Behringer clones Novation Launchpad

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
salwa

Re: Behringer clones Novation Launchpad

Post by salwa » Thu May 07, 2015 12:37 pm

I know, that it's highly controversial and you'll hate me for that, but Behringer is (almost) the only way for people like me to buy something (semi)professional and don't go broke. I'm aware of moral ambiguity of Behringer's market strategy (but also I think it's common in other industries), just wanted to complicate discussion ;)
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu May 07, 2015 3:38 pm

It's not semi-professional though :mrgreen:

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu May 07, 2015 5:38 pm

salwa wrote:I know, that it's highly controversial and you'll hate me for that, but Behringer is (almost) the only way for people like me to buy something (semi)professional and don't go broke. I'm aware of moral ambiguity of Behringer's market strategy (but also I think it's common in other industries), just wanted to complicate discussion ;)
I hear a similar argument when people illegally download software and music.
I grew up in a day when if you couldn't afford something, you saved up for it, or bought an older used version of it.
What is the difference if I drive an old car and see someone with a newer model, then it should be ok to steal their car?

Of course it's not just Behringer, Samsung pretty much stole the design and technology of Apple's smartphones and tablets.
I don't think the Chinese have come up with an original idea since inventing pasta. ;)
They've pretty much reverse engineered everything anyone else has created, so it makes sense the Behringer stuff which is made in China, would employ Chinese engineers to replicate this technology.

I think in the end, the old saying " you get what you pay for" pretty much applies to the Behringer brand.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

salwa

Post by salwa » Thu May 07, 2015 9:22 pm

pflosi wrote:It's not semi-professional though :mrgreen:
it's not that bad as many thinks. I use Behringer pedals and they sound nice. Building quality is problematic though.
seamonkey wrote:
salwa wrote:I know, that it's highly controversial and you'll hate me for that, but <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... &x=11&y=13" target="_blank" class="vglnk"><span>Behringer</span></a> is (almost) the only way for people like me to buy something (semi)professional and don't go broke. I'm aware of moral ambiguity of Behringer's market strategy (but also I think it's common in other industries), just wanted to complicate discussion ;)
I hear a similar argument when people illegally download software and music.
I grew up in a day when if you couldn't afford something, you saved up for it, or bought an older used version of it.
What is the difference if I drive an old car and see someone with a newer model, then it should be ok to steal their car?

Of course it's not just Behringer, Samsung pretty much stole the design and technology of Apple's smartphones and tablets.
I don't think the Chinese have come up with an original idea since inventing pasta. ;)
They've pretty much reverse engineered everything anyone else has created, so it makes sense the Behringer stuff which is made in China, would employ Chinese engineers to replicate this technology.

I think in the end, the old saying " you get what you pay for" pretty much applies to the Behringer brand.
But you know that it's still legal to buy Behringer products? I don't think I'm stealing something.
I'm on extreme tight budget. I buy 5-6 items per year. And I'm too old to wait months and month to buy used gear, especially when it's sometimes still more expensive than new Behringers.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu May 07, 2015 9:33 pm

[I'm sorry Salwa, I never meant to imply you were stealing anything. And yes, it's a legal product and if you're happy with the product and it helps you make music, that's all that's important.
I was diverted by your comment about it's the only way people like me... and it made me think about the illegal downloading of music and software argument, which is how most of that argument begins.
So, it was MY BAD, and I apologize.

What's important in the end is making music, and if the Behringer gear helps you do that, then that's great.
I think when we do more with less it often makes us a better musician in the end because we are forced to make the most out of what we've got.

Again, my apology if it offended you in any way.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri May 08, 2015 10:02 am

seamonkey wrote:[I'm sorry Salwa, I never meant to imply you were stealing anything. And yes, it's a legal product and if you're happy with the product and it helps you make music, that's all that's important.
I was diverted by your comment about it's the only way people like me... and it made me think about the illegal downloading of music and software argument, which is how most of that argument begins.
So, it was MY BAD, and I apologize.

What's important in the end is making music, and if the <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... &x=11&y=13" target="_blank" class="vglnk"><span>Behringer</span></a> gear helps you do that, then that's great.
I think when we do more with less it often makes us a better musician in the end because we are forced to make the most out of what we've got.

Again, my apology if it offended you in any way.
No offence taken, I'm just having deep psychological, personal, theological and artistic crisis and sometimes I overreact a bit ;) I'm sorry.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri May 08, 2015 1:03 pm

no brother it ain't you it was me. :)
Sometimes I write stupid stuff and I think I should just go ahead and delete it, but I don't because once it's out there, it's out there for me ugly warts and all.
I went off topic and it really was not relevant to your comment.
I am very passionate about illegal downloads of music and software and for some reason it triggered my comments.

I started off in the 80's with a VERY low budget because of family responsibilities, so I couldn't afford much in the way of gear.
My studio consisted of a Sanyo cassette deck, a $29 Radio Shack Mixer, and even cheaper Radio Shack mic, a Radio Shack reverb I soldered myself, a couple of very cheap Casio keyboards complete w/those wonderful BosaNova rhythms and of course my $99 acoustic guitar.
I managed pretty well to get some songs done, and even added another cheap cassette deck so I could bounce back and forth.

It's often said, it's not about the gear but it's about the music. A good song is a good song regardless of how much technology we use. In fact I think too much gear can get in the way of the creative process.
You have a good amount of gear and it's pretty awesome.

I have an appointment this morning, but I'll check out your facebook page and check out some of your DOM tuneage. ;)

I'm embarrassed that I would write a comment like I did, and think I'll go hide in a seamonkey pond and hideout for awhile. :lol: