Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
Zaichornok
Gear: EMU Proteus, Prophet 2000, JV-2080, Yamaha CP8 Grand, Fender Precision Bass, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Epiphone Black Beauty etc etc

Re: Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

Post by Zaichornok » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:55 am

OK thanks. Here they are: the GC-8 is the remote for the Roland R880 Reverb.

Zaichornok
Gear: EMU Proteus, Prophet 2000, JV-2080, Yamaha CP8 Grand, Fender Precision Bass, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Epiphone Black Beauty etc etc

Post by Zaichornok » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 am

Dojoe, I also meant to post photos of the Roland M-512G variation of the card.
I have one of these too, and also use it in my R880 / GC-8 device. It sticks out much further and must have been made for a particular Roland device with a very deep slot. Don't know what that might be, but someone else here might - and you may want to consider making your longer?
Interesting thing is that it shows how your new card could be encapsulated if it was longer like this one.
The PCB itself measures 1.64mm in thickness
It is laminated both sides with a black plastic insulator (as you have suggested before), that is 0.40mm thick.
One side of the laminate is shorter of course, to expose the contacts only. So the thickness that actually goes intoe the slot is 1.64mm + 0.40mm = 2.04mm, and the overall thickness of the extended PCB up to the point of exposed contacts is 0.40 + 1.64 + 0.40 = 2.44mm.
The box measures 56mm wide by 45mm deep by 16mm thick. I had a quick look for something similar, but didn't locate one that was close yet.
Image Image Image Image Image

baz99

Post by baz99 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am

Here's the manual for the 512G, unfortunately it doesn't really tell us what the card was intended for, but it seems fairly recent, the copyright is 2002:
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/M-512G_OM.pdf

Edit:
This web site explains the reason for the 512G (in German):
http://www.roland-museum.de/zub/memo/M5 ... 2G.php?l=d

Basically Roland ran out of custom chips used in the 512E (they used chips without casing due to the very low height) so they built the 512G with a standard chip that would have been to thick for the card slot.

Also the 512G uses a CR2032 (which has a higher capacity than a CR2016) so the battery will last longer.

Slide58

Post by Slide58 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:49 am

Hi - I'm interested in a M-512e clone for use with my Roland VG8ex .I'm on the V-guitar forum and that's how I got to know about your project.Would be great to have more patches to select! :D
Mail me when you are ready to ship. Greetz. Slide58

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Sun May 03, 2015 6:23 pm

I'll just leave this here:

I built the first of the RevB cards and also the test jig I'm planning to use to test those cards. I still need to create the test software, and there are some things that might make the test jig a failure (most notably the test pins aren't as willing to make contact as I had hoped), but I'll see about that soon.

Thanks for the photos, Zaichornok! The card should mechanically fit your GC-8 no problem whatsoever. Also thanks for the detailed teardown photos of the 512G -- Roland apparently went for a very similar 3.3V architecture there as I did for my card -- I can tell from the abundance of level translators and what appears to be a tiny voltage regulator near the battery; both very similar to what I'm using.

MrSilver

Post by MrSilver » Mon May 04, 2015 9:34 am

I'm interested in this cards for my jd-800, put me on the list please.

Zaichornok

Post by Zaichornok » Mon May 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Rev B looking fantastic dojoe. can wait to use one of these.

JudgeMingus

Post by JudgeMingus » Wed May 06, 2015 12:25 pm

I just found this project today, and I registered on the forum just so I can follow up on it!

This would be a great piece of gear for me, and I know a few other people who could be interested.

Thanks for your dev efforts!

dTb36

Post by dTb36 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:31 pm

This project is a great idea.
I have a Roland u-20 I spent 2 weeks on it to get all keys to respond. Finally I found that the electric tape that holds the Thin flexible "band of wires" out of the way from the keyboard to the circuit board, also helps maintain the electrical contacts. I paid 60 for it with 8 keys dead. Two weeks and 6" of electrical tape and it sounds great. I'm just getting into this. Your affordable card should help value-to-upgrade ratio with the card palatable. Please add me to you list for follow-up. Thanks dTb

echolevel

Post by echolevel » Sun May 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Fantastic - it only occurred to me to go looking for a project like this today, after seeing the price of D-50 compatible memory cards on eBay, and here it is! Brilliant work.

Please add me to your list of interested parties; I'm extremely interested!

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Sun May 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Actually, people, please keep watching this space - it is unlikely that dojoe or me can or will send out dozens of private messages over the forum to wake you people up. Just keep looking into the thread every now and then, I will make sure to update the first post with the appropriate information once we're that far.

lesliecaulfield

Post by lesliecaulfield » Thu May 14, 2015 7:09 pm

I just had my JD-800 cleaned and it still works great. I also just found the M-256D Ram card. I would certainly purchase one if it does what you want. My problem at the moment is all of my old JD-800 sound banks are on those 3.5 inch floppy cards. I'm going to have to invest in an old card reader but I would rather wait for your product. Good luck.
Les Caulfield

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Thu May 21, 2015 11:47 pm

I got the testbench to work! \o/ This means I can test finished cards easily and not have to surprise you with dead-on-arrivals ;)

The card is clamped in there just so I don't have to push it down by hand while developing the test software. Later, I'll just put the card in there, push it down manually, press a button to start the test, operate all switches and then the blue light will tell me the card's alright =D

I'd go to work building five more cards right away, but it's far too late to do that today. I'll find time, don't you worry ;)

baz99

Post by baz99 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:18 am

dojoe wrote: I got the testbench to work! \o/ This means I can test finished cards easily and not have to surprise you with dead-on-arrivals ;)

The card is clamped in there just so I don't have to push it down by hand while developing the test software. Later, I'll just put the card in there, push it down manually, press a button to start the test, operate all switches and then the blue light will tell me the card's alright =D

I'd go to work building five more cards right away, but it's far too late to do that today. I'll find time, don't you worry ;)
Congratulations, that sounds like a well thought out setup. =D>
I wish I had your electronic engineering skills... :ugeek:

JudgeMingus

Post by JudgeMingus » Sat May 23, 2015 7:03 am

Great work! Let us know with a post here when you are ready for orders.