Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
dojoe

Re: Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

Post by dojoe » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:23 pm

freed wrote:Molex has some 170 pos .75mm pitch connectors. Quite expensive for a try (2 wires for 1 pin hack maybe?)
Hmm, you mean like http://www.digikey.de/product-detail/en ... ND/1855737 ?

You might be onto something there =) The half pin pitch will make plugging an adventure because if you shift the card ever so slightly, the pins might end up shorting neighboring pads on the card, and the memory card edge dimensions don't match what's needed for the connector, so you'll have to line up the card by hand. To add insult to injury, my cards will need to be plugged slightly differently compared to the originals because of the slimming at the edge connector.

It won't be fun, but it might be worth a try. Certainly not something for the casual user though, which means no mass production, which means omg my poor useless hands which means PRICE. ;)

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi Dojoe,

I have no idea if you're getting my PM's because I can't seem to get them out of my 'outbox' :roll:

But I am still very much interested in one of those cards. :-)

grtz.

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:46 pm

To re-iterate the first post:

Do not send me (or dojoe) personal messages for buying memory cards. No, we are not shipping yet. Read the complete thread (and subscribe!) for updates.

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:18 pm

ʝɵʝɵ wrote:To re-iterate the first post:
This one's an actual beta tester that's having problems reaching me ;)

Valentine, I got your PM now, and sent you my email address in response. I'll shove a few PMs into the queue after it; maybe that'll get the pipes unclogged ;) You could PM me your email too to make sure one of us is getting the other's addresses.

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:12 am

Apologies, the post didn't make it apparent. :)

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:33 am

Short update:
  • Six of eight RevC cards have been built (new soldering station! yay! \o/)
  • Zaichornok received a RevC card already (to verify the new design fixes the issues in his GC-8); probably testing as I type
  • Three more cards are on their way to beta testers, two further testing inquiries have gone out.
  • I'll build the last two cards next weekend probably, will ask around for beta testers then.

grit
Band: Grit

Post by grit » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:14 am

Interesting card - I was wondering if this could be used to make sample cards as well, I designed one for the Yamaha RX5: https://www.retrokits.com/rk001.jpg

..what a familiar colour ;-)

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:36 am

grit wrote:Interesting card - I was wondering if this could be used to make sample cards as well, I designed one for the Yamaha RX5: https://www.retrokits.com/rk001.jpg
Nice card, and nice case =)

Check this page and the previous one -- we just discussed using the card as sample cards. Main problem is the lack of a reader/writer with fitting slot.
grit wrote:..what a familiar colour ;-)
:mrgreen:

dojoe

Call for beta testers

Post by dojoe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:14 pm

So.

All RevC cards are built and tested now. I hope I'll never have to solder one of these by hand again :roll:

I have a few cards (two or three depending on tester responses) that I haven't assigned to anyone yet, so if you'd like to get your hands on a coveted prototype for less than the final selling price and help me out with ticking more synths off on my compatibility list, please apply here ;)

I'm already covered for Roland D-5, D-50, D-550, JD-800, JD-990, JV-880, JV-1000, JV-1080, JV-2080, U-20, R-8M, TR-626, VG-8 EX, GC-8, and Akai MX1000, so please only apply if you have any gear beyond these. I'm especially looking for the A series as they're said to have compatible slots, and I haven't gotten test coverage on any of these yet. Also if you have anything that's not from Roland but still takes these cards, by all means do speak up :D

The beta cards are 60€ plus shipping (5€ unless you need it insured and tracked) plus all the feedback you can give me on how well they perform or not ;) In return I promise to investigate and fix any problems you might have, or if I can't fix it, take the card back and refund you.

Until then, have a nice weekend!

oli

Re: Call for beta testers

Post by oli » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:40 am

dojoe wrote:I have a few cards (two or three depending on tester responses) that I haven't assigned to anyone yet, so if you'd like to get your hands on a coveted prototype for less than the final selling price and help me out with ticking more synths off on my compatibility list, please apply here ;)
I would love to purchase a card, and join in testing. I would like to use with a Roland R-880.

Regards,

Oli

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:58 pm

oli wrote:I would love to purchase a card, and join in testing. I would like to use with a Roland R-880.
Congratulations, you got the job ;) I'll PM you about details.

One or two cards left, any takers? ;)

oli

Post by oli » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi, thanks a lot! email sent.

Cheers, Oli

Berylline
Gear: Yamaha DX11, Yamaha PSR-410, Roland D-10(soon to be sold), Boss DR-660

Post by Berylline » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am

dojoe wrote:
oli wrote:I would love to purchase a card, and join in testing. I would like to use with a Roland R-880.
Congratulations, you got the job ;) I'll PM you about details.

One or two cards left, any takers? ;)
Hello there! I would definitely like to be a tester as I have a Roland D-10. :)

dojoe

Post by dojoe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Berylline wrote:Hello there! I would definitely like to be a tester as I have a Roland D-10. :)
Hey, thanks for volunteering! =) Something came up with Joe50000's card that I have to investigate and I'll need the leftover card for that. But you're on the list =)

Joe has problems formatting the RevC card in his JV synths. That might be related to the new filters on the control signals, so I definitely have to investigate that. Definitely fixable, so no worries ;)

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:17 pm

I've tested the card in my D-50, JD-800 and U-20 and it works fine! It does not work in my JV-1000 though. Keeps displaying 'The datacard is not formatted properly'. Dojoe already told me this problem will probably be fixed :-)

So far: A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I can store 64 internal + 1024 ram card patches on my D-50 now 8-)

Here's an article I wrote about this card on my blog:

Custom RAM cards