Wanted: Anyone still burn PAL chips?

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
Rasputin

Wanted: Anyone still burn PAL chips?

Post by Rasputin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:49 am

I know the world has primarily moved on to GAL [Generic Array Logic] chips (if even still those), but does anyone out there still burn their own PAL [Programmable Array Logic] chips?

I've got a project that might need a small run of PAL16R4 DIP-20 ICs made up, if anyone still loves to tinker with obsolete chip programming.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Wanted: Anyone still burn PAL chips?

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:16 pm

I'd ask around in the C64 community, as that computer has a couple PALs that occasionally need to be replaced, and there have been significant efforts in that regard in recent years. You might try Lemon 64 for a start.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Rasputin

Re: Wanted: Anyone still burn PAL chips?

Post by Rasputin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 pm

Shhh, you're giving away the good secrets :) By which I mean, a lot of synth/sampler repair help is often best found on forums for Amiga, C64, JAMMA, MAME, et al. Come here for the service manual and EPROMs, go to an arcade forum for how to read out protected PAL chips :)

That was probably my next stop, or maybe buyICnow.com, but thought I'd try here first. I'm hoping I can just drop in a GAL instead anyway, but we'll find out. Nothing ruins a good project like dead proprietary chips--that bullshit pisses me off.