Casio FZ1

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Casio FZ1

Postby madtheory » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:44 pm

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby Robber1956 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Allright, what is your solution for this then? With HxC or Gotek floppy emulator you can load but not edit.
Only thing I can think of is analyze the signals from the FZ's mobo to the display's PCB and program an Arduino with a LCD/OLED and SD card so you can navigate thru the FZ's menu.
Robber1956

Gear: Yamaha DX100,FB-01,TX81z,TX802,TX7, YS100
Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Strat, Ampeg VT40
Atari MegaSTE, MegaST4, STe,STfm, MiST

Postby madtheory » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 am

That's not the point. You're imagining a ridiculously disastrous scenario where every FZ in the world gets this problem. And it's not such a huge disaster you have on your hands either, because with the two examples you posted you can still edit. The parameters you can't see can be done by ear. You can still navigate to the parameter perfectly well! OK you were unlucky with your machines, but that's all.

Notwithstanding that, I'll hazard a guess at a replacement display solution. I don't know much about displays, and logic circuits/ CPU output was never my strong point. I don't think an Arduino is needed, the programming is already "there" so to speak. I don't understand what the SD card is for? The hard part is finding a display of this size. Maybe it's possible to run two or three standard oleds with some kind of voltage conversion for the levels? The conversion part seems straightforward, hideawaystudio has done it for several of his synths. All you need to know is Ohm's law and how to read a data sheet :)

More pragmatically, you can use the old FZ editor on an old PC with FZF format, convert in the hxc software and maybe tweak later on the Casio. That's what I do with mine. Easier than menu diving all the time. As a bonus it has a really bad sample rate converter, sounds nice and crunchy :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby Silverfish » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Just checking in: did anyone ever find a solution for a Casio FZ screen replacement?
Silverfish

Band: Silverfish

Previous

Return to Samplers