Korg Wavestation-Legacy Cell and FL Studio Workaround...

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Do you use the piano roll feauture?

Yes
80%
No
20%
What's a piano roll?
No votes

Total votes: 5

danno75

Korg Wavestation-Legacy Cell and FL Studio Workaround...

Post by danno75 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Ok so first off, I would love to know if anyone else on these forums uses FL studio,
If not, look in to it. Unfourtunatly it doesn't get along with the Korg VSTI (significant lag in rendered .wav)
So I'm using FL to draw out my piano roll, exporting the .mid to Acid 5, and then rendering in there (no lag).
I wish there was a program that combined the versatility (especially the piano roll) of FL, and the mixing/editing cpabilities of say...Acid or Sonar.
I opend up a copy of Reason once and got an intant headache. It just looked to complex, and i'm not sure if it would do the same things for me.
So in short...

reptar

Post by reptar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 am

FL isn't a professional application, and it sounds like you haven't got yours set up right either.

If it's just piano roll you're after, check out Live, Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar or Logic, they are all pro apps that have piano roll (and host plugins) and are better for mixing.

danno75

Post by danno75 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:53 pm

God no! I would never use Fl for mixing. I have it set up right for what i need it to do...basically drum and bass tracks. Then I export everything out to Sonar.
There is a known problem with the Korg Legacy Collection and FL, with no known pathces.

Thefumigator
Band: thefumigator

Post by Thefumigator » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:59 pm

I don't know if FL studio is a profesional tool or not. Maybe it doesn't have the sound quality results... But I made my tune totally in FL studio and you can hear the result by yourself. Piano roll is the way to go, I could never play those keyboard solos live. Also, I tryed out several softwares, like reason, cubase, and sonar, and for building up an entire song, FL studio is the easiest of them all. Not to mention that my music partner installed cubase and uninstalled it after 15 minutes of use. Future Music magazine gave very good review in their FL article, but they said that it was very hard to use. I think they are mad... its so easy to me...

Then, lets say, you can export each track to wav in FL, and then mix them all in a profesional software mixer like sonar or anything else. I haven't done that in my tune, hear it up and you'll see, its pure FL studio... took me some hours of work, link in my signature, enjoy!
watch my first youtube video :D
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.

danno75

Post by danno75 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:46 pm

Yup, I agree. I figured out FL in 30 minutes. It's just user friendly. And i must agree about the piano roll. it kicks a*s when doing drums too (rolls and flams).

Gotta use something else to mix it though :(

Thefumigator
Band: thefumigator

Post by Thefumigator » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:46 am

Have you checked out my tune? Piano roll almost exploded :D
watch my first youtube video :D
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.

underface

Post by underface » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:14 am

As I've understood it, the problem isn't with FL, but the way Korg handled the VST spec;
http://computermusictutorials.com/artic ... 5200858734

And as far as I'm concerned, mixing in FL Studio is fine as long as one knows how to mix. I've run all sorts of files generated in cSound through it to see how well it translates, combines, and amplifies/attenuates a variety of wav files at a variety of bit deptha and sample rates.

To save you (and me) from a long math filled post; according to my results FL Studio 5 is (mathematically) satisfactory for mixing. (I didn't check out the eq's as much as I wanted to, maybe that will be my next project.)