Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Out of stock!

Postby dojoe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Aaaand we're out of stock! :blink:

Well, that was quick. 120 cards are gone in a breeze. We switched the website back to the registration page you all love so much - feel free to register your email if you'd like to be notified when we have cards back in stock.

I'm going to make new ones, but not before next year - I'd like to see how the cards behave in the field, maybe there's a problem with some device that we haven't found yet and needs fixing. Also my fearful self wants to know how large that next batch should be - another 120, or will 60 be enough?

Until then, y'all have fun with your new toys, and please report back how they're working for you and in which devices :)

All the best!
dojoe & jojo
dojoe

Re: Custom-built multi-bank Roland M-256/M-512 memory cards

Postby pkn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Probably a large batch when more people finding this topic when in search for cards...

Can confirm working on D-10 and R8-M!
pkn

Postby ʝɵʝɵ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:09 am

It's great so see so many happy people after all this time. I really didn't expect this more than three years ago. :)
Thank you all for this great journey, and an extra thank you to dojoe for taking this journey with me. :D
ʝɵʝɵ

Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Postby Evil Dragon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am

I got my card!

I actually inserted it the wrong way the first few times (it said "Data card not ready" and didn't want to format at all). I had to break out the JD-990 manual to see that "Improper data card" error shows when an unformatted card is inserted. So I turned it the other way around (carefully, nothing got damaged while pulling it out! Phew!), and then managed to format all 16 banks. Yay!

Happy camper here!
Evil Dragon

Gear: Audiothingies Micromonsta
Kurzweil PC3K8
Korg: TR-Rack, NS5R
Kawai K5000R
Roland: JD-990, MKS-70
Waldorf: Microwave I & II, Blofeld
Yamaha FS1R

Postby dojoe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Evil Dragon wrote:I actually inserted it the wrong way the first few times

I knew I should have added some text "This side up" on the card :lol:

Evil Dragon wrote:Happy camper here!

And here too :D Glad it's working for you!
dojoe

Postby Evil Dragon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:40 am

There's no "up" on JD-990 though :P

Could've just used a triangle icon, which is also implied on JD-990's silkscreen, above the slots (and official cards have that triangle, too). :)

Evil Dragon

Kurzweil PC3K8
Kawai K5000R
Yamaha FS1R

Postby ʝɵʝɵ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Yeah, maybe for the next revision, printing a triangle on the card might be a good idea. :) There will STILL be people who put it in the wrong way, but at least we can blame them then. :lol:
ʝɵʝɵ

Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Postby Evil Dragon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Exactly! :D
Evil Dragon

Kurzweil PC3K8
Kawai K5000R
Yamaha FS1R

Postby elsongs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:50 am

After some minor Post Office drama (the card was delivered on Monday, but I wasn't home and had to sign off on it, so they left a note in my mail box, and I had to visit the post office to pick it up in person, which I did on Tuesday, but it wasn't there...made another attempt today, and finally got it!), I GOT MY CARD! - Serial No #91!

DANKE SCHOEN, dojoe and ʝɵʝɵ, for all your hard work in making this happen! I bought my D-50 earlier this year and hoped to get a multi-bank RAM card, and just found out about your years-long effort, so this was perfect timing!

I have more than enough banks, so I'm able to back up my internal bank to bank D-4 so I can clear the INT memory to shuffle and transfer banks around!

My only tiny complaint is that I find myself removing the card every time I want to switch the banks -- I can switch it with the card inside, but I don't want to write over the wrong bank by accident, so I have to look at the switches close-up. Maybe a future update could have tiny multicolored LEDs to give you an indication of which banks you've switched to?

Other than that (and the nakedness of the card itself, no cover), it's perfect!

elsongs
Linear Arithmetic, California :)
elsongs

Postby ʝɵʝɵ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Great to hear you got your card!
My only tiny complaint is that I find myself removing the card every time I want to switch the banks -- I can switch it with the card inside, but I don't want to write over the wrong bank by accident

My personal advice to do before every Int->Card transfer is to first hit the CARD button to check which bank you are going to overwrite.
ʝɵʝɵ

Postby dojoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:32 pm

elsongs wrote:DANKE SCHOEN, dojoe and ʝɵʝɵ, for all your hard work in making this happen! I bought my D-50 earlier this year and hoped to get a multi-bank RAM card, and just found out about your years-long effort, so this was perfect timing!

Hey, glad you got it and it's making you a happy camper! :D

elsongs wrote:(and the nakedness of the card itself, no cover)

That's why I tried my best to make the naked card as good looking as possible ;) Even a sheet of thick plastic foil would have been too much for some synths (the slots appear to distort ever so slightly with age), plus the blue wire is already more hand assembly that I'd like ;)
dojoe

Postby SoundWerx » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Woohoo! Both my cards just arrived (#39 & #40). It's taken quite a while get to New Zealand but it's the perfect Christmas present for myself and I can't wait to try them out over the holidays. Thank you so much! Merry Christmas everybody.
SoundWerx

Postby ʝɵʝɵ » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Glad to hear that they finally arrived. Happy holidays and happy patch storing! :D
ʝɵʝɵ

Postby Críoch » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 am

Hi, picked up a JD800 recently & would love to buy one of these cards. I added my email to the list. Is that the best way.. or is there a parallel username list too?

Thanks to JJ & DJ for all their work. Amazing result!

Understand what you intend to do regarding the next batch. Sensible.

So anyway.. I'm an Ultra long time lurker gone legit. Happy to be on VSE at last. Been helped a lot by the treads here over the years &often find myself revisiting the same ones again & again. Lots of folks here that I see using other sites - so I may see you around.
Críoch

Postby ʝɵʝɵ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:18 am

Críoch wrote:I added my email to the list. Is that the best way.. or is there a parallel username list too?

If there is another way, then I'm not aware of it. :lol: No, seriously, adding your name to the notification list is the only thing you can do. There is no secret priority list or anything.
ʝɵʝɵ

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods