EKOSYNTH P15. Adding MIDI IN?

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
Extropy

EKOSYNTH P15. Adding MIDI IN?

Post by Extropy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to add MIDI IN to my EkoSynth P15 mono synth, I'd like to control it via my DAW as it sounds fantastic. I've searched google to no avail - I carefully opened it up using tissue over the screwheads to take a photo of the keyboard assembly.

This was my Christmas gift in 1980, shortly after I became interested in guitars and wrapped it up in a blanket along with the manual and pedal, stored it in the back of the cupboard above the stairs at my dads in 1981 and forgot about until recently clearing it out. With it being in a time capsule, it's pretty much brand new, and probably the best one on the planet going off my searches. Everything works perfectly and upon opening it's got a lovely 1980s smell :D

Would it be wise to add MIDI IN to it - or would it ruin any value?

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: EKOSYNTH P15. Adding MIDI IN?

Post by madtheory » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:13 pm

You'll need to add CV and gate inputs. So analyse the schematic to find suitable points. A filter and amp CV would be a good idea too. Then run it with the Kenton Pro Solo. The new one is rather fabby.

Here's the schematic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21imhk1b4j6dq ... s.pdf?dl=0

Quite interesting. Has a DCO. Apart from that the overall design looks to me like it was inspired by the Roland SH2000 although a lot of the modules are implemented in a more 1979 than 1970 way. Apparently it's close to the Crumar DS1/DS2: Same phase accumulator (7483+74174), same portamento/glide circuit, same D/A for the VCF tracking. According to Stefan Huebner, synth tech extrordinaire.

I don't think it would ruin the value, no. It's not a very valuable synth to begin with, and a CV mod makes it more musical.

If you do it, it'll be a world first it seems!

Extropy

Re: EKOSYNTH P15. Adding MIDI IN?

Post by Extropy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:33 pm

madtheory wrote:You'll need to add CV and gate inputs. So analyse the schematic to find suitable points. A filter and amp CV would be a good idea too. Then run it with the Kenton Pro Solo. The new one is rather fabby.

Here's the schematic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21imhk1b4j6dq ... s.pdf?dl=0

Quite interesting. Has a DCO. Apart from that the overall design looks to me like it was inspired by the Roland SH2000 although a lot of the modules are implemented in a more 1979 than 1970 way. Apparently it's close to the Crumar DS1/DS2: Same phase accumulator (7483+74174), same portamento/glide circuit, same D/A for the VCF tracking. According to Stefan Huebner, synth tech extrordinaire.

I don't think it would ruin the value, no. It's not a very valuable synth to begin with, and a CV mod makes it more musical.

If you do it, it'll be a world first it seems!
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with this information, and for the schematics. I couldn't find anything on the EkoSynth P15. I shall delve in this evening. It's interesting you mentioning Roland. To my ear this thing sounds like a mix of a Roland and moog. By the looks of it, the only thing 'Digital' about this synth is the preset programming, the rest of it seems entirely analog.

I must say I have no idea about the value of old analog synths. Because it's so new looking I thought i'd be cautious before modifying anything.

Out of curiosity, how much would I be looking at to pay someone to do the CV mods on this?