MIDI recording - a little help?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: MIDI recording - a little help?

Post by madtheory » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:17 am

That catches lots of people. It's not you, it's really dumb labelling! Bit like the "to guitar" and "to amp" labelling on JD Wah pedals. OK they're trying to be helpful, but it ends up causing total confusion because it doesn't teach you the basic signal path. So you end up unable to diagnose simple problems.

I see you have a V-Synth. I can't talk to you now due to hatred ;)

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Well if it's any comfort, I lost some functionality on it since switching to Windows 7.
You can't synthesize love

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Ah, the curse of software...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:03 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:
garranimal wrote:make sure the cable midi IN is connected to the Yamaha midi OUT.
Actually this was it. I assumed the IN and OUT labels indicated that they were supposed to match (IN going to IN and OUT going to OUT). Dumb move on my part I guess. But once I switched, I started getting signal. The Yamaha seemed to be only sending intermittent notes so I switched to the Triton and now it's working perfectly. Thank you for all your input, guys. You've been awesome.
Yay! Little victories and spoils all around. I've done this. I think we've all done this. Such is the way of midi recording, it will not be the last of your troubles.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Midi troubles: Case in point. Just yesterday I was sending midi notes from DAW to the AX73. It was screeching the wrong notes, like cats mating. Spent ALL DAY sussing it out. The DAW was sending midi clock messages to that port. The AX73, and its fallible midi scheme, interpreted the clock messages as note data.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:28 pm

garranimal wrote:like cats mating
Audio or it didn't happen

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:49 pm

pflosi wrote:
garranimal wrote:like cats mating
Audio or it didn't happen
I had to know somebody here would want to hear that. Some TR-8 beats added for your enjoyment.