Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
k2500x

Re: Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

Post by k2500x » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 pm

ʝɵʝɵ wrote:Yes, every bank is completely independent of the other banks, and a card configured as M512 can also be used in devices that only need an M256 card (but you will lose half of the space). It only depends on whether you're too lazy to put the card into another synth or not. ;D
Well in the case of many synths, my jd800 included, you'd have to pull the card out to switch the bank anyway. :shock:

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Huh no, that's not how the card is supposed to be used! The card is long enough so that it sticks out of the card slot, and on most synths the card slot is conveniently reachable so that you can switch banks without taking the card out (you can see an example picture on page 3). Then, you should only need to dial up a new patch in the synth and it should be coming from the newly switched-to bank automatically. Unless, of course, the synth would cache the entire bank, but I have so far not seen any of them doing that.

k2500x

Post by k2500x » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:34 pm

ʝɵʝɵ wrote:Huh no, that's not how the card is supposed to be used! The card is long enough so that it sticks out of the card slot, and on most synths the card slot is conveniently reachable so that you can switch banks without taking the card out (you can see an example picture on page 3). Then, you should only need to dial up a new patch in the synth and it should be coming from the newly switched-to bank automatically. Unless, of course, the synth would cache the entire bank, but I have so far not seen any of them doing that.
Huh yes, see example of jd800 on page 15. It's a huge synth with the card tucked way in the back. A full arms reach just to get at it. Even if you had pen-tipped fingers it's going to be a struggle to flip the those switches without pulling it first. It looks like a standard length card to me actually.

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Well, naturally I cannot judge what exactly the handling is going to be like on a synth that I do not own, but since you can operate the switches mostly blindly, I think it should be doable by reaching behind the synth, even if it's big. It's probably not super convenient, but it shouldn't require the card to be removed. ;) But time will tell!

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:23 am

k2500x wrote:
ʝɵʝɵ wrote:Huh no, that's not how the card is supposed to be used! The card is long enough so that it sticks out of the card slot, and on most synths the card slot is conveniently reachable so that you can switch banks without taking the card out (you can see an example picture on page 3). Then, you should only need to dial up a new patch in the synth and it should be coming from the newly switched-to bank automatically. Unless, of course, the synth would cache the entire bank, but I have so far not seen any of them doing that.
Huh yes, see example of jd800 on page 15. It's a huge synth with the card tucked way in the back. A full arms reach just to get at it.
Maybe you have short arms but I have no trouble reaching for the memory card/waveform card at the back of my JD800 ... once you know where the slot is, it's easy just to reach around and grab it (if you pardon the expression ;) )

Looking forward to seeing one of these mythical memory cards.... it's been quite a journey!

k2500x

Post by k2500x » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Tekhed66 wrote:
k2500x wrote:
Huh yes, see example of jd800 on page 15. It's a huge synth with the card tucked way in the back. A full arms reach just to get at it.
Maybe you have short arms but I have no trouble reaching for the memory card/waveform card at the back of my JD800 ... once you know where the slot is, it's easy just to reach around and grab it (if you pardon the expression ;) )

Looking forward to seeing one of these mythical memory cards.... it's been quite a journey!
uhm, seems like you didn't read the prior discussion at all. And I never said I couldn't reach the card. ;)

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:08 am

Huh yes, see example of jd800 on page 15. It's a huge synth with the card tucked way in the back. A full arms reach just to get at it.[/quote]

Looking forward to seeing one of these mythical memory cards.... it's been quite a journey![/quote]

uhm, seems like you didn't read the prior discussion at all. And I never said I couldn't reach the card. ;)[/quote]

yep... I read the post ... I never suggested that you couldn't reach the card ... either way, I'm sure people will work out what works for them once they get their hands on a card ... I'm sure it will be a problem everyone is looking forward to (ie. getting a card and working out how to use it).
cheers!

silicium

Post by silicium » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi, just discovered this forum and thread because I have similar needs of memory backup for my D-550 and D-70, so I started my own design with RAM and flash and microcontroller and additional MIDI interface. Virtual card can be with builtin battery like ST M48Z35, or larger 128K with external battery, or just preloaded from flash at power-up. I don't need any removable card, will take apart the slot board and put my card switching system there.

bernbrue
Gear: ADT-5MT 32/64 channel mixing console, Roland D-50, JX-8P, JV-90, R8m, Yamaha TG77, MoXF8, lots of outboard and vintage mics

Post by bernbrue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Enlight us with further details (pictures) while waiting for Jojos card. Your approach seems similar to the PA Decoder RAM expansion for the Roland D-50.
Chers
Bernd

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:45 pm

bernbrue wrote:Enlight us with further details (pictures) while waiting for Jojos card. Your approach seems similar to the PA Decoder RAM expansion for the Roland D-50.
Yeah, I'd be interested too, but please let me ask you to start a new thread about it - this one is cluttered enough as it is ;)

Evil Dragon
Gear: Audiothingies Micromonsta
Kurzweil PC3K8
Korg: TR-Rack, NS5R
Kawai K5000R
Roland: JD-990, MKS-70
Waldorf: Microwave I & II, Blofeld
Yamaha FS1R

Post by Evil Dragon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 pm

dojoe wrote:I'll just leave this here:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

ME WANNA! :oops:

wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: LoveRock, T40, MG500, JX10 4.0, D-50, Juno 60, VZ10M, CZ1, HT6000, K3m, SX240, Lambda, DSS1, Yamaha SY2, DX11, SQ80, MultiTrak, SammichSID
Band: Gospel Choirs

Post by wjmwpg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 am

dojoe wrote:I'll just leave this here:

120 cards, fresh from the assembly house. Next steps: Testing, some final assembly steps, setting up a sales channel (i.e. a website and PayPal link ;) ). I should maybe procure some sticky printable shipping labels too :lol:

I'm on vacation for the next two weeks, but I'll get started with all that once I return. Getting close! :D
So exciting!

Joe50000

Post by Joe50000 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 pm

k2500x wrote:
Huh yes, see example of jd800 on page 15. It's a huge synth with the card tucked way in the back. A full arms reach just to get at it. Even if you had pen-tipped fingers it's going to be a struggle to flip the those switches without pulling it first. It looks like a standard length card to me actually.

Here is some pics of what card looks like on back of JD800( you can see the switches are about flush with the back however there is enough room to work with imo).. It could be tricky because top of synth sticks out a few inches before it recesses? to card spot. I don't think you would need to take it out though.

SerialSinger
Band: Alphataurus

Post by SerialSinger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Any news about the first batch of sales? My birthday is near the corner and I'm short of ideas for self-gifts! :D

DigitalMetal

Post by DigitalMetal » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:32 am

I'm interested, (posting to follow thread).