Dumb Noob Chris with a question about Proteus VX

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Dumb Noob Chris with a question about Proteus VX

Postby chrisburke » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Dear everyone.

Aargh - just posted in my other topic and here I am starting an even dumber one....

Right. I'm drowning in the techie side of computer music so hopefully bear with me...

I got Proteus VX, free download - rompler, I guess you'd call it. It's got a ton of nice free sounds with it, anyway. And you can set as many busses as you want in it.

Now as far as I underst and them, busses are outs, right? So if you're using 8 sounds, you set amount of busses to 8 and each sound then has its own 'out'. Which means in your DAW - just saying this so you can tell me I'm wrong - you can then put individual effects etc. on each sound separately.

So I wanted to layer 3 sounds together, so they always played together when a note hit them from a MIDI track. I THOUGHT that would be easy. Put them all on the same bus, then when the MIDI info hit that bus it would play all three - or however many - sounds. Except it doesn't seem to. It plays the FIRST sound going to that bus, not the others.

As both sounds are on the same bus, why aren't they BOTH being played by notes on the same MIDI channel in the DAW? I've obviously got my thinking cockeyed somewheres but I don't see it.... sorry.... I know I can just have two midi tracks and put all the notes on both tracks and have one track going to each sound, it's just I don't understand why the 'play-them-all-at-once' trick outlined above didn't work.

Even to ME that sounds dumbass - I will learn, honest!

Yours hopefully

Chris.
chrisburke

Re: Dumb Noob Chris with a question about Proteus VX

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:17 pm

because the audio busses does not equate with the internal midi channels? Proteus VX always crashed my machine.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Dumb Noob Chris with a question about Proteus VX

Postby chrisburke » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Dear Ashe.

Thanks very much for the awesomely quick answer - I've only had one crash using Proteus but I will look into what you say.

Please, everyone else, feel free to add more answers - that way I might actually learn something. For once!

Yours hopefully

Chris.
chrisburke

Return to Software Synthesizers