Help! Restoring a preamp Yamaha CP70b

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
peterkohlmetzmoller

Re: Help! Restoring a preamp Yamaha CP70b

Post by peterkohlmetzmoller » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:03 pm

FET's came home yesterday from Germany, new old stock.
I couldn't resist so I took a chance and changed the FET's; and guess what, everything is in working order again! :D
They indeed where the problem. Changed all of them, took 20 minutes disassembling and everything.

Maybe it was a c**p shot, but I had a feeling they where bad, since the one on the power distribution board was bad in the beginning, and by looking at the service manual, it seemed like they very much are the centerpiece of the preamp.

So for future problems for other cp70/80 owners with bad pre-amps; check voltages and check/change the FET's, and hope you find this post :-)

Thank you so much guys for second opinions and advising me!
All the best greetings from Peter

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Help! Restoring a preamp Yamaha CP70b

Post by madtheory » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:56 am

Good news :)