Vintage Synthesizer Museum / Studio

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Vintage Synthesizer Museum / Studio

Postby analoglsd » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:51 pm

http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/on ... seen/52356

Opening a synth museum/studio has long been a pipe dream of mine, and well, I got it out of the pipe.
The museum is located in what used to be John Nady's personal recording studio right on the Oakland/Emeryville border.
Mr. Nady loving referred to the studio as 'Earth Rise Studio' and it comes complete with one of those cheesy wall murals that shows the Earth from the Moon's surface'
There is a 'live room' which is about 500sqft where most of the polysynths reside.
There is also a smaller 'control room' where all of the monosynths reside.
All of the synths and drum machines are routed to mixers which are, in turn, routed to monitors and the recording interface.
Rates start at $30/hr for private access to the studio/collection.
So far, most of the folks coming in, are just hobbyists, but we've also had a commercial artists and producers who do albums, sample packs, video games, and music for advertising agencies.
Everyone who's come through has been really happy with their experience.

http://www.vintagesynthmuseum.com
https://www.facebook.com/vintagesynthmuseum
on Instagram @vintagesynthmuseum
https://www.youtube.com/c/VintageSynthesizerMuseum
Last edited by analoglsd on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Re: Vintage Synthesizer Museum

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:36 am

Perhaps you should consider a kickstarter campaign. Then you would be able to get cash up front for future visits without really losing out. I mean, the money would help keep you afloat and you already own the inventory.

Or even possibly getting some investors ? I always thought a standalone Musuem called The Vintage Synth Explorer would sound good.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby Fatbenelton » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:32 am

Have you thought of offering a differentiated entry price?

Perhaps:
$15 for hobbyists (reduced price but increased revenue via increased footfall from casual users is the plan!)
$50/hour (more?) for commercial users - these guys are making money off the products they create using your kit. Maybe even provide a service whereby you do the recording etc based on their requirements

Also, look at local schools etc and get in touch with the music depts local education depts etc. Try and have a set two hour slot where you can go through the history of modern music/history of electronic music. Depending on the demographics you can so something of the influence of early electronic music on hip hop (Kraftwerk/Planet rock for e.g.) or something! The idea is to fill the otherwise quieter day with school kids! That might get a more regular footfall....
Jonny Jones
Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: OBSX, Jupiter 4, Trident,Korg 800DV, Minimoog, SH2, JV2080, WSAD, Nyborg, TX802, EX8000, KS5, SY35, GEM S2, Crumar Performer, RX5, KR55, Minipops7

Postby Swayze » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:29 pm

This is such a rad idea. I really hope you can stay in business. My advice would be to get the word out to local recording studios. I interned at Fantasy and know the guys at Sharkbite, both are a stones throw away from Emeryville. I know those guys are into synths and their clientele might be interested in your services as well. You've got a ton of synths I would love to demo myself. I should be in the area mid December and will definitely pay you a visit.
Swayze

Gear: Mono/Poly, EX8000, JX3P, AX80, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, AN1x, Microbrute, Drumtraks

Postby analoglsd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:24 am

Thanks for the ideas! There's some really good ones there.

@sequentialsoftshock: as per your advice, I started looking at the Kickstarter page last night. I've donated to several friend's campaigns before, so I'll try to contact one of them for more insight. Thanks!
As far as investors go, I have no idea where to even begin with that....

@Fatbenelton: the differentiated rates is something that has been considered, and is probably something we'll try to implement going forward.
As far as contacting local education depts, if you have any further insight into a professional way to do so, PM me. I have a friend who teaches a class on electronic music at UC Santa Cruz, and I'm trying to talk him into teaching an intro to subtractive synthesis class. He's into it, but on tour at the moment.

@Swayze: Thanks for the kind words. As far as contacting local studios, are you thinking in terms of referrals, or in renting gear to them? I know some smaller studios rent mics and stuff like that. I'm friends with Jesse Nichols at Fantasy, so I'll hit him up and see what he thinks.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Swayze » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:34 am

I was thinking more along the lines of them sending some business your way and creating a buzz about your museum by word of mouth. But they might also be interested in renting synths for certain clients and sessions. They have a couple nice vintage keyboards but no synths...just a dusty DX7 that's stored upstairs and sees little to no use these days. I offered to buy it but no deal. Jeffrey the studio director said it had to much history to let it go but I'll try again next time I'm there. :D

Definitely give Jesse a call, he's a good guy that I'm sure would be happy to talk it over with the rest of the gang. He had an MG-1 that I wanted to buy but he wasn't quite ready to part with that either. Us synth-enthusiasts get so attached...I have a hard time letting gear go myself.

Anyway, good luck with everything and keep us posted!
Swayze

Gear: Mono/Poly, EX8000, JX3P, AX80, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, AN1x, Microbrute, Drumtraks

Postby analoglsd » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:02 am

Bump
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby analoglsd » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:22 pm

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby analoglsd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:05 pm

Bump.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:19 am

Having been there this past summer, I can highly recommend it. I spent several hours there and still only got to like half of what I wanted to play with.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Postby analoglsd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Come on over.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby analoglsd » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:57 pm

Recent additions to the studio:
Rhodes Chroma
DK Synergy
Fairlight
Korg PS-3100
Roland Jupiter 6
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Holy moley. I definitely need to get down there again.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Postby analoglsd » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 am

Bump
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby synthroom » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 am

analoglsd wrote:Recent additions to the studio:
Rhodes Chroma
DK Synergy
Fairlight
Korg PS-3100
Roland Jupiter 6

Which model Fairlight do you have? DO you know any of its history? Did you get floppies with it?
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Next

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods