine - don't appreciate being made to look like a script kiddie who hacks software. I do the right thing, I buy software, and I certainly operate it in accordance with the EULA.

Also not in a s**t mood over trivial licensing, I've just spent 3 weeks dealing with Arturia to get my Jupiter8V2 going, in that time, I had to put projects on hold whilst they stuffed around with their new licensing portal, software and updates. In the end it was all sorted, but the time was annoying delay in not getting anywhere.

The past 18 months I have upgraded to two new Macs, then upgraded the latest HDD to an SSD (so it ran faster) in my newest Mac. Each time required a complete software re-activation. The first machine died after a power surge and took out the Motherboard, CPU and RAM (it was surge protected and insured). Was able to save the GPU, PSU, HDDs and case.

I'm not the only one who moves from computer to computer frequently. People update, upgrade change OS (windows to mac and visa versa). All these events cause software re-activations. I think 4 might be close to how many I've already used, so not sure if I'd agree with the point about it being plenty.

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 am

Ashe37 wrote:'valuable' usb ports? let me introduce you to this thing called a 'USB hub'. It apparently lets you connect multiple devices to the same usb port on your computer, especially low bandwidth ones-like a hardware key. Be glad you don't have old software that uses parallel (PC) or ADB (mac) ports.

But seriously, don't buy a dongle to use with VCollection 4. *it does not use it*. No, seriously, VCollection 4 doesn't use eliscencer.

As for limited activations... you don't have many software synths, do you?
I have 2 USB hubs (powered) - and I'm not a huge fan of them, especially since I've noticed them being the culprit to causing MIDI sync issues and latency issues on USB audio devices. Luckily I run my main audio card via Firewire now, so there's no issues there - but I did used to use a Scarlett 18i8 - and with all the other gear running on USB, it did lag at times.

Speaking of dongles, I already have one - the iLok, and I don't really want another. Be nice if they all got along and we only had to use the one brand of dongle.

I actually don't have a great deal of software synths. I am thinking of getting the new Omnisphere 2.0 and Komplete Ultimate 10 this year. I currently have 8 soft synths, 4 Arturia, one Xils Labs, 2 Roland, and 1 GForce.

Marco Koeller
Gear: Akai S-2000, Akai S-1100, EMU ESI-4000, Roland D-50, Roland D-110, Roland JD-800, Roland TR-626, Roland TR-505, Roland MC-303, Korg DW-8000
Band: Smooth Genestar, Smooth

Post by Marco Koeller » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:33 am

ejlif wrote:I have the Arturia collection I paid for it downloaded it to my desktop and laptop. I keep getting issues saying that it's running in demo mode, also doing weird glitchy stuff, I had to close live 9 down last time I tried to use it.
Some questions in general:
[+] Do the problems also appear in the stand-alone applications as well?
[+] What PlugIn format do you have installed (VST, AU...)?
[+] Do you run the latest version of this licensing software? (I know eLicenser sucks from time to time)
[+] Is your OS compatible speaking about the requirements (32-Bit, 64 Bit, Drivers etc...)? What OS do you run?
[+] Have there been previous installations of Arturia products?

Well, i had also some problems using products by Arturia, nearly the same as you have described here.
MiniMoog and Moog PlugIn crashed several times, they worked after i set up a fresh OS :-/ lol? What a s***!

Notice: I had only trouble when opening the PlugIns as VST. Opening as AU (for example in Logic), they worked like a charme.

ejlif wrote:I am getting the same random type problems when I run it on either computer so that makes me think it's more of a problem they have and others would be seeing the same things.
The same version of the OS, or another version?
ejlif wrote:The tech support is a joke too, they didn't answer my questions about this for a month. I'm just about over them what a c**p product in my opinion.
See above! There are just a few companies who take seriously care of their costumers. Once, i had the pleasure with Steinberg, and believe me, that months of emailing them will get an own chapter in my biography :D And hey, AKAI support (Germany) is even more worst than anything else i experienced...
Music is an universal language, spoke and understood by all....

Free audio netlabel http://www.cyan-music.com
Deep House and Dubtechno http://www.cyan-music.com/smooth
Lounge and Chillout http://www.cyan-music.com/smooth-genestar

greggybud
Gear: DSI Polyevolver, Mopho
Ensoniq VFX-SD-2, ESQ-R
Oberheim OB-8, OB-12, M-1000
Moog Voyager
Nord 2
Yamaha TX-802
Roland D-550
Emu Morpheus, Vintage Keys

Post by greggybud » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:39 pm

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... are-3.html

I'm posting this because of one person....and only one, who seems to be making a difference at a company that has in my eyes shown horrible support and even questionable ethical issues. ie knowingly selling the Prophet V that has been out for years with a broken sustain function.

Ben_arturia.

I would suggest dealing directly with Ben. (Hopefully he won't get overwhelmed.) Ben is head of beta testing and within just the past 3 months has made some incredible improvements including fixing sustain on the Prophet.

I speak from experience that he genuinely cares. Every message was replied within a day. He will tell you some of these issues are very difficult to trace because of users own systems etc. But if you can pinpoint the problem and verify it exists on other users systems, I think he can address and fix it.

Good luck!