Recreating SID sounds

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Lautaro

Recreating SID sounds

Post by Lautaro » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:55 pm

Seriously is there an VST or technique that can recreate this amazing fat rich C64 sound (The lead instrument)?

Im toying around with Bleep and Basic 65 but i cant get that quality. What is the difference?

dashfiss

Re: Recreating SID sounds

Post by dashfiss » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:34 am

Hi,

dunno if you're still around, but I'm doing some research (not academic) on the sid sound. There were some VERY creative use of envelopes, waveforms, pulse width modulation etc, far more advanced than most people think.

The method I'm using for disecting these sounds is that I use a sidplayer which can mute channels, then I solo sample interesting sounds and play them back a couple of octaves down, which makes it easier to hear how it was done. It is very interesting and educational.

What I can tell you right now is that I wouldn't bother with any SID or chip sound VST. Once you understand the ways of the SID you'll realise you can recreate those sounds in your go-to synth. Personally I prefer Massive, because you'll probably never find a synth which has more advanced envelopes and LFOs, and that will come in handy because some of the SID sounds were actually programmed and tailored for its particular song. In other words, there's a lot of different techniques, and I doubt chip VSTs can do all those things.

From listening to numerous SIDs, it sounds to me like the SID only had the 3 basic waveforms + noise, and ofc you have that in any modern synth VST, you just need to know how.

The final obstacle is of course the analog filters of the SID. Maybe some of the SID VSTs can imitate those filters better than other VSTs (in which case you just gotta pick something similar and experiment with cutoff/drive) but Massive for instance have many different filters and it's good enough for me.

If you wanna go PURE SID, then I guess GoatTracker is what you want. Personally some SID flavour is enough for me as I usually apply some 16 bit drum sounds/percussion etc, I prefer to use my default softwares all the way.

LBN

Post by LBN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:05 am

segerfalk

Post by segerfalk » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:20 am

Or SidTracker 64 for iPad for an authentic tone. Those fat leads eads are usually Modulated pulse waves, and usually ordinary synthesizers lack the control or don't modulate deep enough to reproduce those sounds.

[youtube][/youtube]