Pratt & Read keyboards

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
filopantiLAB

Pratt & Read keyboards

Post by filopantiLAB » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi all!

I'm designing a replacement part for the infamous Pratt&Read bushings holding bar.
It's that sort of "rake" riveted onto the keybed assembly where you slide the rubber bushings in (left right on the image below):
bushingless_3.jpg
note: image from http://www.bustedgear.com/images/jobs/M ... less_3.jpg

Those hooks usually get tired, they loose their position and, in case of heavy finger players, they will snap off completely.
I've done my homework carefully measuring my Gibson G101 combo organ, and there is an uneven pitch between the rail hooks. They should be 13.65mm (quite close to 13.7mm standard distance between keys), all along the 61 keys. Unfortunately this is not true in the interval between Eb and Bb keys:
pitch.png
pitch.png (9.08 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Do you ave any experience about this?
Could you share some measurements?

I'm doing this to restore my Gibons (lying in very bad shape), but I'm willing to buy not only one piece from a local workshop (to spread the tooling costs). If someone is interested, feel free to contact me!

Cheers,
Eugenio!
Last edited by filopantiLAB on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Pratt & Read keyboards

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:51 pm

what are you planning on making it from?
why not 3d print it, at least for the prototypes?

filopantiLAB

Re: Pratt & Read keyboards

Post by filopantiLAB » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:51 pm
what are you planning on making it from?
why not 3d print it, at least for the prototypes?
It will be made from 1.5mm thick steel sheet.
Laser or water cut, then machine folded.

I think I'll skip galvanic zinc coating, and rely just on spray paint to rust proof the steel.
As per the original specs, after bushings install, the whole thing should be sprayed with anti friction paint (teflon based, I assume).

Aboout 3D printing: could be useful print just an octave of the "thing" in both versions (even and uneven pitch), and see what happens. Despite the fact that (now) I'm pretty sure that the spacing is that strange for some unknown reason, because the holes below the hooks also follow the hook's symmetry line. Old mistakes, clever workaorund, who knows....

I was just wondering id someone with a spare keyboard dismantled somewhere could confirm (or update) my guess.