Waldorf XT Repair - Reputable shop?

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
Reyx

Waldorf XT Repair - Reputable shop?

Post by Reyx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi, i'm searching for a reputable repair shop that has experience with Waldorf synths. My XT has been acting quite weird lately and i'm wanting to get it checked out. Will appreciate any comments, thanks.

urgetoplay

Re: Waldorf XT Repair - Reputable shop?

Post by urgetoplay » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:51 pm

It would help if you gave your location.

East coast US I'd recommend Retrolinear in Pennsylvania.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

Reyx

Post by Reyx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:01 pm

urgetoplay wrote:It would help if you gave your location.

East coast US I'd recommend Retrolinear in Pennsylvania.
I'm based on the East Coast of U.S. but i'm willing to send it wherever as long as the shop is reputable. Thanks, i'll check out Retrolinear.

Also, does anyone know if musictek is still operational in CA? I'm finding zero info on them online.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:55 am

i'd recommend our tech if you were looking to do a full restoration of a vintage analog, but he's not interested in repairing waldorf products. id recommend contacting waldorf and finding an authorized service center.
good luck!
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Before you send it anywhere try pushing down on all of the chips first and reseating them if needed. I had similar issues with an XT once and that fixed it.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Reyx

Post by Reyx » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:33 pm

plikestechno wrote:Before you send it anywhere try pushing down on all of the chips first and reseating them if needed. I had similar issues with an XT once and that fixed it.
Were your notes acting quite strange as well? I attempted to do a Flash ROM erase via holding UNDO + UTILITY while powering up, but for some reason that wouldn't wipe the OS. It just initialized all the presets and brought me back to the main page stating "OS 2.33" etc.

Reyx

Post by Reyx » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:43 pm

minime123 wrote:i'd recommend our tech if you were looking to do a full restoration of a vintage analog, but he's not interested in repairing waldorf products. id recommend contacting waldorf and finding an authorized service center.
good luck!
mini
I've contacted a few shops and they are also uninterested in checking out Waldorf products. I've contacted Waldorf themselves, but they don't seem to be replying. It's strange because I don't believe the issue is that large of a fix... And possibly it is just an OS issue that is troublesome to de-bug. The synth is in perfect functioning order and every knob/button works. It just seems that the input is being eaten on certain notes when played consecutively and the volume drops.

I'll leave a detailed description in this thread incase someone with experience could possibly diagnose the issue:

"My XT is refusing to erase flash memory. I hold down UTILITY + UNDO while powering up and the screen states "Erasing flash..." and then "Initializing S " and "Initilazing M" and supposedly the XT should be a non-functional unit until you reload the OS on it. In my case, the XT reverts all presets to Init and goes back to the Main System page reading "Waldorf Microwave XT Version 2.33". This is the first issue I'm noticing.

The second one is that I noticed that the Init presets and factory presets are acting very strange. I had a simple midi chord sequence playing bar after bar and I noticed each individual chord sounds different, when in theory they should all sound identical. I performed a System Dump and that helped temporarily as the Init presets were working fine, but the issue comes back after the synth is powered off for a while or if I enter "Demo Mode" and attempt to use any  patch there. It also seems that note length has an effect on this strange behavior.

Here are some audio examples: This is a init patch with a stagnant chord sequence with no changes at all, the same identical chord playing one after the other. There are no spaces in between each chord.
https://clyp.it/f0i2gemc

The chord is changing when it should sound identical to the last one"