Problem Solved: ESQ-1 Battery Error issues

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Problem Solved: ESQ-1 Battery Error issues

Postby kevinmcnasty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:13 pm

I have an Ensoniq ESQ-1 that had the low battery error so I removed the battery and soldered a battery socket with a fresh battery in, then checked the voltage to the plug which read 3 volts, but I'm still getting a low battery error and I still can't save patches. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I've already tried the hard and soft resets with no luck and now I'm starting to run out of ideas :cry:
Last edited by kevinmcnasty on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinmcnasty

Re: ESQ-1 Battery Error issues

Postby jxalex » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Does the synthesizer have trouble keeping patches ONLY when you power off?
I mean that all what you do with power-on state is ok, so all you saved you can return to saved patch?

I dont have the service schematics right now.
Have you checked how much voltage will arrive to memory chip pin on data retention mode?

My SQ80 model had similar issue.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby kevinmcnasty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:52 pm

When I power it up I still get the "low battery" error. It basically behaves the same as it did before I changed the battery. Also when I go to the save menu it only says "save to cartridge" which I don't have. I haven't tried checking the voltage to the memory chip, but if you think I should, then I will as soon as I can. Thanks!!
kevinmcnasty

Postby Rasputin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:12 am

Hold down [RECORD] and press [COMPARE]. Keep hitting the button corresponding to READ on the display.

What's the value say for BAT? 000? If so, reinitialize.

If you have the SQX sequencer memory expander, try pulling that. Could also be the -12/+12 analog rails aren't a solid 12VDC. Check the diode that connects the battery to the RAM (should be CR1 or CR3, depending on model).

I know this is really obvious, but you did get the polarity correct on the battery replacement, right?
Rasputin

Postby kevinmcnasty » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 am

It says about 110 under BAT. I pulled the SQX cartridge with no luck. I checked from the positive to the CR1 diode and it shows 2.61 volts. I'm not really sure about the analog rails but I'm starting to think I'm in over my head on this one. I was hoping it was something really obvious that I was doing wrong but I guess not. Thanks again for your help. You guys are the best!!
kevinmcnasty

Postby kevinmcnasty » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:53 am

So apparently not having the keybed plugged into the mainboard was my problem. I didn't want to put it back together if It wasn't fixed but I had no idea that would make a difference. Basically me giving up is what fixed it :D
kevinmcnasty

Postby jxalex » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:41 am

mark the thread as "problem solved" in this case.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods