Classic synth song sheet music

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
Jamie77
Gear: Roland FA-08
Roland JX-3P
Yamaha TX802
Alesis VI25

Classic synth song sheet music

Post by Jamie77 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,
I was just wondering where people go to get their sheet music to learn those classic 80's synth songs?
I keep finding versions modified for the piano on a regular basis, but not as it would have been laid down for the actual synth used (eg parts for lead, base, drums.......etc).
I was able to find one called 'Chart Hits! - Note-for-note arrangements for the Synthesizer' published by Hal-Leonard in 1987.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Extropy

Re: Classic synth song sheet music

Post by Extropy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Sheet music is all over the internet. A Google search with show endless results I imagine

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Classic synth song sheet music

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Which just raises the question: how do you notate "filter sweep?"
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

iowagold
Gear: 4) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, 4) roland integra7, roland xv5050 2 emu proteus 2000, 2 Yamaha 4 studio rooms.

Re: Classic synth song sheet music notation

Post by iowagold » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:16 pm

ha yup almost as good as showing wave form!!
I would just search for the midi file for the song in question....
or do it old school with a modern recorder...
now days you can slow down a song and keep the pitch!!
protools has an add on that work well.
or just find can do it by ear to midi for you!!

that is why most synth guys use a scope to show wave form..
keith emerson did it that way...

synth is an art form for sure!! merge electronics, artist's style, mechanical limits of the equipment in there...
that is why a real good synth guy is in high demand!

and sets apart the guy from the god on any instrument!!
I hear you CJ how do you notate any of the synth settings with out a settings pix of each synth??
now days on some of the modular units they have just that!!
a black and white patch page for a close to the setup..
use color pens for the patch cords, and marker dots for the dials and number settings...
screen shot is nice if you are doing it in a vst… or camera if the synth is hard ware or menu style...

if you look for the patches for like a korg radias some of the guys have a file for a song with the arp, and patch already done... and for most of the classic songs out there!!

same for the late model synths too like the korg kronos!

best advice??
get a scope and a real time recorder that will slow down the tempo and hold pitch!!
and watch the you tube videos from the artists from back in the day to see what keyboards they were using!!
that will give you a head start of what filters etc. you are going to have to emulate!!

that is how I ran in to the scrittmacher the first time!!
I saw it in a rack that tangerine dream had on the electric mandarin tour!!
a little research on that... and I found one in the uk up for sale!!
they are a real work horse!! and they can do percussion as well as synth too... multi midi channels on that unit!!
sync that to a couple of radias units and a dark time yup pretty soon you have all the backing track beat done!

or load it in to your favorite midi recording software!!
just part of the day here!!
LOL!!
throw it in to midi and do not hit quantize!! that is the artists style part to have the time a bit off!!
Paul in Iowa