Piano house synth

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
mundum

Piano house synth

Post by mundum » Wed May 13, 2015 1:02 pm

He Guys,

I'm having a bit of a struggle with the top end of my piano synths. I included a couple of examples which show the sound I'm after. No matter what piano synth (nexus presest, kontakt, truepianos, wavestation etc) I use, my top end does not sound so punchy. I tried layering it with many different sounds but I am not yet satistief with the result. Anyone who's into this style and has some tips or tricks? Much appreciated!

Examples:
Wiz Khalifa - See You Again (ft. Charlie Puth) (Mazeville Bootleg)
(1:02)

Kokiri - Turn Back Time (Retrospect) (Radio Edit)
https://soundcloud.com/ministryofsound/ ... radio-edit (throughout)

I guess this should give a clear picture. If not I will happely provide more.

FIngers crossed!

ps. I did use a variety of chords and octaves, which already gets me a lot closer, but I still have the feeling that there is more to gain on the synth side

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Piano house synth

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:12 pm

they are both filtered (and probably EQ'd) and then compressed pretty severely, imo.

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu May 14, 2015 7:22 pm

both of those tracks, despite using a typical house piano sound (ie M1-style), have quite different piano sounds. The second is quite toppy and is more like a regular software synth.

The first has a much better mix and the piano has less top end and more compression. It's more a mix-type thing, than the sound source itself (which is probably not dissimilar to the sound you're already using).

mundum

Post by mundum » Fri May 15, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks guys for your help. You're right, they're not that similair, I just like the punch of both sounds. The first one is more what I am trying to achieve.

Am gonna play around with your tips as soon as I get home! Would any of you be willing to give some feedback on my progress?

Hope this URL works, otherwise you can find it here http://picosong.com/jySv/

Again thank you guys! Much appreciated

Oh Ps, Piano @1:26!

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi, neither piano sounds particularly unusual to me, and I agree that the first in particular has been produced to sound flatter/duller. The second one is a bit loud and bright to me. As for the source of the sound, if you want that late 80s / early 90s M1 piano, get an M1. Korg made a software version of it too as far as I recall though I don't know how it compares. If you don't mind hardware the yamaha SY85 also has nice piano sounds that I suspect were also used on a lot of house tracks in the early 90s.

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri May 15, 2015 8:02 pm

The Wavestation piano sound is very similar to the M1 piano sound - slightly different character, but in the same ballpark and is useable - yes, the M1 is *the* 90s house piano. As the OP has the Wavestation, I'd start there...

mundum

Post by mundum » Sat May 16, 2015 11:23 am

Thank you all for your comments. I have just tried the M1 vst and I must say I really like its sounds! This will keep me busy for a while!

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Sat May 16, 2015 11:59 pm

vin14 wrote:get an M1.

Noooo, don't do it! :lol: