Akai S612 Sound Library Archive Project.

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Akai S612 Sound Library Archive Project.

Post by themilford » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Hey guys,

No Talky, Long Time.

I'm interested in acquiring the entire collection of Akai S612 sample library Quick Disks. I have a couple. I stupidly traded some away over the years... but because they are often mishandled and misidentified it's hard to source and purchase them. Sometimes a huge lot shows up and I don't have the funds to bid or purchase. But in the end my goal is to own and archive the entire collection and make all the samples available in different formats online.

Not sure where to start to involve this community, but I've considered a small crowdfunding page. The only selfish aspect would be that the funds would help me to acquire the physical collection; But after that any funds left over would go toward preservation and archiving and making it public. This would include any hardware, repair, software and doodads I might need to make this so. I would even be open to partnering or forming a collective in the case of not completing the collection myself.

Your guys' thoughts, criticisms and help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
DJ

Rasputin

Re: Akai S612 Sound Library Archive Project.

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 pm

Great idea, but I think you're just going to have to save up and do it yourself because generally people don't care about this stuff unless someone does the work and offers it for free.

I tried to organize a group buy for firmware, service manuals, and schematics and got no responses, yet people come on here every day and ask for <xyz>.

But hey, it's a fringe interest, I guess.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:31 am

Rasputin wrote:Great idea, but I think you're just going to have to save up and do it yourself because generally people don't care about this stuff unless someone does the work and offers it for free....
:lol: - yeh ain't that the truth!

I see QDs pop up on eBay, even smallish collections of genuine AKAI library disks, but... prices are rising and everyone will want the wavs for free anyway. It amazes me when, should there be a disk missing from the entire freebie collection, someone will get all upset and become abusive. :roll: Life is too easy for some.

I agree, make your own collection, will take time, effort and money but then you get what you want. A big part of the fun with collecting is the hunt.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Sign me up. When you have it together, I'll pay you for the WAVs.

logix

Post by logix » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:55 pm

I had an X-7000 myself, which I sold years ago, but fondly remember several very nice samples I had from those Akai QD disks. I now have a different sampler, but it would be great to source those sounds again.

I think the OP's idea is great, and it would be a win-win for everybody. Have you had any progress so far?
I believe there was some software back in the day which allowed you to MIDI sysex-dump from those Akai samplers (S-612/S-700/X-7000) over to a computer (typically an Atari ST). Is that how you're going to build the library and convert the samples for other formats?

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:41 pm

logix wrote:Have you had any progress so far?
I believe there was some software back in the day which allowed you to MIDI sysex-dump from those Akai samplers (S-612/S-700/X-7000) over to a computer (typically an Atari ST). Is that how you're going to build the library and convert the samples for other formats?
I have acquired a small batch. All new from europe, mostly percussion. I know this will be a slow endeavor but I will keep slogging away at it. I expect I will have to buy whole collections with samplers... so expect me to be refurbing/repairing MD280s and selling them here.

I'm actually looking for the Atari ST programs that can do this. I think it's the best way to archive. The program was called Soundfiler by Drumware. There was also a program called Genwave.

I also plan to do analog archives as well on master half-track. No s**t.