Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Re: Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:28 am

I've pointed out multiple times in this thread that the U-220 does not take RAM cards... :)

Regarding other news to tell, as far as I know testing has shown that the cards are also not fully compatible to Akai synths at the moment, and whether that can be solved or not remains yet to be seen. So don't hold your breath. :)

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:08 pm

ʝɵʝɵ wrote:as far as I know testing has shown that the cards are also not fully compatible to Akai synths at the moment, and whether that can be solved or not remains yet to be seen.
What ʝɵʝɵ said. Also I'm not dead yet ;)

I'm working with madtheory to understand the problems he's having in his Akai. Akai support is very much a stretch goal, but the hack value alone is worth the stretch to me, so we'll at least give it a shot.

Apart from that, as aladan already pointed out, he received his card and is testing as we speak (some mechanical problems in his JV-1080 right now). There's one more card en route to bassman4d521 for testing in his VG-8, and I hope it'll arrive soon so we get that angle covered.

In the meantime I'm procrastinaworking on the Revision C layout, but there are still a few uncertainties to iron out, such as whether or not I should move the memory chip to prevent mechanical issues like aladan is having right now. If yes, I'm not looking forward to the new wiring work :o

Due to lots of real-life stuff going on (none of it bad :D), this project isn't getting the attention I think it deserves, but I'm known for pulling through on stuff, so don't you guys worry ;) The Christmas season might be in jeopardy though :lol:

Cheers
dojoe

aladan

Post by aladan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:38 am

ʝɵʝɵ wrote:I've pointed out multiple times in this thread that the U-220 does not take RAM cards... :)
So you have! Sorry, I haven't been following the thread closely enough.

Cheers,
A.

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:50 am

Interesting, now I wonder what's the difference between your and baz99's JV-1080, since he didn't seem to have any slot issues with the rev.B card? :) Are there different hardware revisions of the JV-1080?

aladan

Post by aladan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:34 am

I have two JV-1080s - one early serial number and one late - so once I get the card out of the one it got stuck in (and pull it apart to see what caused it to get stuck) I'll try the other one as well and see if it's the same or different.

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:33 am

ʝɵʝɵ wrote:Interesting, now I wonder what's the difference between your and baz99's JV-1080, since he didn't seem to have any slot issues with the rev.B card?
baz99 did have slot issues, though not as badly as aladan; he got the card out again. The JV-1080 slots seem to warp with age, and now either aladan's slot is more warped than baz99's, or baz99 was less careful in getting the card out =)

As I said, I'll likely move the memory chip (which we think is the one getting latched inside the slot) more towards the switches; that should hopefully fix it. Additionally, you can reduce friction by putting some transparent tape onto the chip.

Thelux

Post by Thelux » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:51 pm

hi, i need one M256E or M256D for my Roland R8, how i can order?

ʝɵʝɵ

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Please read the first post of this thread.

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:26 pm

aladan wrote:I have two JV-1080s - one early serial number and one late - so once I get the card out of the one it got stuck in (and pull it apart to see what caused it to get stuck) I'll try the other one as well and see if it's the same or different.
Kinda offtopic question. Does the LCD display on the newer have different color than the one on the older unit? I'm curious because i have 1080 with green LCD, yet i remember when i had 1080 in 1995 right when it came out (early version) it was yellow / blue display. Or at least that's how i remember it.

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Hey,

things have been slow these previous months, so I think you guys deserve an update even though there's no breakthrough to report:

I am still waiting for test reports from two beta testers who appear to have dropped off the face of the earth. Still hoping that's just a technical problem -- my email server has a habit of sometimes eating important mails.

madtheory didn't get the card working in his Akai keyboard. I've sent my debug hardware to him and he's going to take a look; maybe we can figure out what's going wrong and fix it for Rev.C.

Regardless of that, I've taken the time to incorporate all the changes I had in mind for Rev.C so far -- which ended up being almost a complete rewiring of the card as several devices got moved around. The two biggest changes are the new filters on the control signals to prevent the card corruption problem that Zaichnornok was having, and I moved the MRAM chip quite a bit towards the switches to prevent the card from getting stuck in old JV-1080s.

I also sexied up the card with a nice logo on the backside:
Thanks to the fine gents at technoempire on eBay, who took the wonderful reference photo I made the silkscreen image from, and kindly allowed me to use it.

I'll give the betas another month or so to react, after that I'll go and make another round of six Rev.C prototypes and ask for more beta volunteers.

Until then, enjoy the snazzy new year we have here. Don't spend it all at once.

SoundWerx

Post by SoundWerx » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:53 pm

Looks incredible! Still very interested here and willing to buy. Thanks for the update, I'm happy to see the project is still continuing.

Thelux

Post by Thelux » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Nice news! I Wait for it ! thanks

baz99

Post by baz99 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:25 pm

The new design looks fantastic, while I'm very happy with my Rev.B that I already have, I'm a bit envious of all future Rev.C owners who will get such a good looking card! ;)

ertaeth

Post by ertaeth » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:35 am

Only just came across this. Totally interested in a M-256E alternative for my JD-800. looks like I've come at the right time. Sweet design as well! Can't wait to hear from the beta testers. Keep up the great work!

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:58 pm

dojoe wrote: I am still waiting for test reports from two beta testers
Make that one beta tester -- I got word from bassman4d521 that the card is basically working in his VG-8. He didn't put it through extensive use yet as his time is very limited right now, but these are still very good news.