Casio CZ5000 service

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
AndrewB

Casio CZ5000 service

Post by AndrewB » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:50 am

I'd like to get my CZ5000 a service/general clean-up as some of the sounds are beginning to crackle when keys are pressed - I don't want to start taking it apart myself but Casio have been completely useless and unhelpful to the point that they simply don't want to know

nothing is broken or faulty, and no replacement parts are needed (as far as I can tell) - the unit has been lovingly cared for since new in the mid 80s and I just want to get the clean sound back, so I'm hoping this is just a case of dirty contacts etc given its age

does anyone know of a reputable after-market place that would be able to carry out a general clean up? am based in Dublin (RoI) but can travel to UK

thanks

Andrew

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Casio CZ5000 service

Post by Z » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Take a look at this sticky thread: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =24&t=4290

I'm sure you can find a tech near you browsing that thread.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:26 pm

First, welcome to the board Andrew :) Great synth, super reliable- your issue is easy to diagnose. The most likely cause of the crackling is probably:
(a)If it happens when you move the sliders, then it's dirty volume and/ or chorus sliders. The sliders might also be worn out, in which case you'll need to google around for replacements (start with mouser).

(b) If it happens when you play more than one note simultaneously, it's the DAC offset correction. Easy to do once you've opened it up which is admittedly a little awkward if you're not into electronics. See here for some info on it:
http://madtheory.com/site/?p=320
The service manual is readily available "on the line".

(c) If it's intermittent, then you may have faulty audio output sockets (assuming you've checked that your audio cables are not faulty). These sockets are soldered to the board and so prone to physical damage from the weight of the plugs tugging on them. They're JASRAC which are probably a bit expensive to replace. It will take a bit of electronics thinking to substitute a different brand of switching socket, and possibly some slight drilling to widen the holes in the casing.

So you don't need a synth tech, but a pro audio tech who has read the above :). I would try asking here:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=607

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:38 am

Thanks all

spoke to James in Synth Repair in Stoke, who said pretty much the same things - I've a trip to UK planned so have arranged to drop the unit into him to look at while I'm there

will post how I get on

A

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Great, would love to know what the issue was. :)

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Got my CZ back safe & sound - James in Synth Repair Services (in Stoke, 01782 262611) did explain what the issue was but to be honest I was so much in awe of the surrounding synths which were in his workshop waiting to be serviced I can't remember what he said

In the very brief time I was there I managed to take in 2 different revisions of Prophet 5s, an Arp Quadra, a Roland Jupiter 6, a WASP, an OSCar, a LinnDrum, a Korg Polysix, Emulator 2s & 3s, a Memory Moog, an Oberheim OBXa, a Roland TR808, and so many others it was like a museum of synth-p**n to be honest, but the point is this chap is working on all the classics and more besides - he definitely knows his stuff

The main thing is that my CZ is back as good as the day I bought it (new, back in the 80s...) and working fine, and I couldn't recommend James highly enough - because he's so busy he's not great at replying to emails or even his main number so the best way to reach him is actually on his mobile, but to put anyone's mind at ease let me say this: I left in my CZ with James while en route to Korg in Milton Keynes to get my MS10 and Wavestation EX overhauled - out of professional interest James enquired as to the issues with both synths and I set out the problems I was having - without even looking at them he told me what needed to be done, and when I got them back from Korg later that week it turned out James had nailed the problems beforehand (and as point of fact the Wavestation now has to go back to Korg to fix a separate problem that arose while it was in their care, so I will leave readers to drawn their own conclusions from that...)

I'm going back to James next time I need to look after my babies...

A