Question: Comparison of JV card Orchestral I vs II

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
part12studios

Question: Comparison of JV card Orchestral I vs II

Post by part12studios » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering. I have one slot free still on my JV-1080 that's dying to be filled.

Currently I have:
Vintage Synths
Orchestral
Vocals
(blank)

Seeing that I have the first orchestral, i wondered if the II version is mostly overlap or offers new / unique instruments? additionally maybe it's superior and i would be better off selling the first one off to make room for something else.

I'm trying to find good quality sounds not easily found elsewhere. as much as i love the idea of the techno/dance/industrial cards.. drum sounds are pretty easy to come by and between midiquest patches i've found and vintage synths i have a reasonable pallet of synth sounds to work with. so i really want to come up with good real or rich sounds that would be difficult to sample myself.

Baus

Re: Question: Comparison of JV card Orchestral I vs II

Post by Baus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi part12studios,

Here's a link to descriptions and patch lists of all the SR-JV80 series expansion boards. I think you'll like it.

http://www.planet-groove.com/roland/expansion.html

Best wishes,

Robin
The Netherlands

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:29 pm

@Baus thanks for sharing this. I have seen this before, but forgot to look here. The main thing is how they sound. While I know this is highly subjective to ask I still wondered if anyone had any first hand experience comparing one to the other.

To this day my favorite string patch is the one I got from Peavey as part of a shoebox of floppy disks for my Peavey DPM SP. There is just something about the "STRING HALL" I believe was the name of the patch.. it's a slow attack which helps the realness of it compared to some of it's other patches.. but it's just great sounding in the higher ranges. you can tell they used multiple string samples in over the keyboard mapping. nearly the sole reason i even keep that sampler around still is for that and a few other nice patches.

I wish I could get that sound out of something more convenient. not having to use zip drive and loading each time i get setup.

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:49 am

synthmania have audio demos of most of the SR-JV80 cards, so you can have a listen. Orchestral 1 has "breadth", Orchestral 2 has "depth". They work well together.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 am

wow i didn't know about that site.. I wish that site included sysex files with all of those audio clips! I have some of those synths featured and there are some pretty rockin' patches in there.

that's awesome and thank you @max that's what i needed to know.. would they work well together or cancel one or the other out.. i felt like they should being they obviously made the first one and would know making a second one must compliment or at least vary enough to justify the investment.

Speaking of that, I wonder how people got to sample all of these cards back in the day to decide it was the right card for them.

Baus

Post by Baus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Ah...good...thanks too Max... this was initially the site I was looking for and wanted to post.

@part12studios:
The music store I worked at had a unit with the expansion boards in it for demoing. Same thing for sample cd's, we used to have a carrousel cd player with about 100 sample cd's in it for customers to listen through.

Robin

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:53 pm

cool @Baus that makes sense. Also it's not like ALL of the cards came out at once so retailers could cycle through the latest ones as they came in to hopefully get buyers at the time.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm

part12studios wrote:I wish I could get that sound out of something more convenient. not having to use zip drive and loading each time i get setup.
Autosampler in Apple Mainstage is great for this. There is also samplerobot, but I've never used it.

Alternatively, do a MIDI SDS to a suitable audio editor, and copy the mapping and modulation settings exactly from the Peavey.

The advantage of Autosampler is that you get the character of the original machine's converter and filter.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:27 am

@madtheory yea i may need to revisit this. i tried once upon a time.. but had trouble with it doing a SCSI dump to a PC. it was strange.. the samples made it over via sound forge and you could see the data.. the audio wouldn't play.. it was very strange.. but yea that was like 15 years ago when I tried.. maybe worth a revisit :)

just an old and warning poorly mixed song back around 2001.. so you can get an idea of how it sounded. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/699 ... 0Theme.mp3 basically from start to around 1:15 you can hear the peavey strings I'm talking about. The low mids and highs (not so well shown here) just all really worked well together in one nice patch.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Very moody, I like it.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:42 pm

thanks, with my new incarnation of the studio and the few little things here and there I've learned over the years, I hope I can manage creating better mixes than I could back then.

Usually when I hear string patches on virtually any synth regardless of cost or popularity they just don't sound authentic. They tend to sound good in one range.. but not full range. Although the secret to this patch is the slow attack. When you hear some of the other patches using the same sounds but with a fast attack they feel less realistic.

I bought the Orchestral II off Ebay so i'm looking forward to trying it out first hand. Fortunately what is nice about JV cards is that they generally seem to hold their value so it wouldn't be too hard to re-sell a card and buy another. However I have a feeling I'll have no reason to do that.

Baus

Post by Baus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Nice track!!!

I feel you about those strings... those sound pretty smooth, silky and full at the same time.

However, knowing the Roland expansion strings a bit, I am pretty confident you can come very close
to this sound.

Layer the strings with a more LP sound (analog synth strings or filtered strings) and rebuild them like that.
Not sure if the JV-1080 has a lot of EQ posibilities (I have a XV-3080). If so you could use that to tweak to
your liking.

Let us know the result okay?!

Good luck,

Robin.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:00 am

Thanks @baus yea I think you're right about the cards. The 1080 has some EQ stuff.. but i haven't really explored patch editing thus far. MIDI Quest will make it much easier and shows some low and high EQ settings.

I think you're right about layering and i'm sure even some simple . The Peavey has 16 notes of polyphony but thankfully the patch is a mono patch so it never is a problem since i'm not doing multi timbral stuff with it.

I'm looking to find a replacement patch on the 1080 for strings because i'd just like to be able to retire the peavey sp. I actually just got my hands on a Peavey DPM SP plus this week. it's essentially the same sampler with 32 voices and a resonance filter.. the basic peavy had a LPF but no resonance (why?).. and I think it has a few other little nice things.

I think the peavey did a nice job with their samplers. in spite of the small screen interface i found it easy to program.

I'll definitely report back. Currently my studio is in disarray till I get this K2500R fixed up with a KDFX board I got a hold of. It's a fairly involved installation and a bit intimidating. Debating selling the KDFX board and just enjoying the K2500R as a basic synth / sampler.

Thanks,
Caleb