Software help for a newbie.

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Rocker75

Software help for a newbie.

Post by Rocker75 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:01 am

Hey there guys!

I'm new to the forum and a rock guitar player who is getting into the world of music production, daws, midi controllers and music software.
I would like to get into the world of computer generated synths and pianos for those moments of musical inspiration when the guitar just dosnt cut it.

Keep in mind I am completly CLUELESS when it comes to this world of instruments. With the exception of a piano and b3 organ. (So be easy on me ha)

I'm just curious if you guys can recommend me a good software program that can model and cover multiple bases, somthing similar to how the line 6 company models guitar amp "classics".
Is there such a thing in the synth/organ world or do I have to buy individual synths?

I'm looking for stuff that is kind of 70s and 80s industry standards. I wish I could be more specific , but there's so many I don't know where to start. I can only site the bands with keys that I love and would like to emulate for texture type sounds to complement my guitar recordings in my studio ..

I love the keyboard sounds of the following bands... Rush, ufo, deep purple , rainbow . Some yes, pink Floyd and I also like more of the intense sounds of groups like the cure , nine inch nails and dream theater

Can any of you offer me any advice?
I was looking at native instruments reaktor , but it looked to be a little more advanced then what I want to do with it , as well as not "vintage" enough.

Ps I use presonus studio one artist , so anything that plugs in to that and is user friendly is a bonus!
Thanks in advance
Cheers!

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Re: Software help for a newbie.

Post by silikon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Arturia comes to mind immediately. I think they hit literally every base you're requesting in their V Collection...

http://www.arturia.com/products

As well as G-Force; their software emulations are also quite nice...

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/products

If you're looking for more sample-based instruments, I would have a look at either Hollow Sun, or UVI.

http://www.hollowsun.com/

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/vintage-vault.html

Note that if you keep an eye on the internet-based retailers, you'll be able to get some things at a pretty good discount versus buying full retail; also pat attention (and/or wait) for various holiday sales and whatnot to make the best use of your money. There are a few reputable dealers that will give you most times, at least 10-15% off MSRP and often times you'll be able to land even better sales if you wait for holiday specials. Keep an eye on KVR Audio forums and the for sale listings there as it's a great way to get into plugins at much cheaper cost. Just beware of EULA requirements for the vendor your intend on purchasing in these instances so you know that you won't have to deal with issues transferring licenses and whatnot.

Also, when buying things like software instruments and sample libraries, pay particular attention to the EULA, as some will not allow you to sell/transfer later on if you decide they're not for you.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Rocker75

Post by Rocker75 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Thank you so much , some of those names sound familiar. I will look into the v collection.
Like I said I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel , just want to occasionally bang out some stuff that sounds like ufo lights out and deep purple highway star! :headbang: :keys1:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:27 pm

And if you like you can add XILS 3 to get the 'On The Run' type sequenced sound.

Rocker75

Post by Rocker75 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:41 pm

On the run! Yes you guys are totally getting what I'm talking about ! So when it comes to 70s and 80s synths are there certain ones I can research that you guys would consider the "industry standards" , classics??
The kind of stuff EVERYBODY was using back then.

Like what did Jon lord use ? What did Paul McCartney use in wings , those sounds seem a lot a like but I've had very little luck finding that info online.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:30 pm

There's a lot of discussion about the particulars of who-used-what in the synthesizers section.

Rocker75

Post by Rocker75 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Thank you I'll look in that section.

SILIKON I looked into Artuia"s website and I saw somthing that was called analog lab software . It appered to have a lot of the same stuff as the v collection but 300 bucks less . There was also bundle deals that came with a mini key controller, which looked enticing since I would like to upgrade my controller.

Is that software some kind of lite version? What's the difference from the v collection?
And do any of you guys have any experience with that mini controller?

Thanks again guys.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:29 pm

The Analog Lab has all the factory presets of the various plugins; the V-Collection is the entire range of plugins - with patches and the ability to create new patches. The Analog Lab, is simply a 'preset player' of sorts. You can tweak the presets to some degree, but are limited to that. Note that Analog Lab comes with V-Collection.

I don't have experience with their MIDI controllers to speak intelligently on them.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome