Behringer clones Novation Launchpad

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Behringer clones Novation Launchpad

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:52 pm

$70 from AMS in USA.

A real Launchpad S is $170 from the same dealer.

What's next to be ripped off? :shock:

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

seamonkey

Re: Behringer clones Novation Launchpad

Post by seamonkey » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 pm

Saw this on Wikipedia.
Legal cases[edit]

In June 1997, Mackie accused Behringer of trademark and trade dress infringement, and brought suit seeking $327M in damages[25][26] but such claims were later rejected by the court. In their suit, Mackie said that Behringer had a history of copying products by other manufacturers and selling them as their own.[27] The Mackie suit detailed an instance, in which Behringer was sued by Aphex Systems for copying the Aural Exciter Type F—in that case Aphex Systems won 690,000 Deutsche Mark.[27] The Mackie suit also mentioned similar cases filed by BBE, dbx and Drawmer.[27] On 30 November 1999, the U.S. District Court in Seattle, Washington, dismissed Mackie claims that Behringer had infringed on Mackie copyrights with its MX 8000 mixer, noting that circuit schematics are not covered by copyright laws.[28][29][30]

In 2005, Roland Corporation sued to enforce Roland's trade dress, trademark, and other intellectual property rights with regard to Behringer's recently released guitar pedals.[31] The two companies came to a confidential settlement in 2006 after Behringer changed their designs.[32]

In 2009 Peavey Electronics Corp. filed two lawsuits against various companies under Behringer/Music Group umbrella for patent infringement, federal and common law trademark infringement, false designation of origin, trademark dilution and unfair competition.[33] In 2011 The Music Group filed a lawsuit against Peavey for "false advertising, false patent marking and unfair competition
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Grandmother, DX7 (x2), QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, EX-8000, S2400, Rhodes Stage MK1

Post by Alex E » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:42 pm

Ouch!! Not cool, Behringer. :?
soundcloud.com/vectron

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Alex E wrote:Ouch!! Not cool, Behringer. :?
come on now, everybody knows a behringer s h i t s in the woods

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Sat May 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Annoying.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Sun May 03, 2015 5:29 pm

I don't know, I think they shouldn't have completely ripped off the design, but otherwise I see no problems. I always thought that the novation launchpads were a bit pricey for what they are...

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:33 pm

I do see a problem with it, and i bet that the court i s going to tell them that making the round buttons oval instead of circular counts as *one* difference, not sixteen.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon May 04, 2015 8:11 am

And they also just bought up TC...

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue May 05, 2015 12:03 am

Yeah, it's going to be really interesting to see what happens when they conclude the TC deal. Keep it running, or pull a Gibson and use the name on cheaper, less interesting gear?

Speaking of China it's surprising we haven't seen a Chinese company try to sell its own brand of electronic instruments over here yet. Joyo and Mooer have had some success with their lines of guitar pedals.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 05, 2015 5:05 am

tim gueguen wrote:Yeah, it's going to be really interesting to see what happens when they conclude the TC deal. Keep it running, or pull a Gibson and use the name on cheaper, less interesting gear?
Most probably they'll do what they did with Midas, ramp up production and drop the price to increase market share (like they did with the Venice, expect to see the M-One for 40% cheaper within a year), port over some of the IP to Be*ringer products first ("real TC reverbs in the X32!") and then bring out some cost-cutting "new TC products" that trash their name and legacy, like they did with the M32 which really doesn't deserve the Midas name on it.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 06, 2015 11:02 am

Nistegmos
Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Post by Nistegmos » Wed May 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Isn't this old news? I mean is this surprising at all?
I thought it was widely accepted that Behringer made knock-offs that were somehow legal.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed May 06, 2015 11:37 pm

The Maschine clone is coming soon :dancer:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 07, 2015 2:50 am

Nistegmos wrote:Isn't this old news? I mean is this surprising at all?
I thought it was widely accepted that Behringer made knock-offs that were somehow legal.
Not somehow legal, just very difficult and expensive to enforce. There have been a couple of cases like when they cloned the PCB of a Mackie 8 bus and in the end the court ruled that the PCB design was not able to be copyrighted for some reason. So now the only way to go after them is trade dress, like when they cloned all the Boss pedals and had to change the shape of them (the original ones shown at a trade show were dead ringers, except made of plastic not metal) so they weren't infringing Boss' trade dress. But you need the kind of resources Roland/Boss have to make it worthwhile going after them, otherwise you could bankrupt yourself with legal fees before it gets to court.

TLDR; Novation could attempt to stop them in the courts, but Behringer would just change things enough that they could sell the product, and Novation would end up very out of pocket from legal costs.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu May 07, 2015 10:03 am

Cannot repost that pic often enough:

That was what they presented at NAMM 2005.